The Alley Cat | Teen Ink

The Alley Cat

By Numbthoughts SILVER, Ardmore, Tennessee
Numbthoughts SILVER, Ardmore, Tennessee

It was midnight and pitch black all through the alley. At one of the alley doors a tom cat stood with one green eye and one oddly purple eye. With its abnormally long grey tail swaying back and forth, he meowed in hopes of a quick table scrap snack. A metal door swung open and banged against the brick wall, startling the cat off of the step he was once perched upon. The person that staggered out was a tall burly man with a long brown beard and shaggy brown hair that looked as if it hadn’t been washed in weeks. Attempting to walk through the alleyway, using the walls as support, he tripped over the meowing cat.

“Damn C-c-at! Get out-t-t a here!” He stammered.

He began to pick himself up and stumble himself unto the sidewalk. The lights were bright, the noises were loud, and the cars were fast. He felt the world spinning around him and then he collapsed. The noises continued through his head, never stopping, never slowing down. Was he awake? Was he dead? Was he conscious? He couldn’t open his eyes, yet for some reason he could still see the lights, he could still see the cars. Right as he thought he knew what was going on, it all stopped. It all went black.

The sun shone through his eyelids. He groaned and rolled over, slowly opening his eyes. He looked at the clock on the night stand, which said 3:00 P.M. suddenly he realized that he had no idea where he was. He jumped up in the bed desperately trying to remember how he got here. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a door gently close. He jumped out of bed and sprinted to the door but by the time he got outside the person had disappeared. All that was there was the tom cat with the one green and one purple eye staring at him. The cat gently lifted his head to the man and gave an ever so soft meow. Ignoring the cat, he rushed himself back inside of which appeared to be a hotel. The scruffy man decided to look for clues to how he got there or who the mysterious person was, but all he could find was a wallet on the night stand next to the bed. He did notice a short grey hair lying on top of the wallet but he brushed it off. He opened the wallet but there was no ID, no credit card, nothing but several 50 dollar bills folded up. He put the wallet in the pocket of the, what seemed to be brand new jeans and walked out to find the nearest bar.