Above The Speed Limit | Teen Ink

Above The Speed Limit

By zjanaciah BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
zjanaciah BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Knowledge Is Power

Above The Speed Limit

Adelaide Farber observed quietly as the rain battered down against the slightly tinted and barred windows like a hail of bullets. The voices, too loud in her head, made it impossible for her to hear the click of the lock as a nurse waltzed in. Adelaide held a stoic expression as the nurse came closer to her, and as the nurse’s long bony fingers clasped her cotton clad shoulder the voices in her head stopped. She curled into herself rapidly as if she had been burned by the heat of a thousand suns, and then the voices started again. Only louder. She began to murmur as her thoughts became more disheveled than they normally were. She scratched at her scalp with her dull bitten down nails as the volume of the voices increased. Then nothing. She had a look of bewilderment on her face as she looked at the nurse. Empty steel grey eyes stared at her blue ones.
“ Your parents are here. Its time for you to go.”
Adelaide began to get up, and the nurse waited by the door as she made her way across the carpeted floor. Her blue eyes wandered around the white room with padded walls and the firm twin bed with white linens, and a semi thick scratchy blanket. This was all she has known for the time she has been here, which was still unknown to her. She doesn’t know the date or year; hell she forgets her own age sometimes.
The white velcro strapped shoe she wore squeaked across the non slip poly vinyl floors of Traverse City State Hospital, a her and the nameless plain jane nurse walked towards the receptionist desk.

“Why is you always so quiet ? Dontcha talk?
“Because I can. Why do you speak when you’re illiterate? But it’s understanding seeing as you spent a great amount of time here. Now quiet.”

Adelaide remained quiet.
They approached the receptionist desk, and her parents came into view. The first thing Adelaide was able to see was the hostility between the spouses. Gerard and Annabelle Farber were the epitome of anger.
Gerard looked like a politician. Serious, body clad in a fancy suit with shiny shoes to complete the look. Ginger red hair, and green eyes that were hard and domineering.
Annabelle was the complete opposite. She had a plain jane look about her, but also a motherly look. Blonde hair, pale skin and blue eyes. Annabelle took a moment to look at her daughter. Strawberry blonde hair, her blue eyes, and pale skin.She had her eyes but she was truly her father’s child. They were so alike, practically identical.
Adelaide felt delicate arms wrap around her fragile frame, and melted into her mothers touch. Her father soon joins the hug.
Adelaide sits on a hard waiting room chair a her parents fill out the release forms. Her eyes wandered across the room and was met with a calendar. She remembers the day she was admitted clearly; surprisingly. July 16th, 2009, a hot summer day but now it’s… October 17th, 2014.. 5 YEARS !
5 YEARS !
5 YEARS melted away surrounded by the same 4 walls. She was  17 and never before has she felt so melancholy. She was locked away so long.
ADELAIDE !
ADELAIDE !
A loud noise pulled her out of her reverie.
“Are you ready to go ? Finally get out of here? “
“Yes”
“Now Adelaide, remember what Dr.Kaufmann said. Just because we’re releasing you doesn’t mean you’re better. Cured. You have improved greatly and are free to leave, just under supervision. Take care Ms. Farber.”
Adelaide left the hospital, a parent on either side. The telltale sound of the car doors unlocking filled the air, and everyone filled the car. The car pulled onto the street and Adelaide watched as the car drove through Traverse City, Michigan. As the family of three started to approach the was sharply curved , which led to their home in the suburbs, Adelaide noticed the young privileged crackers and negros playing in the neighborhood playground.She watched as the foliage surrounded road passed by in fascination.
Yelling brought her back to the present . To hear the anger in their voices and feel the tension sent Adelaide in a panic. As the yelling grew, the car went faster; approaching the bend quicker. In her frenzied state, she looked out the window and saw the sign that read SPEED LIMIT 15 MPH. Her wild eyes lock on the speedometer and saw that they were going about 55 MPH. They were well above the speed limit. The voices in her head began again, causing her to clutch her head, wishing they’d stop. Her stomach clenched up as she saw the bend impossibly close, her father turning his head forward too late. The front of his Toyota Camry crashing through the bend; foot crashing against the brakes, steering wheel spinning, causing the car to flip of the ground and be in the air, defying gravity. We were airborne for about 10 seconds before i felt the opposite side of the car crash against the ground. Airborne again, but a little longer. As I looked out of the glassless window I saw nothing but open space, gravity kicking back in as we dropped off the cliff and onto awaiting ground. The car banged against rocks and cliffside until we reached the bottom. Right in the middle of a semi busy street…
In and out of consciousness, delirious, bloody and sticky,Adelaide heard the sirens. She tried to stay awake but darkness overtook her.
No survivors. Although one thing did survive. One hospital patient bracelet; bloody but intact.

Adelaide Jane Farber- DOB: 10/18/1997 - Traverse City State Hospital
SCHIZOPHRENIC

This was my first tragedy/angst and i used my own sadness and descriptive words to piece this story together. It wasn't difficult to write this piece and it had a lot of emotion and feeling in it.