Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand. Once I arrive, it takes 2.1 minutes to hear the lame story about what Ron, the guy two cubicles down, did last night and four minutes ’til I get to hear my boss complain that I never do anything right.

Spending 9.34 hours at my job, driving 26 minutes home (I hate traffic), taking two minutes to take Donald out and only getting 24.7 minutes to myself before lying down in my hard, cold bed and not falling asleep for another 12.5 minutes can really drive someone crazy. At least that is what my therapist tells me. But in fact it does not make you crazy; it makes everyone else crazy for not wanting to know how much time they actually have.

The thing that will make you crazy is if something goes wrong. Something that has been happening the same way for exactly 12.56 years. When that one thing goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. For instance, if you wake 45.8 minutes late because there is no damn dog barking for you to take him out. Which causes you to be late to work, because you have a 20-minute drive and only 2.4 minutes to get there. Then you ­decide in exactly 24 seconds that you have to call in to work saying you came down with something. But after the phone rings for eight seconds, the secretary tells you that something bad has happened and there will be no work today. You wonder for only one minute what could have happened, but then go and take a shower.

The shower is much longer than the normal six minutes. It takes two more minutes to wonder what is the red goop dripping from your body. Then it takes you two more minutes to realize that you probably just cut yourself shaving.

After 45.8 minutes of watching TV, you wonder where Donald is and what really happened today to call off work. You ponder this for 12 minutes, scratching your chin, noticing the red goop is also under your nails. You find that disgusting, so you walk steps, which takes you three seconds, to go wash your hands, for two minutes, in the bathroom that you never use. You look around for four minutes, noticing there is also red goop all over the walls. You quickly – so fast you can’t count the time – open the shower curtain.

In about seven minutes you realize you have to clean up. But suddenly there is a knock on the front door lasting for about four seconds. But you have to ignore it, you don’t have time, you have to clean up in six minutes. But wait, six minutes is too long. You need 4.5 minutes, but that’s too short. The knocking is getting louder and faster, every three seconds, it just won’t stop. You can’t stop either; you have to clean up, but the knocking ….

Ender2This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Poor Donald... Great writing, I loved it; very much like Edgar Allen Poe.

swcricket98 said...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 10:02 am:
This reminds me way to much of Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart.

Isaac99 replied...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm :
I agree but this is slightly more vague and that basically says what happens.

kristi421 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 3:35 am:
this is really good. kind of confusing at the end, but that's what makes it so good! keep up the good work!

annaaleahcim said...
I love this! This type of writing is just amazing to me. Good job:)

Nip Nip Man replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm :
Hehe i pooped

TherearemanyAnnasbutIamtheORIGINAL replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm :
............ok

WellImTheGuyWhoPooed replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm :
You no you like it

Naman said...
It took 2 minutes to read and 5 minutes to reread it!
Great Writing!

DarkMountain said...
Really made me think! Loved it!

JakeDamon said...
Good. Try to make the ending just a little less abrupt next time...

Lletya said...
I loved the story, but I don't really get the ending...

kairi.kaylynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 11:00 am:
This was really good! I thought it was interesting and then the end really caught my attention! Loved it!

Refugemywords said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:24 am:
Kept me on the edge of my seat though so short and snappy. Nice numbers...

Tatri J. said...
it was incredibly good but i am somewaht confused...where's his dog? did he kill it? did he kill someone at his job thus it being closed???? please explain! :(

Meeegan replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm :
He was bored with life so he killed his dog and the people at his work thus killing the routine.

manda315 replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 9:18 am :
omg killed the dog? wow all those numbers in it were like woahhhhhhh

ing.to said...
The numbers got me stressed out. :P but I really enjoyed reading this.. To be honest, without those numbers, the story would lose its flow entirely. So yay! Great job!

clumsyteardropper said...
*jaw drops and eyes widen for 3.5 minutes*... *then falls off chair becuz someone start knocking on MY door* :O AHH!!!!

teresa221 said...
Wow, this was really good! I was drawn in immediately and hooked until the end. I'd love to know what happens next, though, if you plan to continue this =)