Time | Teen Ink

Time MAG

November 7, 2007
By Anonymous

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand. Once I arrive, it takes 2.1 minutes to hear the lame story about what Ron, the guy two cubicles down, did last night and four minutes ’til I get to hear my boss complain that I never do anything right.

Spending 9.34 hours at my job, driving 26 minutes home (I hate traffic), taking two minutes to take Donald out and only getting 24.7 minutes to myself before lying down in my hard, cold bed and not falling asleep for another 12.5 minutes can really drive someone crazy. At least that is what my therapist tells me. But in fact it does not make you crazy; it makes everyone else crazy for not wanting to know how much time they actually have.

The thing that will make you crazy is if something goes wrong. Something that has been happening the same way for exactly 12.56 years. When that one thing goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. For instance, if you wake 45.8 minutes late because there is no damn dog barking for you to take him out. Which causes you to be late to work, because you have a 20-minute drive and only 2.4 minutes to get there. Then you ­decide in exactly 24 seconds that you have to call in to work saying you came down with something. But after the phone rings for eight seconds, the secretary tells you that something bad has happened and there will be no work today. You wonder for only one minute what could have happened, but then go and take a shower.

The shower is much longer than the normal six minutes. It takes two more minutes to wonder what is the red goop dripping from your body. Then it takes you two more minutes to realize that you probably just cut yourself shaving.

After 45.8 minutes of watching TV, you wonder where Donald is and what really happened today to call off work. You ponder this for 12 minutes, scratching your chin, noticing the red goop is also under your nails. You find that disgusting, so you walk steps, which takes you three seconds, to go wash your hands, for two minutes, in the bathroom that you never use. You look around for four minutes, noticing there is also red goop all over the walls. You quickly – so fast you can’t count the time – open the shower curtain.

In about seven minutes you realize you have to clean up. But suddenly there is a knock on the front door lasting for about four seconds. But you have to ignore it, you don’t have time, you have to clean up in six minutes. But wait, six minutes is too long. You need 4.5 minutes, but that’s too short. The knocking is getting louder and faster, every three seconds, it just won’t stop. You can’t stop either; you have to clean up, but the knocking ….



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 332 comments.


mads942 SILVER said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 5:06 pm
mads942 SILVER, Houston, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 24 comments
This is really interesting and kind of creepy! I can't figure out if he killed the dog or the boss, or both. I assume the "red goop" is blood.

on Jan. 25 2010 at 3:49 pm
LittleMissWhimsical SILVER, Saginaw, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I wonder about all roads not taken and am moved to quote Frost...but won't. It is sad to be able only to mouth other poets. I want someone to mouth me." Miss Sylvia Plath

Wow, you write so well, very intriguing! I really wanna read the rest now! Love the dot dot dot effect though, keeps your readers inclined. Well, goodbye = ]

Annika GOLD said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 12:26 pm
Annika GOLD, SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota
16 articles 0 photos 24 comments
What's the red goop??? What happens next??? PLEASE TELL ME!!!!

on Jan. 25 2010 at 9:08 am
lily1411 BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota
2 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.

--Benjamin Franklin

I love how everything makes sense and is so well put together! especially since its all about time!:D i've found that is sometimes hard to keep track of

on Jan. 8 2010 at 3:09 pm
i_love_pancakes SILVER, Lutz, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 32 comments
Well written!!! But what happens next?!!!?!?!?

You should make a sequel or a continued version!

on Jan. 8 2010 at 1:37 pm
yumichris BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else.
Will Rogers (1879 - 1935), Illiterate Digest (1924)

it was so good! but I'm so lost??? i want more! i read the last sentence and was hanging off my seat...

Tayyyyy SILVER said...
on Jan. 4 2010 at 4:50 pm
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You dont love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not"
— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

It does remind me of "The Tell-Tale heart" very dark and mysterious. It's very similar to Edgar Allen Poe's work. I have never really understood his work even though it keeps you thinking. Nice work thought.

K123 said...
on Jan. 4 2010 at 4:05 pm
Hey, I am the writer of this and I have never seen Stranger than Fiction and thanks for all the good ratings

on Jan. 3 2010 at 10:10 pm
Shambler92 PLATINUM, Buenos Aires, Other
37 articles 0 photos 65 comments
willing reader here too. I'm on the second draft of a novel myself and always wanted to read other people's stuff

peg8711 said...
on Jan. 3 2010 at 9:31 pm
Oh I get it, did he murder everyone from his job? Because he was going insane?

Lahari GOLD said...
on Jan. 3 2010 at 6:21 pm
Lahari GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
19 articles 0 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
\\\\\\\"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That\\\\\\\'s why its called the present.\\\\\\\"
— Eleanor Roosevelt

\\\\\\\"When life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then sit back and watch as the world wonders how you did it.\\\\\\\'

will u 2 stop fighting!! Matt-JT, thats exactly what I thought happened! Katie S., awesome story! What really DID happen?

on Jan. 3 2010 at 6:00 pm
LeslieAnn BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
1 article 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
\\\\\\\"Dream as if you\\\\\\\'ll live forever, Live as if you\\\\\\\'ll die today\\\\\\\" \\\\\\\"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain.\\\\\\\"

I'm a willing reader

k.z232423 said...
on Jan. 3 2010 at 2:42 pm
Clearly someone is a fan of Stranger than Fiction

on Jan. 3 2010 at 9:19 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other
6 articles 0 photos 210 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Homo homini lupus"

feels slow at the beginning and fast at the end, like it's accelerating- i find that really good... are you writing more on this?? i'm extremely curious about the red goop :P

seapenguin said...
on Jan. 3 2010 at 12:16 am
seapenguin, Healdsburg, California
0 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm a super hero, but with no powers or motivation.

Very good. :) I really liked this.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 3:18 pm
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me

My novel needs readers. Anybody interested? It's part drama, thriller, action, and social commentary on our corrupt teen world. It takes place in the near future.

on Dec. 12 2009 at 6:47 pm
Riotwriter SILVER, Greensboro, North Carolina
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't let love see you, see love as you.

for some reason I don't understand it.It's well written but the ending was weird because it didn't invovle "you" (the writer--I) it invovled us. If that makes sense.

on Dec. 12 2009 at 6:44 pm
Hisa-Ai PLATINUM, Rockford, Illinois
24 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Even the bravest of soldiers recognizes a battle he cannot win.

Very cool...

I love the way you wrote this.

Actually, it kinda reminds me of something Edgar Allen Poe wrote. "The Tell-Tale Heart" or something like that...

It's almost repetitive and the character seems obsessed with time and monotony. Again, I think it's very cool and very well written.

Keep writing!

maki:p GOLD said...
on Dec. 12 2009 at 1:32 pm
maki:p GOLD, Rocklin, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only journey is the one within" and "You can't help anyone who doesn't want to be helped."

I thought that it was a very interesting piece. I love stories that have an ending that is up to reader to decide what it measn to them. Nice job.

Andrnick said...
on Dec. 12 2009 at 1:10 pm
This writing overall is rated as a 1 star because there are some grammar mistakes and a bad plot because you just read on and on about someone's job.

This deserves to get a 1 star from me, personally.