Gregory's Hotel: Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Gregory's Hotel: Chapter 1

By NoahB123 SILVER, New London, New Hampshire
NoahB123 SILVER, New London, New Hampshire

You will try, Pilgrim.

I found myself walking through a deep forest in a thick fog. How I got there, I might never know. Suddenly, I saw a bright light before me. It was a hotel. With my vision blurring, the building was impossible to make out. I opened the large, creaky, wooden doors. I walked into the lobby, and a candle was flickering on a table. “Do you need a room for the night?” asked a squeaky, old voice; the voice of Gregory.

Before I continue, this is the story of a hotel. A hotel owned by Gregory. And I was his prisoner. This is the story of my torment and the torment of others in the Gregory Hotel. The hotel from another dimension.

“My, you certainly look exhausted, don’t you?” Gregory continued. He was an old man, wearing a red and black striped shirt and a pink fleece. Then I noticed an eerie red tinge in his eyes. “Well then, I’ll get a room ready for you.”

He led me to a candle-lit hallway with squeaky wood floors and plain, dirty walls. The windows where covered with wood boards nailed on. Lightning struck outside and it started to rain. “Right this way if you don’t mind. I’ll be happy to lead you to your room.”

The hallway was lined with empty rooms. “I must say, we don’t often receive guests at this hour.” He guided me further down the hall. “Perhaps you’ve somehow managed to lose your way,” he told me. “Or…oh, maybe you’ve just lost your mind.” he said eerily. Lightning struck again. “That was a joke. Hmhmhmhmmm.” he laughed coldly.

“Here it is. Room 665.” Gregory unlocked the door. I went in and saw a surprisingly cozy room. There was a shelf with some books, a cabinet, a nice looking bed, and a bright candle gave it a warm feel. But like every other window, the one here was nailed shut. “Have a pleasant sleep, my friend. You’ll need it, believe me. Hmhmhmhmm.” Gregory shut the door behind me. I laid down on my bed, fell into a deep sleep, and began to dream…

“Come on now! Trow away all dem worries. Forget about em’!” I was dreaming that there was a man, no, a dead man talking to me straight on. He was wearing a black coat and, for some reason, a hat with the Swedish flag. He was also wielding a scythe. But the strangest thing was that he had no legs. He was just…floating.

“Huh? I can tell you ain’t from around these parts. Well whas the deal, bud? You lost or somethin’? Don’t be embarrassed, you can tell me!” I tried my best to talk but I couldn’t hear myself. Somehow, the man could. “What! You can’t get back?! Hmm…Ok, hows about I make you a little deal?”

Suddenly, little lights started to surround him. They seemed to be…moaning. “See, my job is removing lost souls from the living world. And that hotel is full of lost souls that need to be removed right away!” He suddenly struck one of the lights (which I assumed are souls) with his scythe. “Hoowah!” he screamed as he struck, and the soul disappeared.

“If you go in and find them, I’ll show you the way back. I’ve even gots a body you can use! It’s a little small, but hey! Whatchya gonna do, right?” I suddenly remembered not having any limbs before I went to sleep.

“When you find em’ all, come see me again in your dreams. You got that?” He started to disappear from my dream. “See you later then, pal.” and he disappeared. I awoke from my dream, and I saw myself as a small boy. It was the least he could do, I guess.

This is the first part of the first chapter of my first short story of my first submission to TeenInk.

jenny said...
on Jun. 13 2010 at 12:06 pm
Very imaginitive and I am anxious to read the next installment!

annadreamer said...
on Jun. 13 2010 at 8:51 am
your ideas are very imaginative and creative. Incredible writing from someone so young!

ebraun said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 5:56 pm
This is an awesome story, Noah!