old mans creeks | Teen Ink

old mans creeks

Old Johns Creek

It all started on a windy fall day in a small town named ‘Owl Creek’. The school children had just gotten out of school. Joe a middle schooler was walking down street with his backpack overtaken with clutter and school papers. Joe is not a social being, he liked to be alone, playing games by himself every day after his homework, was what he liked. One day while he was at school, he encountered a boy named Christian.
“Hey Joe! Have you seen the new game for ps4?” Christian asked him.
“No, I haven’t seen it; but can you tell me what it’s called so I can see how it is?”
“Do you ever play online with anyone?”
“I don’t have that many people to play with, and since you got the same console as I do, we can definitely play together!”
“Sure, we could play together. What’s your PSN name?”
“Here it is” Christian said as he handed joe a slip of paper.
“what time are you getting on?”
“I’ll get on at like 5:00 PM.”
From this point on Christian and joe became good friends. As Halloween was arriving, Christian and joe started to talk about what they should do. They both met up at joe’s house and started to plan.
“Hey Christian, where do you think we should go on Halloween night.”
“We should go to the old man’s house and try to get him to come outside.” Christian suggested.
Oh, yeah! That’s a great idea. So we’re going to go out trick-or-treating, and then go to the man’s house?”
“Exactly! We should get some face masks too, just to freak him out.”
Halloween comes by and both Christian and joe are getting their costumes ready. Christian wants to be Jason and joe wants to be scream. On the night of Halloween, the streets are filled with trick-or-treater’s bags filled to the peak with all sorts of candy.
“Are you ready, Christian?
“Hell yeah I am.”
Both Christian and joe score big: their bags are overflowing by the end of the night.
“Okay, so we are going to walk up to the old man’s house and just try to spook him out?” Joe asked to confirm.
“Yeah, but we got to be really sneaky because people say he can feel your footsteps.” Christian cautioned.
They start walking toward the spooky looking house. As they get there they see moss covered all over the concrete sidewalk, vines going up the sides of the house, and there even seems to be a broken window.
“That house must be so old” I mean look at the vines and grass growing around it. Are you sure he even lives he anymore?” Questioned Joe.
“Yeah for sure. He’s in there somewhere. There was this one time, these three high school kids, they wanted to do the same thing we’re going to do and he came out. One of the guys said he had a long beard and when he saw them, the guy said the grass stared to hold on to their feet and they couldn’t move. So they took off their shoes and ran.” Christian looked into joe’s eyes. Joe don’t be so scared. That was from a long time ago and the story is probably fake; so don’t get so scared.”
Joe loosens up and, the two boys start to walk through the thick grass towards the front of the house. They look for things to throw but only see small pebbles. Christian remembers that he had a slingshot in his pocket, so he gets it out and starts to sling some pebbles towards the windows to see if they would break. The old man comes out, pissed but they haven’t noticed because of the tall grass. Christian find a big rock dug from underneath the mud , and loads the slingshot into position. The rock is then shot into the window which then shatters into hundreds of pieces. They, both just sand there in the thick grassy lawn, the crickets chirping, an they remain silent. Suddenly there is a loud thump, Boom! Christian looks at Joe. 
“Did you feel that”
“Feel what?”
Suddenly the long strands of grass grabbed of their legs and they both screamed as hard as they can. In the distance, they can hear the door opening with a creek and the sound of footsteps start to grow near the two boys. Joe and Christian try desperately to relieve themselves from the strong, long strands of grass, buy they are just too tough to get out of. All of a sudden, there is a tall man standing over the two boys and they cry out.
“Please don’t kill us.”
The man doesn’t respond. He just stares at them. The old man then mumbles.
“Why did you come here”
Joe responds “It was all Christian’s idea! I didn’t want to come.”
Then Christian says. ‘Hey don’t be blaming this on me; we both agreed to come here so don’t be such a jerk.”
The old man shouts. “I don’t care who’s fault it is! You shouldn’t have come here now you’re going to suffer the consequences.”
“What consequences?” Joe askes.
Christian follows his head and pleads out: “Hey mister, we just came here to see if anyone was home.”
The old man shouts. “Why did you break my windows?”
“Those windows were old anyways, mean this house does need a makeover. Look at how tall the grass is, it looks like a forest down here.”
The old man says. “Enough”
Then drags the boys inside. They scream and shout for help but it’s too late, the door has closed and Halloween fun has ended. The two boys pass out from the shock. Minutes later they wake again. As scared as elephants in front of a mouse, they look around and find that the house is empty. They instantly see holes in the wall and dust pilling up like the snow on winter’ peak. It’s it silent, no sign of the old man anywhere.
“What are we going to do? Joe asks silently. Look for a door or window. If we ran as fast as we can, we could escape without the grass trying to hold us back.”
“But what if the old creepy guy tries to catch us again? He might do something really bad to us.”
The old man then walks into the room and tells them.
“You don’t know what I’ve been through. Ever since that night when I was the same age as you, things haven’t been the same. I was going to have a great Halloween, but then when the night was over, these three kids said to give them my candy. I didn’t give it to them, so they punched me and kicked me until I couldn’t move. Then they took my candy and ran.”
Christian tries to reason with him.
“Wow that must have been the worst thing”
“But there’s more. After that happened, I read books about dark witchery and found a woman who told me and showed me how to make the potions to control things with my mind. After I had acquired the potion, on that next Halloween night, I saw the three same guys who had cuased me such pain and buried them alive. No one ever saw them again.”
“Hey mister we’re really sorry for what we did. Can we help you with something? I swear I will never come back here right, Christian?
“Right’
The old man thinks it over and says. If you come back here again I will do to you what I did to those kids and I will make sure you die, slowly.”
Christian agrees.
“Alright, Alright, we won’t come back here or even look at the house!”
“Leave now before I change my mind.”
He then yanks the door open and makes a path to which the two boys can run through. The two boys then get to a safe distance and joe says.
“let’s never do anything like that again.”
The boys both agree and go home to where their mothers are waiting impatiently.