The Heart of the Forest | Teen Ink

The Heart of the Forest

By Alexandra.Easton BRONZE, Jefferson, Oregon
Alexandra.Easton BRONZE, Jefferson, Oregon

"Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place." - Vincent Van Gogh

The soft morning sunlight sparkled on the icy pine needles that were scattered across the forest floor. The trees danced as they swayed in a gentle breeze in rhythm with the song of larks greeting their neighbors. The air was cold but the sun was warm. Like a hug. This is her home. Her forest.
She loves the fresh smell of pine and dirt. The wind strokes her face as it brushes her long red curls back to reveal her smooth fair skin, making her eyelashes flutter over her crystal blue eyes. And the music, oh the music. Only she can hear it. It's unlike anything you've ever heard. The birds, the wind in the trees, the soft crackle of pinecones opening as winter turns to spring. She can't help but join in. So she sings. She sings to the trees, to the animals, and to the small creak that runs along beside her as she makes her way deeper into the forest, her bare feet leaving their mark in the soft damp dirt that went uncovered by the duff. As she sang she began to dance. Jumping into the air and twirling as she did so. The wind grabbed her by the hand, lifted her over the tree tops and they danced together, her long white dress flowing in the air.
Below she could see everything. Her forest, the lakes and the mountains. The lakes glistened with diamonds that fell from the sun. The mountains shone as golden light touched its snowy peaks filling the sky with rays of sunlight so bright there was no room for darkness. They danced all day and when the sun set the wind gently returned her to the ground just outside the forest. They said their goodbyes and she walked by herself in the fields, the tall grass up to her knees. Night began to fall but she didn't mind. The frogs and crickets would sing now. She found a soft mossy patch and lay down to gaze up at the twinkling stars as the owls kept her company.
There was something cold and mysterious about the stars that gave them a unique sense of beauty. The stars danced in the sky to the sound of the crickets and frogs and the owls would sing along as well if they so pleased. This is her favorite thing about this place. The music. It never ends. It may change over time but it never ends. And it never will as long as The Oak Tree stays safe. As the music flowed through her ears her eyelids became heavy with sleep.
But just as she was about to fall asleep she heard a twig snap. Startled, she took her Guardian form. Her long pointed ears twitched as she listened for the slightest sound; her narrow snout in the air as she tried to locate the unfamiliar scent. She scanned the surrounding area until her eyes meet with another's. She froze.

''A wolf,'' she thought. But this was no ordinary wolf and she knew that. She could see it in its eyes. Its deep blue eyes with a ring of yellow that seemed to pull her in. It was a Guardian. As it stared into her eyes it took the form of a young man. He had dark brown hair, light skin and those eyes, so beautiful. He was wearing slightly baggy white pants that ended half way down his calf but his torso was left bare. He wasn't very muscular but he wasn't thin either.
Then he spoke, ''What is your name?'' he asked in a gentle voice. She went back to her human form and found the courage to speak. In a small hesitant voice she answered, ''S-Silva... my name is Silva; Guardian of the forest,'' she said a little more confidently.
''Hello Silva, I am Montem.''
''Montem,'' she said after him, ''The Wolf Guardian of the mountains.''
He smiled.
''And you are The Red Fox; Guardian of the forests."
''But the mountains are miles from here,'' she said, ''Why have you come?''
''I have created many mountains in the East, now I must find new territories. But I have been traveling day and night and I grow weary. I do not mean to intrude. I have come to ask you for shelter.''

Silva took pity on him and said, ''Come, rest beneath my trees. Regain your strength." She led him into the pine forest and made a soft bed of moss in a hollowed out tree. Satisfied with his arrangement he turned back into a wolf and slept the whole night through.

Silva slept in a large hole under The Oak Tree. The Oak Tree is the largest, most beautiful, and most powerful Tree in the entire valley located at the heart of the forest. The Oak Tree is so sacred that only Silva, the Guardian of the forest, can find it. It is protected by many layers of pine trees that no one could get past. Silva shares a heart with the Tree. They are connected. The pine trees will open for her only. The Tree is not only the life source for the entire forest but for Silva as well and it is her job to protect it. This is a lonely task but if she found someone she deemed worthy enough to share her heart with they could protect The Oak Tree together. Silva took the form of the Red Fox and curled up with her soft fluffy tail under her snout. The roots of The Tree glowed with a soft gold light that gave her warmth as she slept.
The morning sunlight shone through the trees and woke Montem. As he emerged from his sleeping place he took his human form and stretched out his arms welcoming the warmth of the sun. In the distance he could hear the soft echoes of the river that made him long for a drink. He headed in the direction the sounds were coming from and noticed there was something different about this forest. It wasn't dark or cold. There was not one dead tree or weathered branch. It was warm, bright and alive. When he reached the river he knelt down and cupped some water in his hands. After a few splashes on the face he took a drink and as he drank he felt the life and love of the forest enter into him. Just then he heard a voice behind him.
''Delicious isn't it?'' It was Silva. She was picking wildflowers and placing them in her hair. The sun sparkled in her golden red hair and her smile was soft and warm. As she turned to look toward Montem he became lost in her beauty and forgot to answer her. Confused by the silence she said, ''The water, it is good is it not?''
Realizing he had not responded he nodded and said, ''Yes. Very delicious."
She smiled. ''Good, did you sleep well?'' she asked.
Still admiring her beauty he replied, ''Very well, thank you.''
''You're welcome," she went back to picking her flowers as Montem walked over to her.
''Is this valley yours?'' he asked.
''Yes,'' she answered, ''the forest and the surrounding valley.''
''I am extremely grateful to you for sharing your home with me and giving me rest," he explained, ''I can see that this is a special place full of love and magic and man will surely want to destroy it. I wish to protect it. I will make a mountain range that no one would dare climb. I will protect the valley, the forest and you from harm. Let this be my gift of gratitude to you.''
Silva was delighted at this news and accepted the gift. Montem started in the East where he had previously placed mountains. He made them mightier and taller then any other mountains on earth. He brought them around the valley surrounding it completely. When he was finished he called upon Silva. He showed her the mountains with pride and she saw great beauty in them.
For many years he watched her from the mountains and protected her from danger. If anyone attempted to climb the mountains he would cause an avalanche or a snowstorm. He made sure no one would climb the mountains and live to tell the tale. Silva and Montem would visit often and soon became very fond of one another. She would sing for him and he would join her in her dances with the wind. The wind was glad to dance with them both and now as they would be lifted into the sky she could see the mountain range that protected her. It became harder and harder to say goodbye but Montem had to return to keep away those who wished to harm Silva.

On one of Montem's visits his heart became so full of love for Silva he couldn't wait any longer. ''Silva," he said nervously. "I have listened to you sing from the mountains for many years. I have kept you safe from all harm and I have seen that you are beautiful,'' he took her hands in his and looked into her eyes, ''I love you Silva. I wish to marry you. I promise to keep you safe until the end time. I promise to make you happy. I promise to give you joy when you can find none. I promise to love you with every song and every dance. But only if you love me, too.''
Silva was so overcome with joy tears began to fall from her eyes.
''Of course I love you, Montem,'' she cried! ''I have loved you since the day you first came here.''
Montem wiped the warm tears from her cheek and they shared their first kiss. A kiss so beautiful and so full of love the sun itself shone brighter. When they were married it was a magnificent event. The trees danced with joy and the animals cheered and shouted. Birds singing, squirrels chattering and the fireflies put on a show in the evening. They were happy. But they still had to say goodbye. He had to protect her. Before he left, Silva put a hand on her chest and a small ball of light appeared in her hand. She placed her hand on Montem's chest and the light became one with his heart. His chest glowed with a golden light that soon faded away.
''There,'' she said with a smile, ''I have shared my heart with you. Now you can find me at The Oak Tree. Your heart will guide the way and the trees will open for you.''
He thanked her, gave her a kiss and went on his way. He protected her and the valley for many centuries. The humans kept getting smarter and came close to entering the valley many times. But one day when he was with her, he stayed longer then he should have, and someone made it over.

A large man with a beard, and who was covered in animal skins crept into the forest and saw Montem leaving the pine trees. He saw how they opened before him and closed behind him. He had heard stories of The Oak Tree as a boy and that is exactly what he had come for. He watched Montem turn into a wolf and run off. He waited until Montem was out of sight to make his way to the trees but they would not open for him. He tried chopping them down but his axe splintered as soon as it touched the bark. He then realized that the only way he could get in was with the wolf. The man knelt down and studied Montem's paw prints in the dirt. He could go after him, but he was bound to come back. He decided to set a trap and wait. He fastened a net in a tree above the entrance to The Oak Tree and hid in some bushes. When he spotted the wolf he would pull a rope and the net would fall. Then all he had to do was get the wolf to let him in.
So, he waited and waited. Two days passed and not even a squirrel ran by. Then finally he saw the wolf.
Montem approached the trees and to his horror a giant heavy net fell on top of him. His knees buckled and as he struggled to get free; his snout and hind legs became tangled in this nightmare. He took human form and it became easier to untangle himself. Just as he was free from the net the man took up a rock and struck him in the head, knocking him out. The man was breathing heavily as he tied Montem to a tree and put a piece of cloth in his mouth. Then he sat nearby and waited for him to wake.
As Montem regained consciousness he saw the ropes holding him to the tree and started to struggle. He choked on the gag and heard a deep harsh voice say,  ''Don't bother. No one has ever escaped my knots,''
Montem looked up and saw the dirtiest, hairiest man he had ever seen.
''The only one getting you out of that is me.'' The man continued. He then leaned forward and reached for Montem's face. Montem flinched and yelled with fear.
"Shut up and I'll take that thing out of your mouth!'' he shouted. Montem took a deep breath and let him remove the gag.
''Let me GO!'' Montem shouted so loud it hurt the man's ears.
''Not until you let me through those trees!'' the man shouted back but not nearly as loud as Montem. Montem wasn't surprised. He shook his head and said, ''I can't let you in.You have to be able to enter on your own.''
''And how do I do that?''
''You can't,'' Montem answered. The man grew more impatient with every second. Full of rage the man clutched Montem's throat and squeezed tightly demanding he tell him why he was not able to enter. As Montem gasped for air his eyes began to water and his lungs burned as if someone had started a fire in them. Desperate for air he was able to grunt out one word, ''Heart.''
The man let go of his throat and Montem violently coughed and wheezed putting out the fire in his chest. ''What was that?'' the man asked, ''What did you say? Tell me!''
Montem slowly looked up and into the man's eyes. ''The only ones who can enter those trees are those who share a heart with The Oak Tree, and you do not. You can't go in,'' The man moved away from Montem and lowered his head in defeat.
Montem let out a sigh of relief and looked up at the sky. He felt ashamed. Ashamed that someone had ever made it over his mountains. He thought about Silva and how much he loved her, hoping he would find a way out of this soon and destroy this monster before he got anywhere near her.
Montem was lost in his thoughts when suddenly; he felt the cold, sharp blade of a dagger enter his chest. Shocked, Montem looked into the man's eyes and in them he saw nothing. No life, no soul. Not even evil or madness. Just pure emptiness. Then the man spoke, ''I don't share a heart with The Oak Tree, but you do." And with one swift movement and a final scream, Montem was gone.

Silva's eyes shot open. ''Montem!'' she shouted. She wasn't sure what had happened but she knew he was hurt. She felt it. She climbed out from under The Oak Tree and ran towards the entrance when she stopped suddenly. Silva's heart sank as she realized what had happened. Someone had made it over the mountains. She could smell them. But they were getting closer.
''How?'' she thought. As the pine trees started to open she ran to the side and hid in the trees. Out of the pine came a large dark figure covered in dirt and moss and...blood.
''No," she thought. But then she saw it. In his hand was the heart of her beloved Montem. It was still glowing with the magic gold light that once linked them with The Oak Tree and each other. Her eyes became cloudy with tears and her throat burned as she tried not to cry out. She didn't dare make a sound or come into sight of the man. If Montem was overcome by him she knew she would have no chance against him. She had to watch as he tossed aside the now dark, lifeless heart of her protector and started chopping into the only thing keeping her and this valley alive. Once he reached the center of The Tree he pried out a large roundish stone with a blinding gold light and shoved it into his duffel bag. As soon as he did, so The Tree became sad. Its branches creaked and moaned as life drained from them. This was The Tree's heart. The heart of the forest. And it was gone. She waited for him to leave then she ran to Montem's heart, ripped a piece of her dress off and wrapped it in the silk fabric.
''Montem!'' she shouted as she began to run faster than ever before.
''Montem, I'm coming!'' She exited the now dying pine trees and caught a glimpse of something red to her right. She stopped in her tracks. Then slowly, she walked toward Montem's mangled body. In this moment she felt everything at once : fear, anger, loss, sadness, love, and hatred. With tears in her eyes she picked up the bloody dagger off the ground, cut him free from the tree and held him. She cradled him in her arms and wept. She held him so tightly that her once snow white dress was now drenched in her husbands blood. She rested her forehead on his and her tears washed away the blood from his face. She cried until she had no more tears to give.
As the tears faded away all was silent. The music had stopped. But she didn't want it to end. Not yet. So she sang. She sang to him the song he loved so much while running her fingers through his dark hair. She loved him. She knew that he was gone but he needed his heart. He needed the thing that was taken from him so brutally. She reached for the ball of dirty cloth and unwrapped his heart. With a deep breath and trembling hands she placed his heart back in his chest. ''There,'' she whispered. ''Now you're perfect.''
It was at this time Silva started to feel weak. She pulled Montem closer, linked her hand in his and rested her head on his shoulder. Then with the last remaining strength she had, she gave him a kiss and said, ''I'm here my love. We're here together.''

The valley suffered a great loss that day. Not just the heart of the forest but Silva and Montem. Although they never knew it, the stone did little to sustain the valley. In the end it was the love the two Guardians shared that brought this place to life. No one knows what the man did with the stone or if he even made it over the mountains a second time. But what we do know is that he was too blinded by greed to see what the most valuable treasure really was. And that of course, was love.