Demented | Teen Ink

Demented

By katherine salcido SILVER, Lewisville, Texas
katherine salcido SILVER, Lewisville, Texas

Katherine Salcido
Demented
Chapter two

I woke up to the sound of beeping. I kept my eyes shut; frightened of what I will see when I open them. My alarm clock surpassed my thought and I reached over and hit the snooze button. I slowly opened my eyes to see a yellow-white haze peeping through my windows, illuminating the room with heavenly colors.

The bright green numbers tell me its 7:00. Oh yeah, the first day of school. I forgot how waking up early felt like. But I guess that’s one of summers favorite games, apart from also forgetting everything learned from school. I get up wincing in pain from my arms. So the nightmare really happened. My arms feel raw and tired, stiff from the bandages; I got up to get ready. I skipped the shower, no need to re-bandage my arms, got dressed, tried to do my hair, but decided to put a brush through it, and headed for the kitchen. I heated up some coffee and prepared a delicious blueberry bagel with strawberry cream cheese. As I was munching down on my breakfast, a note on the fridge caught my eye.
It said:
Sorry Hun, I won’t be able to see you until this evening.
I’ll bring Chinese. Have a nice day at school!
See you at dinner- Mom
Of course, change of plans. I guess the doctor’s need more of her. Do they make all the nurses stay after their shifts? I shake my head as I look at my every day house; worn out furniture, a loveseat couch, a flat screen, and photos of mother and me. Dad had left years ago, never allowed to step foot in this house or contact us. The memories of the past began to surface and a cold shiver ran through me. I could feel the tears coming, trailing down my pale white cheek. No, now was not the time to recall them.
I wiped my face, and looked down at my watch to see it was already 7:55. I grabbed my steamed hot coffee, snatched my keys off the counter, and slammed the door of my 1997 year old Volkswagen. Driving down to Lewisville high, I chugged my coffee, looking for a parking space. Ahead, a silver Honda and a beat up SUV sat along each other with a gap between. A red car in front sees it too. Since none of us bothered to give each other the space, I charged her up. We were head-to -head, and before we could crash, I pushed hard on the brakes. The Camaro slid in and parked. The bumper sticker read, “Eat my gas”. Audriana Adalan stepped out of the driver’s seat along with her sidekicks; Malorie Leonard and Susana Palmer. They look at me and my car, scoff, then sauntered up the steps.
You could have taken her out Angel.
I whip my head, blocking the noises on my head, when a car behind me honked. Finally o find a space, look to see of anyone else wanted a challenge, and parked. I got out and went to meet Jessica. She wrapped her arms around me and says, “Angie! I am so glad to see you! That trip to Colorado made me miss you so much. What- Oh my gosh! Angie what happened to you?” she grabs my arms.

“Oowwww!” I screeched in pain. I guess my gray long-sleeves were no match for Jessica. “ I, uh, had a bad dream.” Or should I say nightmare.

“A bad dream? What in the blue moon is a dream going to do to you?” She peers at me with her blue clear eyes.

More than you think, I thought.

“So you thought of cutting yourself?” loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Be quiet! No I did not think of cutting myself. Listen it’s hard to explain, okay. I’ll tell later, I promise,” I respond to her.

“There better be a good reason. I don’t want you to turn up emo on me.” She tells me seriously.

Neither do I.

*******************************************************************************

“Now class, today we are going to go over the syllabus of what I am expecting from you,” Ms. Colon explains. I block her out as I look around to see math posters and Algebra books along the shelves. Boring, dull, and tedious, is the monotone of Ms. Colon’s voice. I wonder if I were to asleep right now, she would notice. And to make everything better the new fresh paint and wax have given me a headache.

Nothing seems to interest you, Angel.
“Stop calling me that,” I say aloud.
“Is there something you would like to say Miss Angela?” she confronts, drawing the class to gawk at me.

“Uh, no,” feeling the heat on my cheeks.

“Well then, as I was saying-“
I ignore her as I peer over my schedule; Algebra 2, Spanish 2, P.E and Physics. Jess’s schedule read; English III, Health and Physics, so I only get to see her during passing periods, lunch, third and Fourth hour. Interrupting my thoughts, the bell rings. The rest of the day passes on with a blur. I stashed my books in my locker, deciding I would save it for a rainy day, when suddenly my eyes are wrapped my hands.
“I know it’s you Jess.” The hands drawled back and I see a guy in front of me. “Oh, hi Damien,” Stifling a smile.
“Hey Angela, how’s it going?” he smiles.
“Oh you know the usual.”
Then he laughs as if it’s the funniest thing he’s heard.
“Good one. Hey, uh, listen I know it’s the first day and all but I was wondering if maybe you’d like to-“
“Angie! There you are. Sorry I’m late. Mrs. Hymn can be such a- oh hey Damien what brings you here?” noticing him.
Damien’s face flushed a dark pink, and turned to leave.
“What was that all about?” She asked me but I shrugged my shoulders.
I know why he got embarrassed. Everyone knows he’s had a crush on me, even Jess. He attempted to ask me out, but with Jess’s interruption and burst of scene, he saw the chance pass. I feel sorry for him because Damien and I are better off as friends. Well, given off as how this year will bring, all these guys are better off as friends. I guess no one comes to interest.
Seems like no one is good enough for sweet little Angel. Maybe you want someone who would give your life a thrill.
“Did you hear that?” I ask Jess as I whip my head.
“Hear what?” she looks at me skeptically.
“You didn’t hear anything?” I ask her again because I don’t want to sound crazy.
“You’re freaking me out, Angela?” she steps away from me.
And I know I am. Jess never calls me by my full name unless if it were serious.
“Never mind, I guess I’m just hearing things.”I run my shaky fingers through my hair.
“What you need is more sleep.” She turns to leave, wanting me to follow.
No, what I need is less sleep.

sequel

WonTonFred1 SILVER, North Salt Lake, Utah

If you can't convince them confuse them-Harry Truman

don't go immediatly from the pain in her arm at the begining straight to a bad dream have her slowly remember it then continue your story other then that great work.