Illusions of Existence | Teen Ink

Illusions of Existence

November 2, 2016
By mv489595 BRONZE, Louisville , Colorado
mv489595 BRONZE, Louisville , Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I see smoke in the distance and begin to drive faster. As I get closer the orange and red become more predominant and the smoke covers the blue sky. I jump out of my pickup and run to the hose struggling to stay calm move the hose side to side, up and down until it’s completely out. I run into my house and look around frantically. I burst open the door in hope that I’m not too late. She is sitting on the bed in complete shock. I rush over and hug her, so tight nothing could break us apart. I put her head on my chest. I run my fingers through her long hair trying to calm her. She sits up and takes a deep breath. I look into her eyes and smile. She smiles back and then I hug her again. I stand up, grab her hand, and take her down stairs. I sit her down and put some water on the stove to boil. I run warm water through a cloth, wring it out and put it on her forehead. I walk over to her and put it on her forehead. I make her some tea and then walk outside thinking to myself about how crazy it is that this happened. There was seemingly no cause to the star of the fire. I began to pick up burnt wood and put it in a pile. I grab a shovel and begin to turn over the dirt. I stop for a second and look around trying to understand what happened but nothing came to mind.


I walk back inside and grab my car keys, I kiss her on her head and then I leave. “I’ll be back in a little bit.” I walk outside and look up at the sky. The weather changed from sunny and hot to cloudy and windy. I sit there wondering how the weather changed so drastically. I get in my car and begin to drive down a dirt road. I roll down the windows and I put my arm out to feel the wind. As I drive I feel a drop of water fall on my arm. It started to rain, and then poor. I pulled over, rolled up my windows and waited. I couldn’t see anything the rain was coming down so hard. I sat there and thought about earlier today. I closed my eyes and listened to the rain. I fell asleep in my car, at least I thought I did.


I woke up breathing super heavy. I see Lizzy sleeping next to me and I look at her for a while. She wakes up and looks at me in confusion. I couldn’t wrap my head around what just happened. I get up and walk down stairs. Lizzy follows, I sit at the table while she puts water on the stove to boil. She sits next to me, “hey Leo what’s going on?” I sit there and I look at her. “I...I don’t know..” She puts her hand on my arm and tries to calm me down. I get up, grab my keys and head outside. “I’ll be back soon Liz.” She hands me a cup of tea and smiles.


I walk outside look into the sky and gaze at the stars. I don’t understand, I just can’t figure out what’s happening. I get into my car and put my keys in the ignition. I put both of my heads on the wheel and lay my head on the wheel. I lay there for a second to recover.I turn my key and begin to drive down the dirt road. I continue to drive and I get to a field. I pull over and look up at the sky. I stand here for a little bit and think. I see dark clouds in the distance, tornado clouds. I get into my car and turn on the radio trying to figure out what is going on. I see a tornado begin to form, I put my car in drive and I begin to head home. I drive up the dirt road back to my house. I see the tornado get closer and closer. I get to my house and I run inside, I yell Lizzy many times. I run upstairs to my bedroom and I see her. I lift her up and I run down stairs to my truck. I put her down and we run to the car. We get inside and I turn on the truck, but it won’t start. I see the tornado coming closer. I can’t get the car to start, I keep trying and trying. I get out of the car but it was too late. Things went black all of a sudden…... I thought that I died or that I was in the tornado.


I wake up breathing heavy, which wakes Lizzy up as well. She looks at me and puts out her hand to hold. “Liz…..i don’t know what’s happening.” I get up and look out the window for a second then I head downstairs, grab my keys and  a cup of tea and leave my house. I hop into my car and begin to drive to my lab. While driving down this dirt road I began to think. No one has ever dealt with or see something like this. I run inside my lab to try to figure things out. Somehow in some way certain things are happening for certain reasons but I don’t know why. While typing I think of something. I believe that what is affecting everything around me is--


“WHY?!” I figured it out but I keep starting this day over and over again. And I don’t even know why this is happening to me in the first place. While standing up I grab my jacket and run outside. I look up to the sky, I see bright lights come toward me, suddenly everything was black.