The Party | Teen Ink

The Party

“What’s going on?”

“Why are we here?”

“Wait what? He died!?”

“Who died”

“The novelist died.”

Looking around I just see panic and chaos as we are stuck in the lounge room. Apparently the novelist, whose name I already forgot, got murdered in the drawing room so we all got put in here so detectives can explore. I look around and find my friends so I scurry over to them.

“Who do you think did it?” Amanda says worriedly.

“I’m not sure, but this is exciting! It’s like one of those crime shows!” says Henry who is clearly not seeing the seriousness in this.

“That’s not the point, we have to find them before more people are hurt, or worse killed!” I mention to them in a quiet voice.

“Good point, well let's think about the events leading up to now and try to find anyone who is suspicious!” Henry looks at us with excitement and curiosity.

I start to think about the night and all the events so far. Around 6pm, Amanda, Henry, and I arrived at the party and walked in. The party was for a novelist’s book release and he wanted to celebrate by inviting a few of his fans. There was a woman in a red dress with a man and they were just talking by the couch. When we continued to walk, a dude with long black hair walked up to me and asked if I wanted a drink, I said yes and walked with him leaving my friends.

“So, what type of drink do you want, there is punch, water, soda, or if you're feeling fun there are some alcoholic beverages like martinis or a pina colada?” He looks at me and waits for my response.

“Um, I think I will just have some punch for now please.”

“Ok sounds good!” He pours me a cup and hands it to me.

“Thanks!” I walk over to find Henry and Amanda.

I walk to the main room and there are probably at least a hundred people here. Everyone was chattering about his new book with drinks and food in their hands, but no one looked worried or paranoid. I squeezed past everyone and went towards the back of the house where I finally found them.

“Hey! Come over here!” Amanda waves me on

“So where were you? One second we were all chattering and the next you were suddenly gone, so we just decided to go to the back where there aren’t as many people” says Henry.

“Sorry! A guy asked if I wanted a drink and I was thirsty so I got some punch!”

“Ohh ok, that makes sense, just tell us when you go somewhere, we were worried.” says Amanda who looks half relieved yet scared.

“Yep!”

The rest of the night was pretty chill, we just got some food and were hanging out when we got called into the lounge room. Panic arose as a crowd of people started to move across the house. Thinking about it, no one seemed worried or suspicious, so I don’t think it was someone in this mass of people that killed the author. 

After reflecting about the events of the night I am stumped, because no one was suspicious in any way. Amanda and Henry told their stories and I told mine and all of us agreed that no one seemed weird. As we were looking at each other confused we heard someone starting to talk.

“Ok everyone, settle down, we have looked at some evidence from the drawing room and found a DNA match on the walls and floor of someone in this room” says a police officer.

Everyone was looking around and starting to point fingers at each other, the room became a ball of panic.

“Woah! This is crazy.” Simons mentions excitedly.

“No! It's scary, the killer is in here, it’s not safe!” Amanda whispers.

The police officers start to move their way through the crowd when they walk up to me. My heart skips a beat when,

“Excuse me mam, can you please move out the way” 

“O-oh Yeah Of- of course” I shuffle to the side.

“Man that was scary,” says Simon, calming down.

“You think?!”

People are moving out the way as the police officers drag a lady out the door.

“Please! You have to believe me, I didn’t do it! Please!” Screams a woman in a royal blue dress, she has mascara running down her face and her dress is getting scuffed up, but I think that's the least of her concern.

People are starting to leave when I hear someone say they don’t think it was her, and if I’m being honest I don’t think so either, because I was the one who killed the author in his drawing room. 

I just had to do this for school.