The Lost One | Teen Ink

The Lost One

October 16, 2014
By Anonymous

She stood in the middle of an all-consuming darkness.  The only noise was that of a soft hush – like voices whispering secrets.  She was far from home but her journey was not yet over.  She was so close to getting what she always wanted and if she wanted to have the life she always dreamed of, this was her only way.  Her one chance to break free had finally arrived.  Her one chance that she was going to take and no one could stop her.

 

It was one week ago when she received a letter from an unknown person.  Written on the letter was one sentence that read, “Come find me at the spot where no light can be found and I will grant you what you want most.”  While that should have made her suspicious, she only felt drawn to the unknown person who had written the one sentence.  She never had an easy time growing up.  Always bullied in school and getting in trouble with her parents, she never felt like herself.  The letter opened a door she would not have been able to take on her own.  This one letter became her chance.  It became her chance to find herself and start over.  It became her chance to re-create herself into something better.

 

So there she stood.  She stood in the spot where no light could be found.  She stood in the middle of an all-consuming darkness.  As she continued to stand, the hushed voices became louder and louder until finally, they stopped.  Silence reigned but she soon realized she was not alone.  She was surrounded on all sides by figures that were masked by the darkness.  One of the figures stepped forward and approached her slowly.

 

Now as this figure approached her, she felt a calming sensation settle around her.  She knew in that moment that he sent the letter.  When the figure finally reached her, she was able to see what he was.  He reached for her hand and she allowed him to take it.  As he held her hand, she felt as if she belonged for once in her life.  She made a promise to herself that this was her chance.  Her one chance to break free.  As she made this promise, his dark wings surrounded her and she felt comfort.

 

Soon there was nothing.  The spot where no light can be found was empty.  She was gone.  He was gone.  The other figures were gone.  Nothing but darkness and silence remained.  Her new life started the second she allowed herself to be swept away by the prospect of starting over. 

 

All it took was a lost and lonely girl who had no hope for the future to be reeled in by a force much stronger than she.  She was unsuspecting of what was to come so he took his chance.  He took his chance because he knew he could and she fell for it.  She fell for the prospects he offered her because she thought it was her only chance for things to finally chance from bad to good for her.

 

But little did she know how much her life would change, for she had sold her soul to the Devil for the rest of her life.