Fair & Balanced? | Teen Ink

Fair & Balanced? MAG

I would like to ask why, even though Iread every issue of Teen Ink, I have yet to notice a pro-war, or evencentrist, piece of writing. While I do entertain the thought that I mayhave missed them, I doubt that this is the case. As editors of anational publication, is it not your duty to show both sides of anissue, or if you are not, make it plain what your political influence isas far as content is concerned?

I submit to you that people andinstitutions that are strictly anti-war and promote this idealare actually helping to fuel the insurgency in Iraq. I base this notonly on my own thoughts, but the accounts of soldiers in the field. I donot mean to say that people must be pro-war - in fact, I think it isgood that people here are free to express their dissent - but I wouldthink since most of you claim to be patriots, could you not help us winthe war by perhaps not protesting it or maybe even supporting thesoldiers, and when the last of the troops are home, then start playingthe blame game?

I do not mean to offend, but I would not besurprised if more Americans are dying in Iraq because of your protestsdenouncing sending our sons [and daughters] to their deaths. I think itis truly amazing that our soldiers do their job, serve their country,and then come home to protesters and bashers saying that the soldierswere duped and that the war is illegal. It is astounding that thesepeople love our country enough to call the people putting their lives onthe line stupid, and even war criminals.

Editor’sNote: Because Teen Ink publishes work submitted to us ofteenagers’ own free will, we can only choose from what we receive.We invite you to provide the perspective you would like to see in TeenInk. See page 3 for submission guidelines.

JustTaz said...
No one really wants war. Senseless killing and the cost are enough to bankrupt society morally and financially, but you have to defend yourself. If you let ideas that it is okay to kill to promote social ideas, which can happen with extremist of any ideology, it is dangerous to every one else. If someone was to hold a knife to a hostages throat would you not want someone to shoot and potentially kill them in order to save someone innocent? Sometimes violence is justified.

justsaying said...
I think that war should be illegal. I think that killing people for any reason is wrong, and starting wars is beyond wrong. America should be worried about maintaining a strong economy and helping the citizens of her country instead of starting wars.