The Ghost | Teen Ink

The Ghost

October 18, 2010
By AngelS SILVER, Gresham, Oregon
AngelS SILVER, Gresham, Oregon
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You may kill me, but you may never insult me. Who am I?"... "Captain Jack Sparrow." - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End


A couple walked up to an old abandoned house on an October midnight. They ventured inside believe it was only a house. They walked into a large room with the haunted fell that sent shivers up your spine. The black-haired boy gave her his hoddie to warm the brown-haired girl up. The room had cob webs everywhere. There were two chandeliers one an each side of the room. The puzzling thing about the room was the twin tables; one on each side of the room. Seated on the each table was a large old style key. The boy held the flashlight to light the dark place. The girl unwisely ventured away from her boyfriend to pick up one of the keys. At that moment a wall came from the sides and close like a two doors, isolating the couple from each other with a huge clunk. On his side, the door had disappeared when the wall appeared. She screamed a high pitch deafening shout.

“Anna! Anna, are you there? Are you okay?” the boy's shout seemed to bounce off the walls.

“Luke? Yeah, I'm here. What happened?” She sound calm, but he knew her better than that. He knew she was absolutely terrified. It must be pitch black in there.

“I.. I don't know. The door is gone. It just disappeared when this wall came through.”

“How does a door just disappear?”

“How does a wall just appear?”

“These are the questions that will never be answered.” This was a new voice. It was a voice a child would hear under it's bed; teasing and laughing.

“Who is that?” Anna now sounded afraid.

“Anna, you may call me The Ghost.”

Luke's flashlight suddenly turned out and he gave out a shout. Then next second, both chandeliers lit up, but they looked different this time.

“Oh, that's so beautiful.” Anna's shivers slightly went away.

“Really Anna? Are they? Take a closer look.”

After staring at the light for a few moments, she noticed it was bigger; almost covering the whole ceiling now. Then she noticed the glass hanging from it was now sharpened. There were thousands of little glass knives on it now, pointing straight down. Anna gasped.

“Glass cuts far cleaner than metal.”

“What kind of sick game is this?” Luke threw his dead flashlight at the wall, and the crystals shook.

“What do you mean? The game has just begun.” A deep evil laugh erupted that echoed off the walls. “This is how the game works. You each have a key and there is a door in the wall between you two.” They both looked at the wall and there suddenly was a door with a simple keyhole. “If you use the key on the door, you'll find yourself outside, but there are always consequences for your actions. You see, if you use the key, you lover's chandelier will fall and that person will die. Only one of you can walk away from this. I'll give you ten minutes to think about it. Oh and if one of you doesn't use the key by then, then both chandeliers will fall and you both will die. Ten minutes.” An evil laugh that almost sounded like a hyena, roared from all around then faded away.

They each grabbed their key and leaded again their side of the door. Slowly they slid down the door to the floor. If there was no door there then they'd be leaning on each other. They were both holding their key. Anna snuggled Luke's jacket closer because the room seemed to be colder.

“Anna, don't worry about me, go live your life.”

“No, I'm not leaving you here!” There was a sob in her voice. She was starting to cry.

“Please Anna, I not using this,” he threw the key across the room. “You have to use your key or we will both die.”

“No,” she sniffs, “use your key, I can't live knowing I murdered you.”

“Listen, you wouldn't murder me; you got that. It's the Ghost, he's the murder; not you.”

“But... but I can't do it. I won't be able to live with myself.”

He slid his hand under the door and she grabbed it. She lower herself to the floor and put his hand on her cheek. He could feel the cold wetness of her tears on his hand.

“Then we die together.”

Anna sobbed and all Luke wanted to do was hold and comfort her, but he couldn't. He couldn't be there for her, even though he promised her mother. He felt his own tear fall down his face.

“Aw. You two are so cute, but I'm getting bored, so I'm going to switch up the rules a bit. This time however uses the key will make their own chandelier fall and open their lover's door. All you have to do is turn the key and chandelier will fall. You've got three minutes left, so you'd better act fast.”

Luke let her go with a squeeze and ran to retrieve the key. He stood in the middle of the room staring at it.

“Luke? Luke! No, Luke I won't let you do it.” She made her hands into fists and slammed them against the door. “Listen to me, you can't do this.”

“Anna, remember what I said to you when we met.”

Through her tears, Anna smiled, “Yeah.”

“I said, 'Are you an angel? Because your the most beautiful thing I've ever seen; flowers envy your beauty and sunsets adore it.'”

“'And I adore you.'” She said out of her tears as she recalled it from her memory.

“That's right and I meant it then and I still mean it.” Anna sobs grew and every word was as a bullet in her heart. “When I talked to your mom, she made me promise I'd take care of you, and I keep my promises.”

“Not when it means your death.”

“I would die a thousand times to save you. Even if it means I'll ever see you again. At least my last thoughts will be of you; safe.” He walked to the door and slid the key into the slot. He frozen; unable to turn it. His tear fell on his hand that was holding the key.

“No! Luke don't!” She kept yelling and pounding her fists against the door between her sobs.

“Anna, listen, you were my adventure. The only perfect thing in my life. I guess what I'm trying to say is, Anna Rose Jones, I love you.” At that moment, he turn the key.

The next force Anna put upon the door made it fly open, but on the others side was a vent. She fell through and slid down it even though she didn't want to, but she couldn't help it. As she slid down she heard glass shatter, but the noise was painful to not only her ears, but to her soul.

“No!” She screamed all the way down. When she reached the bottom, she crashed into a pile of leaves. Anna then looked back at where she had come from and it was a simple wood wall. She jumped up and pounded her fists on the wall. Slowly, she slid down the wall and leaned her back against the wall. She put her head on her arms and cried hard. Is he really gone? No, he's alive. He's has to be!

“LUKE!” Her cry echoed in the night sky.

Game Over


The author's comments:
Please comment. I really want to know what you think.