I Shouldn't Trust A Soul | Teen Ink

I Shouldn't Trust A Soul

September 29, 2014
By NatStyles BRONZE, Ventnor City, New Jersey
NatStyles BRONZE, Ventnor City, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A real girl isnt perfect, and a perfect girl isnt real."
- Harry Styles


Run. Run and don't stop. Running was all that was going to save me, running was all that was going get me away, running was all the would've saved me. I just needed speed, but what can i do now? Just watch.
    The sun looked more yellow today, the sky looked more blue, and the world seemed more happy. My day was superb-fantastic-wonderful-magnificent-extraordinary- it couldn't get any better. I got a 98 on my math test, I got to talk to my crush Alexander Sacher, and got accepted to the high school I've been longing to go to... Mount Westchester High. My smile was tattooed to my face.
      I was walking on Fremont street when i saw my neighbor John Cay hammering a gray nail on the last step of the tree house he was building. It took him three whole months to finish it with help from his crew from his job as a constructor.
       "Hi Savannah, would you like to check out the tree house. It looks phenomenal from the inside?" John Cay's voice was deep and raspy, though from his appearance you'd think it wouldn't be as deep. John is a short man in his sixties and has sky blue eyes. John has been my neighbor for as long as i remember.
       "Sorry John i cant today i have to study for a test i have tomorrow, and i don't want to be late for dinner again. Why don't you show another kid in the neighborhood, i bet they'd enjoy more than i would." My turquoise book bag was really heavy with all of my enormous textbooks and i just wanted to go home to eat, i was starving. But i don't think John understood.
         "Oh come on i insist, i need someones opinion on it it. Besides it will only take five minutes." I agreed.
          John led the way inside the cozy tree house and i followed carrying my heavy book bag. It wasn't easy to climb all 10 steps in my red jeans, but once i went up there it was amazing. It had loads of toys and interesting things to look at, although the place was pretty small and no more than three people could fit in it. I sat down on this little chair looking around, and saw the John was waiting for my opinion.
      "This place is truly extraordinary, i bet all the neighborhood children will enjoy it. But John i really got to go." I thanked him for everything and started for the steps. My white cardigan was making me sweat and my book bag was making my shoulders hurt. It wouldn't be easy to go to down but as soon as was at the  second step on my way down John called my name and told me not to go yet. I told him i had to go and kept going on with my descent. John grabbed my hand, tried pulling me back up, i let go and started running.
       My speed was no where compared to the one of a cheetah. I ran like Katniss from the hunger games. My house was three blocks away but it was already dark, i knew that when i got home i would be in major trouble. The dark streets were empty, behind me no one was there. Not even John, maybe i outran him? I'm not that fast though and as i kept running i felt invincible, i wasn't tired i felt like i had all the energy in the world.
        "Mom? Dad?" In the kitchen i heard the clattering of plates and the chatter of my family. I heard my mom questioning to my younger sister Lizzie about where i was. So, i set my now empty book bag and sprinted to the kitchen. "Mom, hi, something happened today with John. He-" My mom didn't look at me nor did my dad or my sister. Something was wrong.
         A week later I found out John had killed me, a guy i knew since i was a baby. He disposed of my body so no one would find it, down a cliff and into Rocky River. The police didn't find any signs that it was him and everyone just concluded that i had ran away. But others believed I was kidnapped. No one thought i was dead.