I Feel a Zombie Apocalypse | Teen Ink

I Feel a Zombie Apocalypse

By Jayers BRONZE, Bloomington, Illinois
Jayers BRONZE, Bloomington, Illinois

J

Jeff and Sarah sprinted around the corner laughing, running away from Jim Friggins and Eric Barlow who were pretending to be zombies. Jeff and Sarah slowed up, letting their other two friends catch them.

“So are we going to go get ice cream or what? I’m starving. That was a long baseball game and I am ready to eat,” Sarah begged to Jeff as Jim and Eric caught back up.

“Sounds good to me, I’m starving. Haven’t eaten since breakfast,” Jim stated, his mouth already watering.

“BLEGHAGHHAHHGHGHGHKASHKAH!” Eric yelled out.

“Cut it out, Eric, the joke is over,” Jim laughed and playfully pushed Eric.
Eric looked crazed and reached over to Jim, grabbed his head and shoulder and took a deep bite into Jim’s neck. The group was shocked; the disgustingness of the scene was too much for Jim and Sarah, they sprinted to the abandoned house around the corner; hearing the stomping of Eric behind them.

“Awesome. We lost him. But now what?” Jeff questioned Sarah, his voice trembling.

“I don’t know, what’s going on? Is Eric trying to trick us? He can’t actually be a zombie, can he?” Sarah replied in a tense tone trying to hold back tears.

“He has to have something wrong with him doesn’t he? It looked like he literally killed Jim Friggins!” Jeff practically yelled back in a very confused tone.”

Sarah found a staircase and gestured to Jeff.

“Let’s go upstairs, we might be able to get a better view and see if anyone else has turned into a zombie,” Sarah said.

“Alright, I’ll be up there in a second, I’m going to go to the kitchen to see if there is any sort of weapon we can defend ourselves with.”

“Good idea! I could use a knife of some sort,” Sarah replied as she climbed the stairs.

Jeff wandered into the kitchen while Sarah went upstairs. The house was truly abandoned, he opened a drawer and there was nothing but a thick layer of dust in it.

“Nothing here! Not a single thing in these drawers. Looks like we’ve just got our hands to defend ourselves with,” Jeff said sadly.

Jeff heard no response. He headed upstairs, maybe Sarah had found an opening to the roof where they could survey how bad of a zombie infestation their small town had really encountered. Jeff reached the top of the stairs and saw a light under the door.

“Sarah, does that room have a good window?” Jeff asked.

No reply, Jeff was now worried. He inched over towards the door, and put his fingertips on the door and his eyeball into the crack. Jeff saw Sarah in a blank stare and there was blood dripping down her neck from what looked like another bite mark.

“NOOOO!” Jeff cried out to the world, but no one was listening. He knew that the friend that he had once had was going to turn into a zombie and there was nothing he could do about it. Two of his friends had turned into zombies in just one day, what were the chances that all his friends would turn into zombies in just one day?

Jeff had to get out of the house before Sarah turned into a zombie completely tried to kill him. He jumped down the stairs and ran out of the house as fast as he could in the direction of the town. Jeff’s senses were heightened; every noise he heard made him think a zombie was after him. The pattering of Jeff’s feet on the cement was very loud, but could zombies even hear things? Jeff didn’t know. He saw the local gun shop, what a great place to go to in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Jeff couldn’t help but think the situation was way too cliché for real life. Jeff put his hand on the door knob. Locked.

“Hey! Is anyone in there? Please let me in I don’t want to die,” pleaded Jeff.

Jeff heard the sound of a dangling key ring connect with the door. He couldn’t believe his luck. All the video game and movies were true; everyone did flock to the gun store in a time of emergency. The door opened and Jeff walked in.

Jeff walked straight into a terrible trap; the gun shop was infested with zombies! Jeff urgently stumbled back towards the door but it was too late. A zombie resembling his father was standing in the door way and bit Jeff’s neck. Jeff fell to the floor and the switch took place. Jeff felt his mind boiling over, his thoughts were racing. Then all of a sudden he had no thoughts, no thoughts except for that he was hungry. Hungry for blood and humans; he had turned into a zombie…