The Ring

“I’ll never let you go, I just love you so!” I smiled, singing as I cooked dinner. Everything couldn’t be better. I’ve got a delicious turkey, mashed potatoes drowned in gravy, and bright purple cranberry sauce. Opening the refrigerator I peered inside.
“I’ll love you to the very end. You’ll be there, my forever friend!” I sang, loud and cheerfully. I twirled around and began to dance. Until I saw that James was there.
“Oh!” I cried out in surprise. James didn’t smile. Blushing, I closed the refrigerator door.
“What’s the matter, James?” I said as I kissed him on the cheek. James motioned for me to sit down. I could tell that this was serious and took a seat. Leaning forward I asked him,
“Come on, tell me the secret. We’ve known each other long enough, have we not?” James shook his head and looked down. Quizzically I looked into his eyes. His deep blue, luxurious eyes; eyes that I’ve wanted for so long. For too long.
“It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” James said, his voice shaking uncontrollably. It was the day after the proposal when Eliza had disappeared. She had gone on her usual night walk. Everything had gone so well. James and Eliza had gotten engaged! James had gotten her the most beautiful ring. A marvelous blue diamond, clear as the blue sky, had been placed on her finger. This was the happiest day of their lives! Then Eliza and the ring never came back. Ever since then, I’ve been spending more time with James, hoping…
We looked for her, for a week straight. We never found her. With James crying on my shoulder, he accepted that she was gone. Now, Thanksgiving, this had to happen. I was furious! Why did they have to find her? For god’s sake, it’s Thanksgiving! Quickly putting the anger away, I let the long awaited sadness wave through me. Taking James’s hand into mine, I whispered,
“I’m so sorry, James. I really, truly am.” I started to rub his hand, trying to be a good person. But really, what was I supposed to do in this kind of situation? I looked deep into his eyes and watched them widen.
“James, what’s wrong?” I asked. James just stared at my hand in horror. Quickly letting go of my hand, he stood up.
“You…you have the ring!” James cried in terror. I smiled.

KillerButterflyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 27, 2010 at 9:05 am
This is amazing. It kept me guessing!

LaChapIs said...
Well, at least I can Spell God right and that is much more important

LaChApIs said...
God is spelld with a capital G! have some respect please!  especially if you going to use his name in vane!

LaChApIs replied...
Good ending at the end that's not nice to kill someone!

Really? replied...
Before you correct someone about proper spelling, "vane" is spelled VAIN.

Basketball4everr said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 9:56 am
really good- i loved the suspence but i wish it was longer or more to it. over all good job

amaranth178 said...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 8:22 am
The pace used and the suspense created were great!

nordictrack11 said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

OMG!!!!! that was amazing great twist at the end!!!!

JacobC said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 6:31 am
Great story! The ending was the best!

full size said...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 9:31 am
keep up the great work.It was pretty scary but really good through.You caught my interest in a split second!

citylightsgirl93 said...
truly amazing... please write more! and check out some of my work as well

wasupdog said...
Review of The Ring
By: Madison Ferner
The short story The Ring, by Lia N. Lake Oswego, focuses on character and character development. At the beginning, the girl, the main character, is sweet and jolly for example, “Everything couldn’t be better.” She was cooking and very happy. She loves this guy named James and in the end she takes action for her desires. “Quickly letting of my hand he stood up. You have the ring.” She killed his true love, be... (more »)

MusicIsLife013 said...
wow this was so great!! I love the ending!

blacktwilightfairy13 said...
WHOA!!!!!! I loved the very end!!! It just made my heart do a little lurch!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write more!!!!!!!! You have us hooked-- we want more!!!

BleedingRose said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 11:10 am
OMG! This is so awesome! I love this, and the twist is great! Very awesome job, keep writing! :)

sparkilameter12456 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 11:50 am
stelar i fart but i love it poooooooop!

jennam8 said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 11:13 am
The ending was great! I gasped :P Great twist!!

SharpestSatire said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 11:05 am
eep! did she kill eliza?!?!?! write more!

<3::wish4wings::<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:30 am
lol shes crazy! hah i like this alot:)

lily1411 said...
i love stories like this where something bad happens and then in the end, you figure out that whomever is telling the story did it! or at least something you don't expect to happen.