Discoveries (an excerpt for "the eye")

“Hey girls!” my dad called, walking into the kitchen where my mom stood washing dishes. “Bailey, honey, how’s your day been?”
Mom glanced up then wiped her hands on a dish towel. Still holding the dish towel ,she turned and hugged him, pressing her hands into his toned chest. “Mmmm. It’s been wonderful!”
Dad grinned, and then looked around. Noticing my absence, he questioned mother. “Where’s Annie?” he asked.
Mom smiled. “Oh, she’s in the attic. You know, looking for pictures of Milly or something.” (Little did they know, I was watching their every move).
Dad didn’t return the smile. In fact, his jaw dropped in shock. “She’s doing what?” He asked, his face the picture of disbelief.
Mom stopped watching the dishes, and again turned to face him. “Is there a problem?”
With a tone of impatience dad lowered his voice to a practically inaudible whisper, although he and mom were the only ones in the room. “Listen Bailey, you know what we keep in that attic. If Annie found it… I don’t even want to think of what would happen!”
“She won’t find it” Mom sighed.
I shook where I stood. This was turning into quite the mystery!
“We can’t take our chances” my father said in an upset tone.
“Dave… don’t do this again.”
“Do what?”
“Freak out like this.”
Dad was unhappy. “ Oh I’m freaking out? Me? You’re the one who insisted we move to the middle of nowhere. All to keep Annie safe! Do you realize what danger you’re putting her life in?”
At this point I had had enough. I could have handled that entire conversation, but the fact that my way of life was just a web, built up around me to protect me from the truth? That’s too much for anyone to handle, much less a fifteen year old girl.
But of course I had to keep listening. It’s only natural to be curious, and despite all common sense, I kept watching.

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
O.M.G.!!!!! It was awesome!!!  You better be planning on putting more up - or you may have to deal with an exploded reader. O_o  JK, but I am dying to read more!  ~AsIAm

vampiresrock said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 9:13 am:
good....what happens?

Inkspired said...
This is pretty good, it has potential. The end was kind of confusing- she said she'd had enough, then she said she stayed? Otherwise, this looks like a good book!

LaylaViolet said...
Whoa. Totally amazazing! I really hope you get published. I so want to read The Eye. Good Luck fellow writer; check out my stuff so I can be like you! You're a really great writer. Keep up the good work! :D

Chelsea M. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I liked it! I want to hear more from The Eye so I know what they were hiding her from!!! Please, this is very interesting.

HB S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 22, 2009 at 4:41 pm :
Thank you very much, don't worry I will!