Kidnapped | Teen Ink

Kidnapped

December 30, 2010
By angelasunx3 GOLD, New York, New York
angelasunx3 GOLD, New York, New York
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

The sun shined through the tinted window shades, creating large shadows lurking about the room. I peered out the rectangular windows, creating a circular smudge with my nose. The wind blew around the already fallen snow, creating wisps of ivory-colored magic. The white blanket glittered under the warm arms of the sun and all was perfect except for the mere imprint of a car’s wheels along the middle of the road. I slid into my pink Hello Kitty robe, feeling at bliss. There was no school today, meaning I didn’t have to wake up at 6’o clock this morning. I rushed down the steps, expecting for the warm aroma of blueberry pancakes to pervade my nose and the sweet scent of freshly baked muffins to caress my nostrils like every Sunday morning. My eyes met the empty circular table. My heart raced as I dashed from room to room in search of my parents. How could this be? They were always up at the crack of dawn. They were the type of people who strongly believed in the saying, “The early bird gets the worm.”
Adrenaline rushed through my terror-stricken body as I ran up the steps, barging into my parent’s room. The pristine covers of the bed were still in place, as if they’d never been touched before. If someone had kidnapped my parents, they sure didn’t leave any traces of evidence.
Suddenly, I found a white note taped onto the surface of the mirror. Cautiously, I walked over, struggling to open the envelope as if I were afraid that if I ripped it, something might happen. I felt a searing pain through my finger as a trail of crimson-colored blood streamed down my hand. Cussing under my breath, I unfolded the paper. My chocolate brown pupils grew larger as I scanned through the bold red words. My heart pounded as hot, salty tears rushed down my cheeks. I held on to the frame of a chair, wobbling on the brink of insanity. It all made sense now, all those signs I’d been getting. I should have listened to my friends at school; they were the ones who told me that making that deal with the mafia would be the biggest mistake of my life. I didn’t listen of course, I was foolish then. Now, months later, they’ve found a way back into my life. Worst of all, they were after my parents and I had one week to carry out my side of the agreement.
I couldn’t do this, no way. Where was I going to get five grand? I heard the sirens of a police car. Although we lived in a rural area, there were plenty of robberies in my neighborhood. All of a sudden, it hit me. I had a plan.