Learning to Trust | Teen Ink

Learning to Trust

By stephanier BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
stephanier BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

My mother was standing there, in the empty classroom, shaking after she had unintentionally shot my teacher. Blood was gushing out of the gunshot wound on his chest the way offal slips out of a freshly butchered animal. His skin appeared to have been blown off but it could not look as bad as carrion. He was breathing heavily and didn't quite understand what was going on. The whole incident had occurred in the blink of an eye.  

Although it had been accidental, my mother did not regret shooting the teacher. Of course, her face appeared euphemistic but she did not feel ashamed. It had been wrong, perhaps too extreme. She wanted to get back at the teacher but could that have been too much? Perhaps a conversation would have been enough. Through her eyes, she had done what had to be done in order to protect me. No one from the school had believed me when I’d complain about that teacher. I trusted my mom and told her what had happened which is why she had done what she did. Only then did the school staff realize that the teacher was Janus-faced. They let his academic achievements make up for the accusations other girls and I had made against him. He was able to fool everyone in order to appear innocent but that was now over.

Other school staff ran into the room at the sound of the gunshot and seeing the teacher on the floor, in a puddle of blood, they quickly called the police. An ambulance arrived immediately and carried out my teacher. The police put my mother in handcuffs and I had to go with them to give my statement as a witness but also to testify against my teacher. Some of the other victims had to be contacted in order to testify against the teacher as well, and although there was hesitation at first, they knew it had to be done. The teacher had to pay for what he had done and now sadly, my mother would too.

Although my mother would face consequences, she felt Junoesque because she had done something that proved I had someone to stick up for me. She was not going to let me fight through the situation alone which demonstrated her love for me.

I could tell my mother wanted to repent but legally, that wouldn’t mean anything. Spiritually, it would help her look on the bright side and accept what she had done. The reason why she had done it seemed to be the most important. I thanked her for sticking up for me but I didn't know if there was anything I could do for her to pay her back especially in the situation she was in now. There was nothing left to do but wait, only time would determine what the verdict would be. The only thing that was left to live for was hope. The teacher survived the gunshot and he was now facing criminal charges for multiple offenses. I went to see my mom one last time, I wasn’t sure when I’d be able to see her again. We deserved a proper valediction, but it didn’t feel right. My mother would be in jail and I didn’t know when she’d be set free.

Greetings, the piece I wrote was inspired by a prompt we were given in my AP English literature and writing class. The short story emphasizes the consequences a mother faces after acting defensively towards her daughter. A teacher is accused of committing an offense towards the young girl that is not clearly stated which creates a mysterious tone. Although no one believes the girl, her mother sticks up for her and puts her future at risk in order to protect her daughter. This short story intends to highlight the trust a student should have when approaching someone after facing an issue. Lastly, I would like to thank the editor for taking the time to read my work.