The Lookout | Teen Ink

The Lookout

By 3083769 BRONZE, Shawnee Mission, Kansas
3083769 BRONZE, Shawnee Mission, Kansas

I was walking in the woods one afternoon to escape my horrific middle school life. I sauntered to my favorite spot, “The lookout” but instead of it being empty and lifeless, there was an orb of golden, shimmering, and alluring light. Most people would gaze in wonder at this gorgeous thing, but I stared in terror at this dangerous entity. I was constantly getting eerie and foreboding tones from the golden decoy surrounding the orb.

I held my breath and slowly raised my toes and then softly lowered them, gaining tiny amounts yardage as I went. CRACK! A small, but thundering twig breaks under my weight. The gold light silences its luminescent shine, and the frigid air howls my name.

“adriana...Adriana...ADRIANA!!”

Once its rough, silent whispered had echoed, the howling wind ceased and the gleam of the orb resumed. Something was different this time, the shine was not glittery like my mother’s jewelry. It had an dull, green essence drifting in and out of it.  The ball of gas rushed toward me, slowly killing everything in its path. The flowers, grass, and shrubs shriveled at its arrival. I turned and leapt from my stationary post, running as fast as my legs could take me. My arms were pumping, my legs turning, my mind racing, and my heart slowly losing its power. My pace slowed to a stop as I toppled to the ground in exhaustion.

My eyes became dry as my muscles tensed. I felt weak, hopeless. The green orb was advancing, it was almost upon me. I used my receding strength to grip the soft soil and claw my way farther from the ball’s reach. It was too late, I felt a sudden chill fill my body. I turned my waist, and saw the gasses fuming from the entity’s form. The feeling in my legs became numb, there was no movement left. The paralyzation crept up my legs, to my chest, and finally my head. My whole body was dead, except my eyes. I saw the green blob’s face transform into a beautiful woman’s head. She had sprouted arms made of the same matter, and the cold and unforgiving hands caressed my face. The corners of my eyes became dark. The black fog slowly crept to my pupils. As the last sliver of light left my eyes I heard her coo, “Oh, darling, how I’ve missed our time together.”

Everything became a dark, black abyss. I couldn’t move anything, but I could feel. I could feel her presence beside me, but I couldn’t scream, kick, or shake. I could only experience the show. Her warmth wrapped around my body, trapping me in a warm and loving prison. I could feel her breath against me, her hands slowly petting my limbs. Her touch was soft and delicate, I didn’t want to leave. I felt safe, like I was home. Her moist lips met my cheeks and forehead. I could hear her weep and whisper. Her voice was so faint that all her mumblings were inaudible. I could, however, hear one word over and over. It was love. I felt a wet droplet rest on my arm. The weeping stopped.

Suddenly, a cool, thin object dug into my throat. I heard a cackling laugh mixed with cries of sorrow. A lukewarm wetness dripped down my neck and into my hand. “I’m so sorry my child!” She howled. She gasped for air as she choked on her tears. I heard a grunt and the cackling resumed. The pain in my throat was agonizing. Like a thousand bees invading the privacy of my body. Slowly, my ability to feel melted away. I wanted to let hot, steamy streams of salt water run down my cheeks. I wanted to announce my pain to the world, to have a small portion of it be lifted from me. But I couldn’t. The pain was too unimaginable for my silenced figure.

“This is it,” I thought. “I gonna die.” And I did die a slow and painful death, but not before the lady hissed with her hot breath, “Goodnight sweet child.”

Hey there! I'm a student at Indian Woods and I'm new at Teen Ink. I hope you enjoy this!