In the Legends | Teen Ink

In the Legends

By cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The child ventured deeper into the forest along a dirt path illuminated with hundreds of cyan crystals. The shimmering blue glow cast a chilling atmosphere in the night.  Rustles magnified hundreds of times in the dead silence. She didn't know if her eyes were tricking her, but out of the corner of her eyes, there were pale figures flickering among the darkness. A cold chill filled her. No, I have to keep going, she thought. She had to find the elves to help. They were the only ones that could save her. It was said that their magic could do anything. As perfect beings, bordering gods, they wielded life-giving magic with golden voices that drew you in. She looked for the shining moonlight hair and gracefully pointed ears amidst the dark, tangled trees.
    But enough hopeful wishing, she had to keep looking for them along the glowing blue crystal path. The path was rumored to only appear when the elves wanted to see you. She looked behind her shoulder to see how far she came, but all the crystals behind her were gone. Oh no, no, no, no. Suddenly, she saw lumbering, twisted bodies with ragged slobbering mouths coming towards her. As they approached, she noticed the pale, straggling, greasy strands of hair and uneven pointed ears twitching in anticipation illuminated by the full moon. The horrors screeched “Come closer!” while ravenously licking the cracked flesh around their mouths. Her stomach felt like it dropped to her feet like a heavy weight, chaining her down to the spot she was in. Her eyes roved around as if her eyes moving in panic would break her from being paralyzed with fear. The last things she saw before blacking out were faint silhouettes with pale hair and pointed ears. Maybe the elves had finally come to save her.