The Dewy Flower | Teen Ink

The Dewy Flower

She hears the sound of water rushing out of a hose on a gorgeous Thursday morning. Gracefully rising from her slumber she takes a peek outside. No one. The water sound has hushed, the flowers are dewy with water. Thinking it must have been her imagination she stretches her arms high up to the universe and brings them back down with a huge sigh. As she turns to get ready for the day, she coughs. The dry flower goes unnoticed by the girl. When the door closes behind her, the drawer opens. 

She traversed to her bathroom with so much grace, people might have believed that she is of another species. Holding the toothbrush in her hand she brings it to her mouth making sure to polish every teeth clean. The towel falls from the rack. It goes unnoticed by the girl who only picks it up when she leaves. After the door closes, it opens again, and the toothbrush breaks. 

The delicate girl returns to her bedroom and sits on her bed with the white canopy encompassing her body. For a long period, she just sits there. Her legs pull close to her chest and arms wrap around them like a mom dearly hugging her daughter. Her head involuntarily fell into them. The lights turn on…a brush sitting in the middle of her desk falls…the chair moves away from the desk…the trash can falls down…the lights turn off and on again after a minute passes. The drapes close…the lights turn off…out of the open drawer a black t-shirt falls out…her journal sitting on her desk flies open to a new page…black pants fall out from the drawer. The girl’s body loosens and gently sinks into her bed. Her face shining like sunlight hitting the beach waves on a beautiful day. 

The police burst into the room finding the lifeless girl as breathtaking as the sunrise on New Years. They look around and notice a note on the table. The note reads, “She wanted this” with the head of a black skeleton on the bottom right of the note nicely printed. At first no one moves. The paramedics walk in and one of the policemen picks up the note. 

“She’s dead. I thought you said she fainted” one of the paramedics inquired.

“I got a phone call from someone, a man, saying that she fainted. They gave me this address” one of the policemen answered, his voice filled with horror. 

“Who did he say he was?” a different policeman asked. 

“Wouldn’t say. Gave me the initials ML” the first policeman responded not looking at him, eyes plastered with fear. 

Amid the silence of the room, overflowing with horror and confusion, a man dressed in a charcoal black suit stepped out from behind the door. Beside him, a girl. They both smile at the paramedics and policemen and leave, the door shutting behind them. All the heads whip around to look at the closed door. 

“What was that?...” 

The presence of the once dewy flower, has been absolved. 

I was looking through nature photos on the internet when I came across a photo of a really dewy flower. I thought, maybe I could write a short story based on the flower, and so I did.