Light in darkness | Teen Ink

Light in darkness

By _Oblivious_ BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
_Oblivious_ BRONZE, El Paso, Texas

As I was walking through the mountain trails, all I could see was smoke and ashes. All of the trees had been completely burned and there wasn't any evidence of a living thing. It was quiet and lonely, just like and abandoned cemetery. I was surrounded by complete darkness. Everything about this place felt sad and gloomy.
The moon was bright and partially covered by dark black clouds. As I looked up at the sky, I saw the moon tremble. Something bright fell from it and hit the other side of the mountain. It was blurry and I couldn't make out a shape of it. I started running up making my way to the top of the mountain as fast as I could. I was really eager to see what fell.
I could see a faint glow in the distance with every step I took to the top. Ashes of all different sizes surrounded it. When I reached the top I stopped in amusement. There was what seemed to be a star in the floor. It was really bright and almost the size of a car. As I started making my way over to it, something started to come out of it. I stopped, partially terrified and curious, and I saw it growing. What was it? A tentacle? A stick? A pole? I wasn't sure but it looked beautiful.
As I took another step, it stopped growing and started curving to one side. It was shaped somewhat like a candy cane. Then it started opening up just like a flower does. I walked up to it and branches started coming out of it. They were slowly moving to all different directions. That’s when I realized what it really was; a tree! My jaw dropped to the floor as I saw leafs blooming out of the branches. It was really alluring.
As I touched the tree, it gave out a faint glow. I could feel it full of life. The rest of the star in the floor changed almost instantly. It turned lime-green and soft until it looked like grass. I felt myself smirking a bit as I knew the forest would grow again. I sat down reclining my back in the trunk of the tree watching thousands of other stars starting to fall like a meteor rain. The whole place lit up as it was full of life.