(Metamorphosis) Short Story Writing | Teen Ink

(Metamorphosis) Short Story Writing

By i.luv.u.forever101 BRONZE, Costa Mesa, California
i.luv.u.forever101 BRONZE, Costa Mesa, California

This short story describes how the majority of my day would be like if I were to wake up non-human. It explains the many difficulties and advantages that I would have in my new body and how I feel about it at the end of the day.

Chapter 1: The Change

As the sun is lively shining into my small bedroom, I awaken at my usual Monday morning alarm clock and try to swipe my iPhone screen in order to turn it off and I find myself using hands that are not mine! In fact, they are not even hands! They are paws. I hear a loud scratch as I try to swipe the screen a second time. I hear a loud scratch as I try to swipe the screen a second time. “Oh great! That’s going to cost me.” Once my eyes start seeing clearly, there are claws. I immediately get up and out of my bed but fall off. “Has everything gotten taller?” I think to myself, “Have I shrunk?” I try to run as fast as I can to the mirrored closet in the center of my hallway. Yet, the usual couple steps that it takes for me to get out of my room and in front of that mirror has turned into what seems to be a race between my now short, stubby legs and the unbalanced weight of my upper body on top of them. “This cannot be possible,” I say aloud, “This cannot be happening.” I get up from the solid tile floor that my body has seemed to have collapsed onto and take a long, thorough look at my self in the tall mirror in front of me. Once I have looked at the new creature that is staring back at me in the mirror, I see a koala. I see a short, chubby, grey-haired, large ear, small nose, koala! “Okay, okay, its fine, its alright,” I say to myself, “This is just your imagination. No! In fact, you aren’t even imagining this, you are dreaming! Lucy, you keep going along with your normal morning and the next time that you look at yourself in this mirror, you will wake up from this dream and see and normal, 15-year old girl, staring back at you through this mirror. You will see the same person that you see in this mirror every single day, you!” After giving myself a not so empowering pep talk, I simply go to the bathroom, still seeing everything larger than me, climb the toilet, jump onto the sink, and start brushing my teeth. Once I have finished brushing my teeth, I go to the kitchen and pick a bowl of my usual breakfast, fruit. “Okay, this isn’t as difficult as brushing my teeth.” I finish eating and climb the counter to drop my bowl in the sink. On my way to my bedroom, I pass by the closet mirror and by habit, I look at the mirror as I run through the hallway and see the same koala that I had seen earlier in the morning. In shock, I continue to my room, and pry open the heavy door of what used to be my small closet and with even more struggle, I push the hanging clothes away from each other in order to see what descent outfit I can put together for the day, and I suddenly realize, that I could not possibly go to school as a koala! So I jump back into my bed and lay my furry body under the sheets and onto my pillow, and cry myself back to sleep, still hoping that I would eventually awaken from a horrid nightmare caused from deep sleep.