Nothing | Teen Ink

Nothing

January 7, 2016
By cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 1 photo 0 comments


    “But there’s no one at the door.”
    “There has to be someone at the door! Come on! We both heard that knocking!”
    “Knocking, sure. It totally wasn't just the machinery working,” Maysilee retorted.
    “Maysilee, we are literally in a lab that we don't have a single clue about beyond this room!          “Anything could be here! Who knows!”, Roger complained.
     “Oh I know, test tubes and beakers and tables,” Maysilee answered in a toneless voice, facing towards the equipment she was fidgeting with while Roger paced around the dark room. His footsteps echoed among the dark blue worn tiles and peeling wallpaper.
     “Yeah right. Some let me get this straight because I'm really confused about basically everything. You found a door that led to a laboratory in your old house. Also you have absolutely no idea what is beyond this room where there's a door leading away, yet you still dragged me into this mess!”, Roger yelled.
     “Pretty much, yes. You sure yell a lot for someone who think that there's something else here. In horror movies, isn't the monster attracted by the yelling?” Maysilee snarked, as she tried to open a sink covered with something sticky and dripping.
     “Fine I'll st- eww what's that!”, Roger yelped at the white goop coming out of the sink. The sink didn't stop flowing with it even when he ran over and desperately wrenched at the faucet knob to turn on the water.
     “It’s...nothing, I swear.”, Maysilee rasped in what seemed to Roger to be self assurance as both stared at the growing mess of white that towered out of the sink. The sound of the ventilating fans stopped and a consuming fog that was the same eerie, cold white as the goop covered everything from sight.
     Roger could feel his eyes being forced to close by the heavy fog. He struggled but could feel darkness filling his vision until his eyes shut.
     “Hey sleepyhead, wake up!”, Roger heard. It seemed to be Maysilee. Wow, that must have been a wild dream. It was just like those cliché movies he watched the night before at their sleepover. Roger groggily opened his eyes. Suddenly, his eyes snapped open.
     “I told you it was nothing!”, Maysilee exclaimed, casually leaning on a white mountain of goop. Roger’s vision focused and saw a demon with literally nothing, a void for a face that had patterns of tortured faces (or were they souls) forming from the drips and splatters. Disembodied voices echoed into nothing as the lab disappeared from view into an empty void. A rhythmic knocking, no it was a heartbeat, resonated throughout the emptiness. Punctuating the dull beat was the slow trickling of the white fluid, dripping away with the seconds.
     Roger felt as if someone had punched him from the inside out, ridding him of breath, warmth, and hope. He could sense his energy dripping away with the pattern of the dripping souls as he stumbled.
“And it will become nothing for you too!”, Maysilee exclaimed, laughing jovially as the monster sludged forward toward Roger.