Time MAG

By Katie S., Kewaskum, WI, Kewaskum, WI

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand. Once I arrive, it takes 2.1 minutes to hear the lame story about what Ron, the guy two cubicles down, did last night and four minutes ’til I get to hear my boss complain that I never do anything right.

Spending 9.34 hours at my job, driving 26 minutes home (I hate traffic), taking two minutes to take Donald out and only getting 24.7 minutes to myself before lying down in my hard, cold bed and not falling asleep for another 12.5 minutes can really drive someone crazy. At least that is what my therapist tells me. But in fact it does not make you crazy; it makes everyone else crazy for not wanting to know how much time they actually have.

The thing that will make you crazy is if something goes wrong. Something that has been happening the same way for exactly 12.56 years. When that one thing goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. For instance, if you wake 45.8 minutes late because there is no damn dog barking for you to take him out. Which causes you to be late to work, because you have a 20-minute drive and only 2.4 minutes to get there. Then you ­decide in exactly 24 seconds that you have to call in to work saying you came down with something. But after the phone rings for eight seconds, the secretary tells you that something bad has happened and there will be no work today. You wonder for only one minute what could have happened, but then go and take a shower.

The shower is much longer than the normal six minutes. It takes two more minutes to wonder what is the red goop dripping from your body. Then it takes you two more minutes to realize that you probably just cut yourself shaving.

After 45.8 minutes of watching TV, you wonder where Donald is and what really happened today to call off work. You ponder this for 12 minutes, scratching your chin, noticing the red goop is also under your nails. You find that disgusting, so you walk steps, which takes you three seconds, to go wash your hands, for two minutes, in the bathroom that you never use. You look around for four minutes, noticing there is also red goop all over the walls. You quickly – so fast you can’t count the time – open the shower curtain.

In about seven minutes you realize you have to clean up. But suddenly there is a knock on the front door lasting for about four seconds. But you have to ignore it, you don’t have time, you have to clean up in six minutes. But wait, six minutes is too long. You need 4.5 minutes, but that’s too short. The knocking is getting louder and faster, every three seconds, it just won’t stop. You can’t stop either; you have to clean up, but the knocking ….

on Feb. 17 2010 at 2:37 pm
TheSorcerersStone GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

--Sirius Black

Thank you very much.. That's helpful :]

twiwrite GOLD said...
on Feb. 16 2010 at 2:21 pm
twiwrite GOLD, Modesto, California

none :P

between a week and three months i think. its depends on what when and the subject of what you sent out.

twiwrite GOLD said...
on Feb. 16 2010 at 2:20 pm
twiwrite GOLD, Modesto, California

none :P

wow.... kinda demented at the end very cool.

on Feb. 16 2010 at 10:57 am
Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
I commend you, not only for your meticulous speculation of time, but for writing this engaging piece in general!

on Feb. 15 2010 at 4:39 pm

--Sirius Black

How long does it take to get something posted? I submitted something like a week ago and it hasnt been posted yet.

on Feb. 13 2010 at 7:19 pm
brainiac SILVER, Grove City, Ohio

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future.

Now that's suspenseful! Cliff-hangers are really cool. I wonder what happens. Keep up the good thrillers.

on Feb. 9 2010 at 3:28 pm

--Sirius Black

Wow. That's intense. Like really, really, really intense.

xx3rikkixx3 said...
on Feb. 8 2010 at 8:00 pm
xx3rikkixx3, Wayne, New Jersey
This was a great story! You should post a seque! I want to know what happened!

on Feb. 4 2010 at 2:05 pm
MissFaber SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey

Nothing Less.

Yes, it does share the narrtor's obsession with time in "The Tell Tale Heart", although he's even more obsessed with killing "the old man with the vulture eye". That's another thing these two pieces share.

great job :)

sports1234 said...
on Feb. 1 2010 at 12:05 pm
this was an ausome piece it was very interesting

on Jan. 31 2010 at 5:29 pm
horsesforever BRONZE, Port Coquitlam, Other

Don't cry because it's over. smile because it happened ~Dr. Suess

That was so amazing. I REALLY wanna read more! keep writing!

on Jan. 27 2010 at 4:43 pm
LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

This is fascinating and a really well-written piece.

on Jan. 25 2010 at 11:15 pm
weirdonpurpose SILVER, Georgetown, Texas

art is happening

woah talk about OCD!! awesome job!!!

on Jan. 25 2010 at 5:38 pm
Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida

If your always looking down, you'll never see the beauty of the stars.

this is really amazing!

mads942 SILVER said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 5:06 pm
mads942 SILVER, Houston, Texas
This is really interesting and kind of creepy! I can't figure out if he killed the dog or the boss, or both. I assume the "red goop" is blood.

on Jan. 25 2010 at 3:49 pm
LittleMissWhimsical SILVER, Saginaw, Michigan

"I wonder about all roads not taken and am moved to quote Frost...but won't. It is sad to be able only to mouth other poets. I want someone to mouth me." Miss Sylvia Plath

Wow, you write so well, very intriguing! I really wanna read the rest now! Love the dot dot dot effect though, keeps your readers inclined. Well, goodbye = ]

Annika GOLD said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 12:26 pm
Annika GOLD, SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota
What's the red goop??? What happens next??? PLEASE TELL ME!!!!

on Jan. 25 2010 at 9:08 am
lily1411 BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota

Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.

--Benjamin Franklin

I love how everything makes sense and is so well put together! especially since its all about time!:D i've found that is sometimes hard to keep track of

on Jan. 8 2010 at 3:09 pm
i_love_pancakes SILVER, Lutz, Florida
Well written!!! But what happens next?!!!?!?!?

You should make a sequel or a continued version!

on Jan. 8 2010 at 1:37 pm
yumichris BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else.
Will Rogers (1879 - 1935), Illiterate Digest (1924)

it was so good! but I'm so lost??? i want more! i read the last sentence and was hanging off my seat...

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!