Nature | Teen Ink

Nature

January 22, 2016
By Namedkate SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
Namedkate SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
8 articles 12 photos 0 comments

She was something like a wolf. Deadly and gorgeous all in the same instant. Never had anyone been around such a creature as she was. For when she moved, the earth shivered under her feet. And when she breathed the wind roared to life. Her eyes were the yellow, of a pond at sunset, with the last rays of light flickering across its surface. Within them stirred life that none could fully grasp. To be immersed fully in them would be a glory few could behold, and fewer would escape unscathed. She held life and power and soul like no woman before her. Take her eyes, set lightly upon her face, with her brows and their sharp arch. The emotion they could show was stunning. With one look she could melt your heart or send you off in fear of her rage. She was the storm, and she should not be played with.
With her mouth, perfectly proportioned and pink as a rose bud in the summer, she could speak. Oh, what words she would say. She knew exactly how to manipulate those surrounding her. She could say one word and the trees would bend and the mountains scurry from her path. And with one single word she could bring forth life. A full grown tree or a small child to a family in need. Never did she speak without purpose.
But her beauty was matched equally with danger. The power she possessed was far beyond any mortal. Some called her a god. The way she stood in the valley and it moved only for her. She held no weapons but she could win any war she chose. She was the earth we walk upon, and the air we breathe. She is everything and anything that humanity needs. But only if she wants to be. So we can cry and beg and throw ourselves to her feet, but she can chose to walk away. Normally she wont. She will take years of abuse and still nurture the land she bore. Never failing to protect her one love.
Such beauty. Such power. And such sadness. She lived for everyone but herself. Her very existence was made to support the lives of every other creature. Her tears were the oceans. They rise and fall everyday. Sucked in and thrown back again with her grief. She walked alone. Satin skin on the earth that was soft only for her. Her dress with a trail of leafy branches and her hair pulled up with vines. Such sadness for one with such power. She could turn in an instant. From dark to light. Her emotions were never kept in secret. They were shown clearly for everyone to see. No matter where you are, you can always feel as she weeps and rages.
No one can escape her, she is everywhere. But no one can find her. She remains connected with everything and feels what it feels. As you cut timber, hear her distant screams of agony as the blade parts her own skin. She bears so many scars. So many wounds of war and torture. But yet she lives. She has only one body, and she keeps healing and moving on. But we are getting closer. The hounds have gone ahead to search for the deadly and lonely maiden. She was a threat. Crashing the factories to the ground and drowning foul ships. It wasn't right. We knew we couldn’t tame her, so that only left the option to kill. I had pleaded with the captain. Asked him to forgo this horrid mission. He asked me in a quiet voice if I had gone soft. Even softer I had replied I hadn’t. He said good, and boomed for me to leave his office at once. I had lain that night in my bunk, thinking of this wild creature we were to chase. I had met her once when I was very small.
I had been playing in the tall oak tree in the back of my yard. Pretending I was a leafy warrior. I would slash and stab with my twig sword. Fending off the moldy creatures that had come to eat my tree. My tree, my home. I had grown up under its shade and it had helped me as I had for it. I ducked from branch to branch. All the other warriors had died or left in fear, even a few became traitors. But I stayed and fought for my tree. My foot caught on the branch and I fell. I thought it would hurt. I thought I would hit the ground and break into a million pieces. But I landed on something soft. I opened my eyes slightly to see green-yellow orbs staring down at me. She looked to be a woman of nearly twenty or so but her mind seemed ancient. Her face was calm, but her eyes showed love and caring. Her arms were soft, like the feeling of freshly turned dirt under your feet. Her hair pulled back with vines and pretty rocks draped in strings all about. Gently she placed me back to the earth. I caught sight of all the vicious wounds on her arms.
“Miss, What’s happened to your arms?” I asked in the voice of a small child. She looked at me. Memories of sadness and pain playing across her face.
“My prince,” She replied kneeling before me, “there are many things in this world. And they are all afraid of me. They wish to hurt me. But you my dear, you protect me. Keep me safe, and never stop fighting, and I shall do the same for you.” I leaned into the warmth of her hand as she had pressed it against my cheek.
“I’m not scared of you. And nothing is going to get you when I’m around,” I held up my sword in salute. She laughed and every bird nearby sighed in jealousy. They could never compare to the songs she created. She waved at me and turned about. Then she was gone.
Years later and I could still feel the glow of pride she had given me. Never had I thought the day would come where I had to go back on my vow to her. The morning came too quickly and we set out to track down the dogs. They were impatient and on edge. Leading us quickly through the woods. The air was tense. She was scared. The roots of the trees trembled below us and I knew she would not go quietly.
“Watch out!” Someone yelled. The ground beneath broke and our group was tossed about. Some held by angry roots, other simply tossed away, like an annoying fly being swatted at. I opened my eyes. Breathe, I was still standing. I looked up to my captain. He demanded I cut him down from the thicket he was trapped in. I looked into his eyes and saw nothing but dark malice. Running. Forward. As I went the ground became smoother and I thought to myself how she was making this easy on me. She wants to see me. With the thought In my mind I ran. Faster and faster as I went. I cast off the weapons at my belt and threw down the hat. I ran, I was free. I paused just a second and kicked off my shoes and released the heavy back pack from my shoulder. My spine straight and the ground soft beneath me, I ran.
No trees scratched my arms and no roots tripped me. I came to a hill and went rolling down the leafy slope. Falling into a clearing. I laughed, breathing in the chill of autumn. This was the end of the spring and the beginning of new life. I was ready. Stupid captain. Thinking he could tame the life within our souls.
“Stupid indeed,” Came a song like voice. I looked up to see the beautiful face of my childhood hero. I got to my feet and looked at her once. She did not looked as if she had aged in the slightest. Though there may have been a new collection of marks upon her skin, she was still just as perfect. Grinning at her presence. Seeing the old sadness lingering in her eyes and yet the love she still showed. Climbing to my feet, I ran and embraced the woman who was everywhere. She was life. She was shocked a minute before hugging me back.
“I’ve missed you,” I breathed. Her hand ran across my hair as a mother does to her son.
“And I you, little prince,” She responded her eyes gleaming. She planted a small kiss in my brow and took my hand. “Come. Now that you have seen you must know,” she said. With curiosity in my eyes I let myself be guided by life. She showed me of what she does. How she must judge every choice. Life and death or dark and light. Such a weight to carry that burden. She takes care of us and the earth as best she can while we are intent on destroying her. She showed how she feels what the earth does and hurts along with it. She aches for days when poison wasn't in her blood and lungs. We walked and she did all the talking. As we went I learned of life itself and how it functions and how madly in love with it I was. How could anyone forsake her beauty?
“And here little prince,” she led me to the same small clearing we had just met in, “this will be the place I will die.” I was shocked at the words and recoiled slightly but refused to break our touch. She should be sad, but no she was content. She looked into my eyes and smiled. A pure breath taking smile. Then she fell. Toppling into me I caught her impossibly light form. There was silence in the world. Gently I laid her on the ground and looked to see the troops approaching. Closing in on all sides. Her eyes grew dimmer and her hand motioned me forward. Quietly, so quietly. I strained to catch the words she said.
“Good job distracting her kid,” The captain chuckled in his loud stupid voice. I clenched my hand into a fist and watched as she lay still. “Kid?” He said. There were cheers and noises from all the members of the troop and my anger built. Ah yes, the roots. Creeping towards them. Slowly, slowly, they did not notice. Mother nature was dead. They killed her. Why worry? Oh, they should be very afraid. But they celebrated, and cheered and the captain came to pull me to my feet.
A branch shot forward and grabbed his wrist flinging him backwards. The world echoed with silence once more. They stared at me as I stood to face him.
“Did I tell you? Did I not warn you against your own stupidity? But no! I’m just a kid! The mission must go on! We must kill nature herself,” I let out and angry laugh, “and you ignored me.” My eyes flashed and I could feel the power.
“Kid please,” he was struggling to his feet now. He yelped and was drug into the air by his ankles. Hanging from the gnarled branches of an old oak.
“What did you miss? Hmmm?” I asked walking towards him. The others were backing away. Scrambling to figure this out. My palms heated. The one thing he missed would be his doom. “You cannot kill nature. Because you are nature,” His eyes were wide with terror. “I am nature and I say goodbye.” There was nothing left. No remains. He simply no longer existed. I turned back to the crowd and glared hatred at all of them. Running. They ran in fear, never free of it. Running based on the instinct I now controlled.
“You are nature, you are one with me, and as such you inherit my powers and responsibilities,” Her last words became such a burden to me. Was she created in this manner? Falling in love only to have it destroyed in front of you? That's how nature works right? A big game of creating then knocking it down and building back up. From the pain echoing in my heart I knew it would take thousands of years to cease. I was built and destroyed by nature and because of that one fact I have become one with it. I’m the rage of love and I will not be so forgiving as she. But I will be just as terrible.
A smile lit my face. I had eternity to mourn and I would wreak those who tried to destroy the land with which I was now connected. You should never play with a power you don't know how to control. You might create a monster in the process.