Urge. | Teen Ink

Urge.

January 6, 2016
By Joisamazing SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Joisamazing SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Jonathan? Come here. I think there's something on your neck," I whisper.
I'm shaking, knowing I shouldn't have brought that up, I shouldn't have brought that up, that I can only brush a nonexistent feather off. He strolls over casually, blind to my vicious intentions. I lock my eyes on his jugular and suck in a breath.
"What?" he asks.
"Oh-" I stroke his neck and move my fingers downwards until they close around his hand. "It's just a feather."
Jonathan shrugs, leans over slightly and drops a kiss on my head.
"Love you," he says and smiles. His hazel eyes are on my hand, and I swing my arm back and forth to distract him. "You're pale." He must've noticed my silence, because he quickly adds, "Like usual. It makes you look so angelic."
I break into a smile. "Am I not? Only my looks prove so?"
"Yeah."
I can already taste metal and iron in my mouth and remember the pungent smell of blood in the air. Here is a possible victim, just a few inches away from me...but I can't. Then again, his jugular is bursting with blood coursing through...I'm trembling. Next to me, Jonathan's laughing that cute laugh I fell in love with.
"Kat's battling her inner demons. She doesn't know whether to say 'I love you' back or not. I'm telling her she should."
I can't return a grin like I usually can when he acts this way, so I squeeze his hand. Of course, he sees.
"Aw. Kitty Kat's sad."
Jonathan nuzzles my ear affectionately, but I stiffen.
"So, um, see you Monday?" I try.
My words are broken and sound unnatural. A small shiver goes up my spine, hoping he wouldn't take this the wrong way. "Babe, I'm sorry, I just don't feel good today. I forgot to take my thirst quenching pills, so PLEASE get away from me. I'm deprived of food AND energy. That's how I-"
"What? I couldn't hear you. You said something."
He's staring at me now, and I realize I had been murmuring this all aloud.
"See you on Monday?"
He seems to take forever  to comprehend this, so I hold another breath for several seconds before he nods slightly and tells me, "Yeah, okay. Yeah, sure. So, uh...call me if you need me. Or text. Call or text. It doesn't matter." He kicks a pebble out of his way. "So..."
I sense his reluctance to leave, which only drives me insane. You can't stay! I might hurt you without knowing...
"Yeah! Yeah. Um, bye!" I half-shout before I sprint away.
Jonathan grabs my arm and yells, "Wait! I forgot something!" into my ear in a desperate attempt to make me stay. I try freeing my arm, then realize I can't with his strong grip. His biceps are bulging, and the cords on his neck are pulled tight. Swiftly, his lips touch my forehead and his neck is level with my mouth. I curse myself for giving into my hunger, and bite.