The Color | Teen Ink

The Color

By Kamikami BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
Kamikami BRONZE, Erie, Colorado

The day started out like any other, but it didn’t end that way. I woke up at seven thirty, brushed my teeth, combed my hair,  put on some clean clothes, and went downstairs for breakfast. “Good morning Owen!” my mother called to me from the kitchen. “Morning mum.” I mumbled. I sat down at the table and looked blankly outside. The weather was dreary, but not in the way that makes you want to have a warm and cozy inside rainy day. It was the kind of dreary that makes your insides feel cold. My thoughts were shortly interrupted by my Mum. “Owen, you can make yourself cereal or something for breakfast right? I have to leave early for work today.” “Yeah sure” I replied. “Alright don’t be late for school dear.” “I won’t”
I didn’t bother making myself breakfast, I’m never hungry in the morning anyway. Especially with weather like this. I grabbed my coat and book bag, and left the house promptly at eight o clock. I Should have taken an umbrella with me, because halfway through my walk to school, it started to pour. But the funny thing is, I never really made it to school. This was when my day started to get not so ordinary.  I noticed color coming from the storm drain. I don’t even mean light, I mean color, pure color. Just seeping out of the storm drain. It can’t even say what colors they were, they were colors I had never seen before, but it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I didn’t even know  that I was moving towards it until I was completely engulfed in it. Somehow my insides started to feel warm. I couldn’t see the street anymore, and I felt like I  should be worried, and I tried to be worried, but the color wouldn’t let me
I looked over my shoulder and saw what looked like a mermaid. I rubbed my eyes and looked again, but she was still there, and she came towards me. But she wasn't swimming through water, she was  swimming through the color. It was then that I realized that I was floating too. She didn’t say a word to me and I never said a word to her. She took me by the hand and lead me deeper and deeper into the color. Somehow the color got even richer, and even more beautiful than it had been when I first saw it. The funny thing Is, I never even tried to think about what was actually happening when I was In the color, I just went  into it.
I don’t know how long I swam with the mermaid, but eventually the color cleared a bit, and I could see trees, but they were massive, as big as a skyscraper. Every leaf was probably the size of a small car, and they were glowing. The trees were everywhere, and everything was covered in something that almost looked like the color, but more pale and pinkish.
There were people there, If you can call them that. There were mermaids and fairies, and elves, and all sorts of other fairytale beings of that sort. I turned to the mermaid to ask her where we were, but she wasn’t there anymore. A fairy came up to me and asked me my name and told me to follow him. So we floated Into a tree.
We went into a room with other people like me all sitting in chairs around the room. Some were crying, some were sleeping and some were just staring blankly. The fairy told me to sit down in one of the chairs, and then he left. I tried to turn to the person next to me to ask what was happening, but I couldn’t talk.
So I just sat there and I realised that I was in pain. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from, but it was painful, and it started to get worse. I felt the warmth that the color had given me start to leave my body, and the color started coming out of my mouth and floating away, I don’t really know why but I felt like if all the color left me something very bad would happen. So I started franticly trying to catch it and hold on to it, but the more I tried to catch it, the more escaped me. And the pain was growing and the warmth was shrinking and the color was leaving. There was more and more pain. I felt like I was trapped in a bubble of pain. Everything hurt. And the it hurt more, and even more. I had never felt this much pain in my life. I was so cold that it was piercing, and I knew that all the color had all left me. I gasped for breath and then everything was real.
I was in a hospital. I was laying on a bed and I was hooked up to an IV. My mom was there and a nurse and everything was real. There was no color, everything was sharp and clean and real. My mother was crying, and I realised that I was still in pain, but I knew it was my hip and my head. And then I spoke. I said “Mum it’s okay you don’t heed to cry.” She gasped, and looked at me and said “Oh Owen, oh Owen, thank God, do you know what’s happened?” “No,” I replied “but Why does my hip hurt?” She got very quiet and leaned in towards me and said, “Owen, you were hit by a truck.” Of course this came as a surprise to me, but I didn’t have time to think about It , because the nurse started asking me questions, and the doctor came in. I don’t really remember much after that. I Think they must have put me on some very strong pain medications, but I always wonder where I went and what actually happened, and if I’ll ever see the color again.