Run Miguel

“Run Miguel, The Daddy’s onto you! Go, go, go!” My heart is racing. I gasp for air and a searing pain shoots through my lungs. I hear his thudding footsteps behind me. I am putting distance between us though. I think back to this afternoon and know I can never come back.
I make my way to the neighborhood hideout. Johnny is sitting outside the door of the old rundown shack on 27th street. He wants to know why I am running and I head inside to tell him. He hands me a bottle of water and I suck it down. “The Daddy knows he’s gonna get me man. He’s not gonna stop till I’m dead.”
“You still got the scars from the last time you ran away from a session?”
“Yeah, even though it was two months ago.” I said, showing him the raised white, snaking trails along my back, tracing them with my fingers.
“Dude, you should go to the school and talk to Mrs. Deans, or the police.”
“They aren’t going to listen to a little Hispanic kid Johnny. They’re white.”
“Yeah, they’d probably give you a session; then give you back to The Daddy for more.”
Just then, the door was kicked off its hinges. The Daddy stood in the middle of the room, like a bull, snorting and shaking the whole room with each breath. His red eyes were focused on me. Out of the corner of my eye, I sensed Johnny shrinking back against the wall. The Daddy didn’t even seem to notice Johnny; he was too busy trying to figure out how to corner me. He slowly was walking towards me, there was nowhere for me to go. Johnny now had a free path to the door. I could feel The Daddy’s breath against my face. Johnny looked worriedly into my eyes; then ran. The next thing I knew, a fist collided with my face, like a ton of bricks, the sickly sweet taste of blood flooded my mouth and I blacked out.

amaranth178 said...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 8:28 am
I did not think this story was confusing. The length of the piece also kept the story moving and interesting. I have to admit, though, I did not think the narrator was a girl...

volleygirl6 replied...
thank you for recognizing point of view, the narrator is a guy

amaranth178 replied...
Excuse me but could someone please tell me how long it takes a work to get approved through this site?

Natalie P. said...
Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:55 am
This is an amazing story, Holly. It's not confusing at all (to me).

Kota21 said...
Oct. 6, 2009 at 8:22 am
this was a very good story i really liked how u used very descritive words to describe the setting..one thing i didnt like is how it ended i was confused but very good story keep writing

volleygirl6 replied...
Could you elaborate as to how it was confusing please. That way I can make it better. Thanks for the help.

Koa21 replied...
well idk really i just get confused easily and i reread it and i sorta understand it..its about a gurl that get abused rite cuz thats wat im getting the vibe of

volleygirl6 replied...
In essence, yes.