The Future Is Now | Teen Ink

The Future Is Now

By cferrara BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
cferrara BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Each year, the NFL Draft gives teams and young players a chance for a new beginning. The draft marks the date in each players career where their hard work and dreams become reality. This year, the draft included many surprises and trades, making it a very enjoyable experience to watch.

With the first pick in the NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns selected quarterback Baker Mayfield of the University of Oklahoma. This pick came as a stunner to many, highly due to the fact that Baker was not projected to go first. Mayfield was just one of a highly touted quarterback class, and many believed he was just the third for fourth best QB of the crew. However, general manager, John Dorsey, has been in this position before and believes in his selection. Working in the league for about 29 years now, Dorsey has a high understanding of player development, so young Baker has opportunity to develop. The selection should excite Browns fans all across the nation, as Baker has the future of the franchise in his hands.

Following the Browns, the New York Giants held the second pick in the draft. THe Giants were in a tough situation as both the best quarterback, Sam Darnold, and arguably the best player in the draft, running back, SaQuon Barkley, were both on the board. As Eli Manning gets older and older, the Giants are starting to have a pressing need at the quarterback position. However, new general manager, Dave Gettleman, felt that Eli still has the juice left in the tank, so he picked SaQuon Barkley. Being the talented player Barkley is, the Penn State running back is expected to have an immediate impact on the Giants offense.

And with the third pick, the New York Jets selected quarterback, Sam Darnold of the University of Southern California. Darnold, as mentioned, was considered the best quarterback in the draft by multiple analysts. The firing red-head QB has all the goods to be a professional quarterback and just needs a few touches in his game to be the best. For instance, Darnold needs to learn how to protect the ball both in and out of the pocket. Darnold has struggled carrying the ball, but the big plays he creates makes up for it all. Jets fans are pumped for the pick and hope that Darnold will lead them to their first Super Bowl in over 50 years.

Outside of the first three picks included some shockers. Some people were shocked with Denzel Ward going fourth, the Saints trading next years first for Marcus Davenport, and the Ravens trading back into the first round for Lamar Jackson. For only the future knows, these shockers may come out to be the greatest pick or the worst, so much is looked forward to. Teams may change their philosophies because of these players, and it could change the face of their franchise. The future is now.