Involuntarily Abdicating Powers | Teen Ink

Involuntarily Abdicating Powers

April 9, 2012
By Michael_Butler BRONZE, Dahlgren, Illinois
Michael_Butler BRONZE, Dahlgren, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sweat was dripping off Rush Giovanni’s nose. It wasn’t because the room was hot – every room in the Hilton was set to sixty-five degrees. It was because he was very nervous. He had never thought about murdering anyone before, let alone doing it for a living.
Every time he started having second thoughts he pulled out his wallet. The lack of money and the pictures of his two beautiful teenage daughters and amazing wife reminded him of his situation. What will happen to my family if our house foreclosed? What if I can’t provide for my children? They can’t live without food.
He started shaking when he heard three knocks on the hotel room door, which was the signal he and his future employer had agreed upon the day before. “Wait a second,” Giovanni yelled, making his way to the bathroom. He splashed water on his face and tried to calm himself. Come on Giovanni, this is the only solution.
He opened the door slowly; nervous about what the guy might look like. He had only talked to him on the phone the day before and his voice seemed pretty rough then.
Giovanni sat down on the bed, the mattress was as hard as a rock, but he wasn’t sitting there for comfort. He was afraid he wouldn’t be able to stand much longer; his nerves were getting to him. “Have a seat.” He said, motioning toward an empty chair. He turned the chair so it was facing Giovanni instead of the television on the opposite side of the room.

“There aren’t any cameras or recording devices in here are there?” The man said as soon as he sat down. He was at least six foot five and was wearing an Armani suit, the epitome of intimidation.

“No sir.” Giovanni replied anxiously. He thought about describing his current situation to prove his determination. Before he could get up the courage to say anything he realized that it could also make him seem weak and unorganized, qualities that he didn’t want to portray in an interview for this profession. He had a flashback to a movie he had seen on cable a year or two ago where an assassin was ripped off by the person who was hiring him. “Have you got the money?” He asked, trying to avoid a similar situation.
“Yes. I have seven-hundred and fifty thousand here, you'll get the other half when the job is done.” He said, patting the briefcase. “But there are a couple important details we need to go over first.”
“Alright, like what?” Giovanni replied.
“You will be killing the President. There is going to be a. . .”
“Wait a second. Do you mean the President of the United States?” Giovanni said, cutting the man off mid-sentence.
“Yeah, that’s correct. This is an inside job. There is going to be a Halloween party tonight for military families. It’s the perfect opportunity. Show up around 6:30 and make sure you wear a costume.” The man said. “Don’t tell anybody about this, not even your wife. This is for the benefit of the United States, maybe even the entire world."

“Alright.” Giovanni said, shaking the man’s hand with left hand and grabbing the briefcase with his right.
.
.
.
“Are you sure this is the right thing to do?” The Secretary of State said. “Wouldn’t impeaching him be much easier?”
“In order to impeach him he has to do something unconstitutional or illegal. He hasn’t done either of them. The only thing he is guilty of is being a horrible president.” The Vice President replied, annoyed by the Secretary’s ignorant question.
“I just feel like there has to be a different solution, a legal solution. Maybe if we think about it for a while longer we’ll come up with something great.”
“You know just as well as I do that the President has been taking bribes. He took one from Ford last week, that's why the Chevy Volt was discontinued. Ford paid him to pass all those ignorant regulations. We can't have that, it is completely unethical." The Vice President replied, trying to console the Secretary. He could tell she was starting to get cold feet.
“Yeah, yeah. I guess you are right.” The Secretary replied.
“It’s too late to change our minds anyway. I sent Agent Jones to meet the hit man this morning. He’ll probably call any minute to say how the meeting went.” He said as he pulled his phone out of his pocket.
.
.
.
Giovanni’s phone rang as he opened the door to his suburban. He pulled his iPhone out of his right pocket; the caller ID said Jennifer. He answered it nervously; afraid of what she might ask.
“Hello honey, how is the job hunt going?” His wife said sweetly.
Giovanni didn’t know what to say; what would his wife do if she found out he had just been hired to murder the POTUS. “I think it’s going pretty well; I just finished my first interview, actually.” He realized that if he stayed on the phone any longer she’d ask him who the interview was with and what kind of job it was for. “I have to get off here; I’ll talk to you once I get home.”
“Alright, I love you. I think we’re going to get through this.”
“I sure hope so; I love you, too.” Giovanni said as he pulled into Wal-Mart parking lot.
.
.
.
“Where are the Halloween costumes?” Giovanni asked the elderly door greeter as he walked into Wal-Mart.
“Aisle twelve.” He replied, pointing to his right.
“Thanks.” Giovanni said snappily, heading in the direction the door greeter indicated. Aisle twelve was filled with parents and their children. Parents were fighting with their children over which costumes they could and couldn’t wear or which were too expensive. This is going to be a struggle, Giovanni thought to himself, dodging two girls fighting over a princess peach costume. He saw a Men in Black costume out of the corner of his eye. As he made his way to the end of the aisle he saw that a huge man who was either a biker or was trying his hardest to look like one. He was taking the last of the Men in Black costumes.
“There is no way you are going to fit in that costume sir.” Giovanni said, trying to convince him to hand it over.
“What are you trying to say?” The huge biker said angrily. “This is muscle; want me to prove it to you?”
“No, no sir. It’s just that that costume is a medium. I’d really appreciate it if you let me have it.” Giovanni said defensively.
There’s no way that I can beat this guy up for a costume, especially in the middle of Wal-Mart. Maybe if I push him I can take the costume and run. He gave the biker a shove, knocking him into princess peach fans.
“Get off my daughter, you pervert!” A woman yelled as Giovanni took the last costume and ran. He made it to the cash register without seeing the biker again.
“Hello, will this be all for you today?” The teenage cashier said cheerfully.
“Yeah, I am going to a Halloween party tonight. Needed to buy a costume.” Giovanni said, trying not to sound suspicious.
“That sounds like a lot of fun.” Allix – or at least that’s what her nametag said – replied sarcastically. “That will be twenty-one o’five.” She said as the receipt printed.
.
.
.
Raleigh was angry as he walked out of Wal-Mart. Why did that jerk have to steal the last Men in Black costume out of right out of his hands? He saw the guy two rows over, climbing into his suburban, costume in hand. I really need that costume, I am going to follow him, Raleigh thought to himself. Missing one session with my psychiatrist won’t hurt that much, he thought as he pulled out of the parking lot on his Harley.
.
.
.
“I wonder what’s taking your dad so long.” Jennifer said as she took bowls out of the dishwasher. “He said he was finished with his interview an hour ago.”
“Something must have come up. Mom, don’t worry so much.” Larkin said, rolling her eyes.
“Yeah, you’re probably right. . . He probably just got stuck in traffic or something, this is Washington D.C.” Immediately after she said that the door opened. Giovanni stepped inside holding a Wal-Mart sac.
“Hey honey, Larkin and Lilly were invited to a Halloween party at the DeGeneres’ house tonight. Can you take them over there?”
“Sure, I’ve got some things I need to do in town anyway. What time does it start?”
“I think it starts at six.” Jennifer said as she took plates from the dishwasher.
.
.
.

Raleigh knew it would be suspicious if he sat outside and waited for the costume thief to come out of his house. So, he drove around the block a couple times, ready to get back what was rightfully his.
.
.
.

“Hey girls, it’s time to go.” Giovanni yelled up the stairs, at five thirty.

“Wait a second Dad. We aren’t ready.” Larkin replied obviously annoyed.

“We have thirty minutes to get there and I have some other things to do in town. So it’s now or never!”

Larkin and Lilly got the hint, running down the stairs, so their father wouldn’t have to wait any longer.
.
.
.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks. You better run, better run, outrun my gun. All the other kids with the pumped up kicks. You better run, better run, faster than my bullet.
”Why do you girls have to listen to such crappy music?” Giovanni asked Larkin and Lilly, turning the radio down.
“You think that is ‘Crappy Music’? What do you call what you listen to?” Larkin replied, ready to get out of the car.
Giovanni ignored her response, knowing that arguing with her would get him nowhere. “Have a good time girls, call me when you’re ready to go home.” He said as he pulled up to the curb.
.
.
.
Fortunately for Giovanni the DeGeneres’ house was just two blocks from the White House. He already had his gun and Men in Black costume under the backseat of his suburban, so he climbed in the back and changed.
He saw a big group of kids and their parents heading up to the White House door. He ran up behind the families, gun hidden in the waistband of his pants. Blending in with the crowd was definitely his best bet for getting inside.
He knew that the security would be very strict, he needed to find a way to get inside with his gun. If I put something metal in one of the children’s trick-or-treat basket then the metal detector will go off on them, then I might be able to get in with the gun, Giovanni thought to himself as he pulled some change out of his pocket. There was a little boy in a Spiderman costume right in front of him, his basket half-full of candy. He dropped a couple quarters in and waited for the alarm to go off.
As soon as the alarm went off Spiderman was tackled, his basketful of candy and money falling to the ground. This is my only chance, Giovanni thought to himself, running past the frenzy of people into the White House.
Raleigh followed the thief from a distance, trying his hardest not to be noticed. What the heck is he doing? He thought to himself as he watched him put quarters in Spiderman’s trick-or-treat basket. Man this guy is brilliant, he thought as the alarm went off and Spiderman was tackled; now I can get in with my gun. . .
.
.
.

There were at least 400 chairs set up in rows, all facing the stage. About half of them were already filled so Giovanni picked a seat in the back, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible.
.
.
.
Raleigh stood in the back of the room, waiting for his chance to confront Giovanni. I am going to get that costume if it is the last thing I do, he thought to himself, hoping he can get the costume by seven.
.
.
.
After sitting in the room for thirty-five minutes the President came on stage. “Hello everyone, welcome to the White House. I would like to thank you all for your service overseas, and your families for serving here in the United States. Being from a military family myself I know how tough it is on everyone involved. You guys have no idea what is going to happen to you during combat. Your children and spouses are worried that they are going to have to grow up without a mother, father or spouse. Your parents don’t want to have to bury a son or a daughter, that’s the hardest thing a person can ever do – Trust me, I’ve been through it myself. So remember, tonight is your night!”
.
.
.
The President’s speech only lasted forty-five minutes, but to Giovanni it felt like hours. He made his way to the front of the room, waiting for the President to finish shaking hands. He turned around because he felt someone tap him on the shoulder.
“Why did you take the last Men in Black Costume? I need that one!” Raleigh said.
“Couldn’t you just go to a different Wal-Mart and look for one? How old are you? Five?” Giovanni replied, trying to stop the argument before it got out of hand. Giovanni could see the veins bulging in his face, he was obviously very angry.
“He’s got a gun! The biker has a gun!” A lady screamed. Everyone turned immediately, looking in the direction of Giovanni, Raleigh, and the President.
“That was my costume!” He screamed, firing two shots in Giovanni’s direction. Giovanni dropped to his knees, barely avoiding the two bullets.
“He’s shot the President!” The same lady screamed again. “Our President is dead!”
.
.
.
“There are going to be some major changes around here.” The Vice President whispered into the Secretary of State’s ear. Both of them had huge smiles on their faces. “Yes, Yes indeed.” The Secretary replied, trying to keep her shrill laugh as quiet as possible.