Nightmare | Teen Ink

Nightmare

August 11, 2015
By CherryYing BRONZE, Santa Monica, California
CherryYing BRONZE, Santa Monica, California
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make LEMONADE!


“… No! No!!!!!!......no………!” She rouses suddenly from sleep with her hands grasping on hair, which makes her look exactly like a mother lion. Tiffany tries to calm herself down, so she started staring at the ceiling; after sustaining that position for a while, she utters a long sigh…

   

Today, the breaking news of an anthropophagous auto-staircase catches Tiffany’s heart. During the whole day, she keeps visual the mom and her two-year old son on that auto-staircase, but the tottering board sank when they were trying to get off. The son got inhalant into the ground, and then followed the mother; after last-ditch struggle, Mother jacked up the son before she forever drawn to the dark ground. All things happened in less than 1 minute… In no more than 60 seconds, a son lost his mom, a husband lost his wife, a family lost its daughter, a company lost its employee… due to the careless and lack of responsibility of the maintenance company.
   

The night makes things much more horrible; Tiffany lies on the bed and could get her mind off it. She keeps staring at the ceiling, and she feels like her mind has never been that lucid. The kid without toes and mother is sleeping in hospital while his grandparents are crying on the side of his bed; his red-eyed dad is making phone calls beside the hospital window and smoking heavily. The mother’s funeral is in three days- a funeral without the dead body; they don’t know whether the son will be able to attend it or not. He’s too young, and he needs recuperation after doctors get rid of his clipped broken toes…
   

She turns her face toward the window. Under the night light’s illumination, the cars speed by as if the tears of the world. Will the family inform against the maintenance company? Will the kid become a responsible engineer and be very strict about the quality of his work? Or will this thing throw a gloom over the kid forever? ... Is the kid going to remember this or will he forget how great his mom is? Is he going to be proud of his mom or will he feel self-abased because he grows up without maternal love? Is the society going to realize its fault or will the residents lost trust of the country?
    

Turning back to her pillow, Tiffany tosses and turns restlessly, thinking about the news of the anthropophagous auto-staircase…
    

At that moment, the large city screen reported another auto-staircase event- a twelve-year old got caught the same way as that mother and the son, but this time, passers-by restrained the running of the staircase and saved her life…


The author's comments:

That night, I was lying on my bed and couldn't go to sleep; I keep thinking about the news of the anthropophagous auto-staircase which was reported during the day. I cared about what was happening then in that unluckly family... So I imagined...

I hope this is the last time and the only time that this type of tragedy took place.