When the Light Went Out

I looked around the room for something to grab on to. I couldn't see a thing, but I could makeout the image of a table. I walked over to it and held on tight.
I knew something horrible was about to happen, but I just wished my family was there. The electricity had gone out, but before it did, news said that a tornado was about to hit. I was terrified.
I clutched on tighter to the table and prayed that my family was okay. They had gone on a trip to Florida and I had to stay home due to homework issues.
"It'll be okay, Emma." My Mother had said before they left. "You're 14 and it's only a few nights. If anything happens, go to the neighbors' house."
Right, like she was going to leave the house in the middle of a storm when there was about to be a tornado.
All of a sudden, there was a big crach and the window broke into a million little pieces of glass. The win grew stronger and I held the tble tighter.
I tried to move to a different room, for I knew the tornado was happening right that moment, but the wind was too powerful. I f I let go, I would be swept away.
I squeezed my eyes shut and ducked down under the table. I hugged the bar that attached the table to the carpet. I had never been more scared in all my life.
I remembered my Mother's words. "You'll be fine." she had said. I hoped she waas right.
Suddenly, the wind calmed down a bit and the sun tried to peak through the dark clouds.
I let go of the table and looked out the broken window. The sight was almost more than I could stand. The town looked awful. Buildings were crashed down, glass and bits of concrete were everywhere, and I could hear people screaming.
I could think of lots of times when there was a tornado on the news, but everything always turned out to be okay.
We would fix the town. Build new buildings. Fix the houses.
Just then, my Mother burst through the door and hugged me. I smiled. I knew there was hope.