Serenity's Camera | Teen Ink

Serenity's Camera

By MegWilliams BRONZE, Gardena, California
MegWilliams BRONZE, Gardena, California

There was a sixteen year old girl named Serenity who has been an orphan since the age of ten years old. Her parents died in a car accident with a drunk driver in 2000. She was placed in an orphanage named Safe Haven ever since. Safe Haven is located in California. Serenity is about 5’7-5’8, has medium length black hair, and brown eyes. She is a very sweet girl who smart yet curious. The owner of Safe Haven Orphanage is a lady named Ms.Johnson and she is the nicest woman you will ever meet.
At Safe Haven Orphanage
Serenity’s Point of View
Serenity:(beginning to wake up) Oh another day in the orphanage
Ms.Johnson: Good Morning Serenity, when you finish getting ready come downstairs and get some breakfast. I have a surprise for you.
Serenity: Good morning Ms.Johnson, I can not wait for the surprise
Ms.Johnson: I can not wait either, and do you mind waking up Winter?
Serenity: Yes I will wake her up.
Ms.Johnson: Thank you dear.
Ms.Johnson leaves to go get the other kids, while Serenity goes to wake up one of her best friends Winter.
Winter, where do I begin with her? She was the very first person that talked to me when I first got to Safe Haven. She is older than me by a year which makes her seventeen. She is loud, a daredevil, and very outgoing. Winter has glasses, light brunette hair, black eyes, and is 5’5.
Serenity: Winter wake up we have to go downstairs and eat breakfast
WInter:(rolls around her bed) Ahh, okay.
Both girls got ready and went downstairs to help Ms.Johnson with the little kids, when they ran into their third other best friend River
River: Hey Serenity, Hey Winter.
Serenity and Winter: Hello River.
Let’s talk about my last best friend, River. River has dark brown hair, green eyes, glasses, and is also very tall. He is shy when he is around new people.  He is also cautious which is what I love about him because he is the complete  opposite of Winter. Not to mention, he is the baby of the group only turned sixteen 2 months ago.

Serenity, Winter, and River get to the table where all the little kids that are apart of the orphanage are currently eating at. While the three teens are eating, Ms.Johnson enters the dining room holding the present she had told Serenity about.
Ms.Johnson: Happy Birthday Serenity, I know how much you like to do photography so Winter, River, and I came together and got you this camera.
Serenity was in shock. She could not believe she had forgotten her own birthday.
Serenity: (Hugs Winter and River) Thank you guys so much!
Winter and River: It’s no big deal, you deserve it.
Serenity: ( Runs to Ms.Johnson and hugs her also) Ms.Johnson you did not have to do this, you have already done a lot for me.
Ms.Johnson: Oh hush sweetheart, I wanted too.
Serenity: I have an idea, why not for the first picture take a family photo.
Serenity, Winter, River, and Ms.Johnson all got together while one of the helpers took the picture.
Serenity: This is perfect.
Later that Night
Serenity: Hey guy’s I was looking through the camera and I think it had an owner before me
Winter: What do you mean?
Serenity: I mean there are a lot of photos that look like they are from the 1960’s through the 1990’s.
River: Really?
Serenity: Yes look
Serenity began to show River and Winter the pictures and all three of them were amazed at what they saw.
Winter: (points) Wow, this is my favorite one.
It was a picture of a group of friends surrounding by a convertible that was sitting on the beach with their surfboards next to them.
River: This is a nice picture. This one is my favorite.
It was a picture of hollywood in the 90’s.
Serenity: They both are great pictures, but I think we should get some sleep because it is getting late.
Serenity, Winter, and River all go to sleep, but little do they know that they will wake up to a big surprise.
The Next Morning
Serenity’s Point of View
Serenity: (wakes up and starts to stretch) Ahhh
Serenity rubs her eyes and looks around . That is when she notices everything around her is completely different.
Serenity: GUYS WAKE UP!!!
Winter and River: What’s wrong?
Serenity: Where are we?
River: What do you mean?
Serenity: Look around.
Both Winter and River looks around the room and that is when they realize that this is not Serenity and Winter’s bedroom.
Winter: Woah, where are we?
Serenity: I do not know. Let’s go ask Ms.Johnson.
The three teens run out the room to try to find Ms.Johnson, but the noticed that she is missing.
River: This is bad.
Winter: It can’t be, maybe she just went to run errands. Let’s see if we can find her.
Serenity: Yeah, let’s do that.
River: Do not forget your camera.
After they finished getting ready they all raced outside and immediately noticed everything around them was different.  People were roller skating, riding bicycles, walking around in their swimsuits, driving in their convertibles with their surfboards.
Winter: It looks like we are in the 60’s.
River: It does, and it looks like we are close to beach. All these people are in their swimwear and carrying their surfboards.
Serenity, Winter, and River walked down to the beach and are shocked by how packed  it was.
Winter: I love the swimwear here.
Serenity: Me too!
While the three were walking on the beach, they saw the same picture that was on Serenity’s camera. The three did not realize how long they were staring until  4 people from the car got up and walked to them.
David: Hey, my name is David and these are my three friends Susan, Kimberly, and Mark.
Kimberly: We could not help, but notice the three of you guy’s staring at us.
River: We are so sorry, it is just that we have never seen this many people on the beach before
Mark: Oh, are you guys not from here?
Winter: (While looking at Serenity and River) You can say that *nervous laugh*
Susan: Oh, how rude of us, we did not get your names.
Serenity: No no, it’s okay. My name is Serenity, and these are my two best friends, Winter and River.
David: I like your guys name’s, well if you need anything you know where to find us
David, Susan, KImberly, and Mark walked back to their other friends who watched the whole thing go down.
Winter: I can not believe we just talked to people from the 60’s.
River: Me either.
Serenity: Look guy’s I know it is exciting but we need to find a way to get back to the orphanage and to Ms.Johnson.
River: Let’s retrace our steps.
Winter: Okay, first we all walked down the stairs and at breakfast. Then Ms.Johnson surprised Serenity with the camera for her birthday.
So the group went step by step to figure out how they ended up in this situation.
Serenity: Then I showed you guys the pictures in the camera. Winter said she like one of them. We went to sleep and woke in the past.
Winter: I have an idea!
River: What is it?
Winter: How about if we go threw the camera again and go to sleep we will go back to Safe Haven and Ms.Johnson
River: That’s a great idea
Serenity, Winter, and River went back to the hotel the woke up in and looked through the pictures. After looking through the pictures the all layed down and tried to get some sleep. The group eventually falls asleep and wakes a couple hours later.  The wake up thinking they are in Serenity and Winter’s room, but realize they are in the 90’s.
Winter: Did we do it?
Serenity: No, because it looks like we are in the 90’s
River: *Starts to freak out* Oh no, we will never get back to our time
Serenity: It’s okay River, do not freak out. I am sure we will fix this
River: We are we anyway?
The three teens look out the window and notice that they are staying by the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater.
Winter: Why don’t we go out and explore
Serenity: Okay
Serenity, Winter, and River went out to explore around Hollywood when they bumped into a group of people that looked to be in their early 20’s.
Winter: We are so sorry.
Stranger 1: It’s okay
The group of people introduced themselves to the three teens.
Stranger 1: My name is Christopher, this is Ashley, Daniel, and Megan
Ashley, Daniel, and Megan: Hello
Serenity: Hey, my name is Serenity and this is River and Winter
River and Winter: Hey
Ashley: You guys seem lost?
Winter: *Under her breath* You have no idea
Megan: What was that?
Winter: Nothing *nervous laugh*
Serenity: Anyway, we were just going to walk down the walk of fame for a little bit, but thanks for asking.
Daniel: No problem, but we have to be somewhere in a little bit so we have to leave.
River: Ok, Bye.
Daniel, Ashley, Christopher, and Megan all leave and the three teens explore hollywood blvd for the whole day and go back to their hotel later that night.
River: We will never get back.
WInter: I know
Serenity was looking at her camera of the picture of the three of them and Ms.Johnson with a tear rolling down her face.
Serenity: Let’s just accept our faith and get some sleep, okay.
River: She’s right.
The three teens went to sleep that night with a heavy heart. The next morning River wakes up and realize that they are not in their hotel room, but in Serenity and Winter’s room in Safe Haven.
River: GUYS WAKE UP, WE ARE BACK!!!
WInter: Are you yapping about?
River: We are back in Safe Haven!!!
Serenity and Winter look around and see that what River said was true.
Winter: We are back (starts yelling excitedly)
Ms.Johnson hears them screaming and rushes into the room to see what’s going on
Ms.Johnson: What is going on in here?
Serenity, Winter, and River: MS.JOHNSON!!!

All three teens run to hug her 
Ms.Johnson: What’s going on?
Serenity: We time traveled to the 60’s and the 90’s.
Winter: Yeah, we took a blast to the past.
Ms.Johnson: *laughs* I think you guy’s have been losing sleep.
The three teens just looked at each other and shrug. They then all go downstairs, but before Serenity does she puts the camera in her bottom drawer and hopes that she will not have to use it again.

I wrote this piece for my creative writing classes and I really like it.