Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand. Once I arrive, it takes 2.1 minutes to hear the lame story about what Ron, the guy two cubicles down, did last night and four minutes ’til I get to hear my boss complain that I never do anything right.

Spending 9.34 hours at my job, driving 26 minutes home (I hate traffic), taking two minutes to take Donald out and only getting 24.7 minutes to myself before lying down in my hard, cold bed and not falling asleep for another 12.5 minutes can really drive someone crazy. At least that is what my therapist tells me. But in fact it does not make you crazy; it makes everyone else crazy for not wanting to know how much time they actually have.

The thing that will make you crazy is if something goes wrong. Something that has been happening the same way for exactly 12.56 years. When that one thing goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. For instance, if you wake 45.8 minutes late because there is no damn dog barking for you to take him out. Which causes you to be late to work, because you have a 20-minute drive and only 2.4 minutes to get there. Then you ­decide in exactly 24 seconds that you have to call in to work saying you came down with something. But after the phone rings for eight seconds, the secretary tells you that something bad has happened and there will be no work today. You wonder for only one minute what could have happened, but then go and take a shower.

The shower is much longer than the normal six minutes. It takes two more minutes to wonder what is the red goop dripping from your body. Then it takes you two more minutes to realize that you probably just cut yourself shaving.

After 45.8 minutes of watching TV, you wonder where Donald is and what really happened today to call off work. You ponder this for 12 minutes, scratching your chin, noticing the red goop is also under your nails. You find that disgusting, so you walk steps, which takes you three seconds, to go wash your hands, for two minutes, in the bathroom that you never use. You look around for four minutes, noticing there is also red goop all over the walls. You quickly – so fast you can’t count the time – open the shower curtain.

In about seven minutes you realize you have to clean up. But suddenly there is a knock on the front door lasting for about four seconds. But you have to ignore it, you don’t have time, you have to clean up in six minutes. But wait, six minutes is too long. You need 4.5 minutes, but that’s too short. The knocking is getting louder and faster, every three seconds, it just won’t stop. You can’t stop either; you have to clean up, but the knocking ….

DreamWeaverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 2:21 am:
I really liked this piece. It was creative and thought provoking. If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate you reading and commenting on my latest submission. Thoughts and constructive criticism would be invaluable to me. Great work(:  TeenInk.com/fiction/all/article/644215/The-Word-Keeper/

HbkooyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 23 at 5:35 pm:
Wow, this story was so unique! I love how you made the main character so obsessive about time, and the end really makes you think! :)

ChrisK said...
Feb. 26 at 12:04 pm:
Great story. I love how you make it seem that when people have all the time in the world they actally have no time at all.  

Pseudonym329This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7 at 9:06 pm:
This is great. I would be honored if you read some of my work.

Amina157This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 11, 2013 at 4:59 am:
Hey great story, i'm not sure if i'm right but is the blood in the shower his dog, you should continue this with another story to elaborate on what happened because it's really good also please read and comment on my article thanks TeenInk.com/fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/578431/KOBi/

Budgee said...
Man i wish you kept it going becuase it was so intreging. It was very well written and i hope next thriller you make (dont really leave the ending like that) but very nice peace. 

Budgee replied...
Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm :
I would also like to know who was in the shower and what happned at work??? 

Madisonblake8 said...
Sept. 27, 2013 at 10:37 am:
Dying to read this!!

Bibliomaniac said...
Sept. 17, 2013 at 6:42 am:
Wow. You wrote so fluently I didn't even realized you switched from first person to second until reading it twice! Was that intentional? Awesome word weaving.

NILAKSHI008This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was perfectly written.... The story ended suddenly, but that makes it different.

peacock03 said...
Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:52 am:
I liked it. I just wish that a little more was added to the end because now I'm puzzled.

ViraDashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:29 am:
I like the way you used time to emphasize the character's role in his daily routine. (Hmm...sounds just like me...)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:56 pm:
Wow, this is really good! I love the build-up and how you used time to emphasize this person's problems. 5/5

GreekGoddessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm:
That was great, I love the amount of suspense building, and how it escalates at the end. This was wonderfuly written, how you say nothing for sure, but everyone still knows whats happening, and who this person is. The cliff hanger was done wonderfuly, you didn't lose their character at all.

EmClaireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:04 am:
The suspense was suble but incredible. The use of time (going into tenths of a second, hundredths of an hour, etc.) I though was a great way to understand the character. Without saying anything you realize that he is a control freak, and probably has mental issues. The ending was also great using a cliffhanger and not telling what happened. Overall, it's wonderfully written and thought through.  

zion campbell said...
May 15, 2013 at 9:55 am:
cool story bro tell it again

sunnyandsugarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:24 am:
That was soooo good! it was super suspensful and reminded me of the movie Psycho!

JoshuaChen said...
Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:27 pm:
Not bad. A few suggestions: 1) You might want to divide the first sentence of the third paragraph("Spending 9.34 hours working, driving...") into two sentences to make it more coherent. It's not too big a deal, as far as run-ons go, but it might help anyway. 2) I personally wouldn't describe the blood as "goop." Goop reminds of thick and bubbly. In my experience blood flows rather easily. Maybe "red ink?" All in all, it was an enjoyable piece. And I love reading about characters with OCD or sch... (more »)

JoshuaChen replied...
Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm :
Also, you might not want to be soooo precise with hour numbers. To count 9.34 minutes would literally force you to divide into milliseconds which is a tad (and some) unrealistic. Publishers in a more manstream magazine probably wouldn't like that.

KenKenForeverz replied...
Sept. 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm :
She said 9.34 hours. It makes sense just because all the minutes are down to the tenth but an hour being bigger needs to be a little bit more percise.