Mortus Es | Teen Ink

Mortus Es

Kirsten White tapped her red pen against her dining room table as her eyes scanned the page for wrong answers. Occasionally, she circled one of the careless answers that one of her Latin students had made. Yawning, she looked at the clock on the wall. It was after ten-thirty and she had been grading for the entire afternoon since she arrived home. Placing her pen on the table, she reached for her coffee cup. She just needed to stay awake for another twenty minutes so she could finish the remaining papers. Taking a long sip, she looked out the window at her beautiful view. She lived in a small suburban town with few houses outlooking the peaceful community that was only a half an hour from Maple-ville High School, where she taught Latin. Placing her nearly empty mug on the table, she pulled out her hair tie and let her chocolate brown hair spill to her shoulders. Shaking it out, she sighed and picked up her pen again. As she finished the last papers, her mind felt a million miles away. There was a lot on her mind these days with everything that was going on in her life, from her divorce with her husband, Colin that had happened nearly a year and a half ago but still left an aching hole in her heart, to her time consuming job that made her so tired every day. However, she loved Latin with all her heart. And she knew Collin was never coming back and that there was hopefully someone else out there who didn't want to have a Latin nerd as a wife. It seemed no one did. Finishing up her papers, she leaned back in her chair, feeling the sense of loneliness. She yawned again as she tucked away the graded papers into her bag for tomorrow and stood up wit her now empty coffee mug. Walking through the average sized house, she entered the kitchen. She was about to put her mug in the sink when a crash came from down the hall, making her drop the mug. It shattered on the floor. Cursing, she forgot the fallen mug and stepped through the house cautiously towards the hallway leading to her bedroom, a guestroom, and a bathroom. Peering hesitantly into the bedroom, she saw nothing. The same went for the guestroom. Feeling her heart pounding in her chest, she took small steps toward the bathroom at the end of the hall. Kirsten held her breath as she looked into the bathroom. A bottle of shampoo was turned sideways, shampoo spewing from the open cap all over the floor. She chuckled nervously to herself as she bent down and picked up the bottle. "Come on Kirsten." She whispered to herself. "You're going crazy." Closing the bottle, she placed it on the edge of the bath tub. Placing a towel over the soap, she cleaned it up and sighed. Kirsten stepped out of the bathroom into the hallway, clutching the soapy towel. Suddenly, a figure appeared from her room and drew a dagger. Kirsten screamed as found herself trapped between the wall and the stranger. A grin spread across the attacker's face as they plunged the blade deep into Kirsten's chest. She cried out in pain, clutching the wound, trying to prevent the blood from seeping out of her. Her attacker thrusted the blade inside her again. They loved the fear and pain in her light green eyes and the way the life seemed to drain from her. She barely could comprehend what was going on as she was stabbed four more times. Wincing in pain, she slid down the wall to the floor. Gasping for air, she caught a glimpse of her attacker, recognizing them. "Y...you..." She choked, fighting to keep her heavy eyes from closing. "You stole my life from me, Kirsten." their voice was vaguely familiar, a twisted version of the voice she had once known. "And now, I take yours." With one quick maneuver, the blade slit across Kirsten's throat. "Mortus es." were the last words she heard before the darkness swept her beneath.

Thought of this while mowing the lanw. **Warning: Contains blood, gore, and violence :)

lzcelloplayer BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts

"It seems that we all look at Nature too much, and live with her too little." ~ Oscar Wilde

Interesting, and I enjoy the title and the use of Latin. I take Latin so I kind of know what it means. You did a good job with it! Keep writing! :D

sammich said...
This is really good. Keep it up, okay? Like, keep writing this stuff, it's intense and amazinnngg! It's so intense and it keeps you interested during the whole thing! A job well done.