Time MAG

By Katie S., Kewaskum, WI, Kewaskum, WI

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand. Once I arrive, it takes 2.1 minutes to hear the lame story about what Ron, the guy two cubicles down, did last night and four minutes ’til I get to hear my boss complain that I never do anything right.

Spending 9.34 hours at my job, driving 26 minutes home (I hate traffic), taking two minutes to take Donald out and only getting 24.7 minutes to myself before lying down in my hard, cold bed and not falling asleep for another 12.5 minutes can really drive someone crazy. At least that is what my therapist tells me. But in fact it does not make you crazy; it makes everyone else crazy for not wanting to know how much time they actually have.

The thing that will make you crazy is if something goes wrong. Something that has been happening the same way for exactly 12.56 years. When that one thing goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. For instance, if you wake 45.8 minutes late because there is no damn dog barking for you to take him out. Which causes you to be late to work, because you have a 20-minute drive and only 2.4 minutes to get there. Then you ­decide in exactly 24 seconds that you have to call in to work saying you came down with something. But after the phone rings for eight seconds, the secretary tells you that something bad has happened and there will be no work today. You wonder for only one minute what could have happened, but then go and take a shower.

The shower is much longer than the normal six minutes. It takes two more minutes to wonder what is the red goop dripping from your body. Then it takes you two more minutes to realize that you probably just cut yourself shaving.

After 45.8 minutes of watching TV, you wonder where Donald is and what really happened today to call off work. You ponder this for 12 minutes, scratching your chin, noticing the red goop is also under your nails. You find that disgusting, so you walk steps, which takes you three seconds, to go wash your hands, for two minutes, in the bathroom that you never use. You look around for four minutes, noticing there is also red goop all over the walls. You quickly – so fast you can’t count the time – open the shower curtain.

In about seven minutes you realize you have to clean up. But suddenly there is a knock on the front door lasting for about four seconds. But you have to ignore it, you don’t have time, you have to clean up in six minutes. But wait, six minutes is too long. You need 4.5 minutes, but that’s too short. The knocking is getting louder and faster, every three seconds, it just won’t stop. You can’t stop either; you have to clean up, but the knocking ….

on May. 11 at 11:05 am
ToOlMaKeR2006 GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia

"I look out for me and mine; that doesn't include you 'less I conjure it does."

Good job! This is a really nice story, and you found a way to pack so much meaning into a short story....

elleo4 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 27 at 1:29 pm
elleo4 BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
VERY DESCRIPTIVE!!! LOVE ITTTTTTT!!!

on Apr. 27 at 11:51 am
Joey.DeYoung BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Unlike other writing that I have seen

on Apr. 27 at 11:50 am
nevinhooper BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
This was such an engrossing piece and throws you so incredibly into the world of the main character with a rather interesting way to explain the constant repetitiveness of the character. Fantastic piece.

BlomWillie said...
on Mar. 5 at 1:22 pm
BlomWillie,
This is absolutely clever and incredible! Great work!

This is great. Excellent. I love it.

This really could be the prologue to a novel... Great Job!!!

Lilly04 said...
on Oct. 31 2017 at 4:30 pm
Lilly04,
are you going to make another part?

AmaraDaoud said...
on Oct. 11 2017 at 12:41 pm
AmaraDaoud,
I love all the details you wrote in the story.

on Apr. 18 2017 at 9:35 am
xX-Nicotin-Rose-xX,
Can you do a follow up story to this piece i just need to know more

on Dec. 29 2016 at 10:34 am
Travelergirl DIAMOND, Central, Utah

"Do not judge my story by the chapter you walked in on"- Unknown

The story definitely pulls you in the moment you start reading it. The way you described the time was probably the best part of the whole story.

on Dec. 7 2016 at 12:49 pm
Dandelion14 SILVER, Houston, Texas

“People are screwed up in this world. I'd rather be with someone screwed up and open about it than somebody perfect and ready to explode.”
― Ned Vizzini, It's Kind of a Funny Story

The story has me hooked. It pulled me in and I love how descriptive it is.

on Oct. 24 2016 at 9:56 am
elifseda BRONZE, Beverly, New Jersey
I love the description and detail in this story, it really makes you want to continue reading. Great Job!

Backoff said...
on Sep. 25 2016 at 9:48 pm
Backoff, Beijing, New York
wow, the description of time was interesting. Nice story here

on Sep. 2 2016 at 3:54 pm
Screen_name: BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Nice story! You can definitely tell you spent good time on this.

on May. 23 2016 at 5:37 am
BackroadDiaries, Carter, Oklahoma

"Don't take life for granite, that's what tombstones are made of." -Hank the Cowdog

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Matthew 6:34

I can feel the panic in the narration, good job!

on May. 1 2016 at 10:57 pm
taymmarie BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida
This is absolutely incredible, and honestly, I'm kind of obsessed with it. I'll definitely be saving this one!

on Jan. 12 2016 at 7:17 pm
The_Edge SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey

"Wisest is he who knows he does not know."
-Socrates

Brilliant! One of the best works I've ever read on TeenInk!

on Sep. 7 2015 at 11:07 am
prettypuppy88 SILVER, Suffolk, Virginia
Oh. OH. Wow. Ok. That's awesome.

on Aug. 17 2015 at 12:15 am
AlexKShorts PLATINUM, Vienna, Virginia
I think this is a great piece, I'm still trying to figure out what the ending could mean/represent though!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!