Beasts | Teen Ink

Beasts

October 23, 2016
By RoseBlack BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
RoseBlack BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If I'm smaller, don't be an idiot."
"I'll die if I want to, punk."
"Yell for the driver to hit you in reverse."


“Do it.” She clawed feebly at his hand, her voice thin and strained. His grip tightened around her neck as she struggled. “We both know you want to.” Eyes narrowing, he lifted her up a low growl rising from the back of his throat. “Do not presume to know my desires.” Her hands tightened around his arm and she began thrashing as if she meant to kick him. He slammed her against the brick in front of him. He hoped it would break her back or at least, tear her skin, but as usual, it simply knocked the wind out of her. He hated that she had tough skin. He drew her towards him and rammed her into the wall again. She gasped, her already meager supply of air being immediately depleted. Her vision blurred in and out and black spots began dancing in front of her eyes as he squeezed her neck mercilessly. Her eyes turned glassy as she choked out, “Hurry up.”

He blinked and suddenly, the sky turned dark blue and fluffy clouds floated lazily past the sun as it set. He lifted an arm to shield his eyes from the light, grumbling and hissing in annoyance. “Accursed sunlight.” Yes, it was fading, but he still didn’t like it. He was a creature of the night who was meant to be feared, not some bird that sung its life away in the sun. Shadows curled away from him as the light continued to vanish. The sound of twigs snapping caught his attention and he turned to the bushes, immediately tensing. A familiar scent drifted to his nose and he shook his head, chuckling softly. She just wouldn’t quit, would she?

He moved toward the foliage, his eyes darted between the trees as he tried to spot his opponent before she could attack. More twigs snapped, this time closer and accompanied by the rustling of leaves and barely controlled breathing. Suddenly, an arrow flew at him and his eyes widened. He dodged, glaring at the bushes over his shoulder. “You have become quite the coward, have you not? You never would have used a weapon before.”

“We have both changed Tyler. Have you considered that perhaps I prefer to use this weapon over the others?” She stood, her eyes burning as they stared each other down. He smirked. She’d always been too prideful, no matter how much she tried to deny it. It had always been too easy to taunt her. They lunged at the same time, his nails growing into claws. Leaves cracked underfoot as she took a step back to avoid his attack. She slid a dagger from her belt and slashed at his neck. Tyler jerked back, but the tip managed to catch his skin and his hand flew to the cut. She was backing away from him, obviously trying to get out of range of an attack. Growling, he lunged forward, slashed his claws across her throat and watched as she stumbled, leaning heavily against a tree. He hissed in annoyance when he saw that once again, the inhuman strength of her skin had rendered his usually most fatal assault into a mere inconvenience. Still, she was bleeding and for now, that was enough. He turned and loped away, his hand still pressed against his own neck. It’d heal soon.

A purple hue was slowly appearing on her face, her eyes were becoming unfocused. She gagged and kicked towards Tyler again. This time, her foot caught his knee and his leg buckled. He went down, dragging his struggling captive along with him. His grip loosened, allowing a small amount of air in her lungs. She gasped and grit her teeth, digging her nails into his arm. She sighed, briefly going limp as she tried to regain her energy. Struggling and squirming wasn’t getting her anywhere. He’d knocked her crossbow out of her hands, she could see it laying on the other side of the alley in pieces. She still had her dagger, maybe she could get it and stab him. The more she thought about it, however, the more flaws she found in that plan. He had her pinned to a wall and was staring right at her. He’d notice her going for the knife before she’d get anywhere near it. She swallowed, her throat burning. A sudden irrational hope that he hadn’t noticed her necklace sparked and she tried not to laugh.

Tyler could hear her heartbeat getting faster. He watched her, wishing not for the first time that he could read another’s thoughts like others of his kind. He knew they got different abilities, but he desperately yearned to have telepathy. With most people, the lack of said ability didn’t affect him or bother him, but it had always bothered him with her. He could never be sure what the girl in front of him was thinking. His eyes were drawn to the scar above her eye and he grinned wolfishly. He remembered giving that to her. Her hand curled into a fist, she pushed herself away from the wall slightly and punched him. His head snapped to the side and his free hand went to the side of his face. His eyes were wide with shock and he simply stood there, attempting to process what had just happened. He began laughing softly and tightened his hold on her neck again as another memory floated to the surface of his mind.

“Morgan, would you please just listen to me?” Tyler followed at the heels of the dark haired girl storming away from him. She was so stubborn! He hated that about her. “You cannot become a huntress!”

“Why not?” she snapped, suddenly turning to him and locking him in place with a bright orange glare. “Why can I not be a huntress, Tyler? Is it because you do not want me to? You do not control me!”

He grit his teeth, before taking a step forward. “You will die. They always do.”

“You do not know that.” she crossed her arms and began walking away from him again. “You have always underestimated me. Despite what you seem to think, I can take care of myself.”

“I am worried about you. You have changed since you joined them.”

“I have not changed! You simply do not care for the fact that I no longer need you to protect me.”

“That is pathetic. That is not the problem.”

“Then what is the problem?” she shrieked, turning on him and slapping him. “What is wrong with being a huntress? Do you honestly think your objections will deter me? Do you think I will change my mind for you?”

He took a step away from her, the shock evident on his face. She’d hit him. He blinked and turned away from her. “No, I did not think I could change your mind. I had hope that I would able to though.”

Morgan thrashed desperately, a tiny voice in her head screaming at her to fight back as her windpipe was continued to be crushed by the vice-like grip. Pain throbbed through her neck and head like tidal wave and she gasped frantically, trying and failing to gain even the smallest bit of air. I’m going to die. She thought wildly, her peripheral vision fading away. With a sudden, violent twist of her head, she managed to sink her teeth into Tyler’s hand. Hissing in annoyance, he let go and backed away. She collapsed, bringing her hands up to shield her throat and hacking so hard she was convinced she’d cough up her lungs along with her pounding heart. “Next time we meet, I will not be so kind.” She glared at the back of his head, watching him stalk away, his shoulders tense and his jaw locked. “That was you being kind?” she rasped, blotchy purple bruises forming on her neck. He stopped and sighed. “I do not think you are in a position to be rebellious.”

She drew in another ragged breath, her arms trembling as she fought to hold herself up. Her vision slowly came back into focus and she sagged against the wall, her heart still pounding. Tyler turned back to her and moved toward her. She tensed and her hand went to her belt and dagger. He stopped in front of her and held out a hand. She leaned away from him, eyes flicking between his face and outstretched hand warily. “Just take it.” he growled, his eyes darkening with irritation. Tentatively, she took his hand and stood slowly, before tugging her hand out of his. He allowed his dagger to slide partially out of his sleeve, turning his arm so she couldn’t see. He hand shot forward, grabbed her wrist and jerked her toward him. He raised his other arm and pushed the dagger forward. Blue eyes met orange ones as it pierced her skin and he watched the light fade from hers. She smirked at him as blood bubbled up in her mouth and ran down her chin, “See you, bloodsucker.”

“Tyler! Tyler.”

The black haired boy ignored the sound of his name being called and continued reading his book. Morgan, however, was not in the mood to be ignored. “Tye! Bloodsucker!”

He rolled his eyes, letting the old insult go and once again wondering how he’d managed to become friends with this... creature. She seemed have an undying wish to make him laugh, which often led to him being dragged in outrageous schemes and more often, to him taking the blame when they failed. Add in her burning curiosity and their days were never boring. Unfortunately for Tyler, most “adventures” ended with him helping Morgan out of wherever she’d managed to get herself stuck. The secret passage in the kitchen seemed to be her favorite place to get pinned.

“Hey!” she hit him on top of his head and sat in front of him. His eyes drifted up to her and he tried not to sigh. “What?”

She was holding something behind her back. “I have something for you.”

He groaned and closed his book with a snap, knowing he wasn’t going to be left alone until she’d bestowed her gift on him. “What is it?”

“I am not going to tell you.” she practically sing-songed at him. “You have to close your eyes.” He begrudgingly complied and could hear her moving. Something stuff and delicate feeling was placed on his head. He reached u to feel it and she slapped his hand. “No touching! I have to fix it.” He sighed and waited rather impatiently for her to finish. “You can look now!”

He opened his eyes and reached up to get the thing she’d placed on his head. He grabbed it and pulled it off so he could inspect it. She frowned at him, “Aw, you took it off.” He stared at the flower crown, wondering why she’d thought a circle of flowers and leaves was a proper gift for him. He sighed and put it back on. It’d die in a few days and he’d be able to get rid of it. He could hold out until then.

“I have something for you too.” he reached into his pocket and pulled out a sapphire necklace. “Here.” he dropped it into her palm and watched as she turned it over and inspected it. “It’s pretty.” He nodded nonchalantly in agreement and went back to his book. However, a few minutes later, he looked up and saw that she’d put the necklace on. He smiled slightly and decided that it didn’t matter how they’d become friends. As long as she didn’t do anything stupid, he could handle it.