The Spread | Teen Ink

The Spread

By ashleyk96767 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
ashleyk96767 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas

The Spread

In the year 2081 an unknown disease spread in Isis. it had killed everybody in its tracks leaving a population of about 1,203. The U.S came and slowly started to kill the “unknown.” The scientist, Daniel Underwood, that killed the disease said that it would not spread anymore than it had, and that the Americas should not worry.

Now, in the year 3001 people were getting crazy sick. They were having the same symptoms that the Islamic in Isis were having with the “unknown”. For some reason Daniel could not figure out how it was spreading faster, and the symptoms were almost three times worse than before. He soon figured out that the “unknown” became immune to his antibiotic, and he told the government to shut down the U.S immediately . No one could come in, nor leave, for the sake of other countries.

Soon, William Dean Baker, a scientist, found that the “unknown” does not kill like everybody thought it had. It rushes through the circulatory system and makes the heart stop. Then it resuscitates the body and pumps the heart up to twelve times faster with the infectious blood. It does reboot the body as if the person is alive, but they aren’t. They become a dead cannibal. America’s worst nightmare, yet biggest dream/fanatic, zombies.

They have taken over most of North America today. Texas made a blockade, but the “unknown” are breaking it down slowly. My father thinks we’re going to be next. I was in New Mexico at the time. I had to move from Texas because of the blockade not working. The “unknown” was coming moving faster and spreading everywhere. They are practically impossible to beat. Soon, there would be nowhere to run or hide. My life, as well as everyone else’s, became chaotic. The “unknown” are powerful, and much stronger. No one knew how powerful they actually were until they started to outnumber us. The the number of people dropped by thousands, now it’s almost a million people are gone in just one week.

I am 15, and almost everyone that I love is gone. All I have is my father, dog, and a man named Jimmy. I became very close to this man in very little time. When we were evacuating the Texas blockade he was on the side of the street shot in the leg by the government because they thought he was infected. My father refused to take him with us for the same reason. I could see the pain, and honesty spilling out of his mouth like a waterfall. He was desperate for help and I wanted to help him. I begged and pleaded for my father to care for him because I knew by the way he talked, and cried for help he was not infected. He had a very bad cut on his leg that was slowing him down, as well as the gun wound. My father amputated his leg, and my dog, champ, guided his path for walking, sitting, and practically breathing.

I woke up this morning with a racing heartbeat. My father had shaken me to wake me up without making too much noise. He rushed Jimmy, Champ, and I into a very small hole in the ground. He then took sacks filled with sand from desert Chihuahuan and put them over a bricks on a metal board to cover us. It was very dark; I could not see my hand in front of me. I could hear Jimmy’s heartbeat because of the silence. All of a sudden I could hear the sound of windows breaking, and doors collapsing on the ground. Something told me I needed to get out of this small hole in the ground. The “unknown” would find us here. I took all the strength within me to lift us what my father put down. He was angry, and he thought I was going to get hurt and become one of them, but I had a feeling I had a chance. In that hole I would die. I covered the hole and ran.

I found a tunnel and at the end there was a small fire. I could sense others, they were covered by a very large, heavy metal door. I screamed for them to open the door. They let me in, as it was closing quickly I heard a scream that was so piercing to my ears. It was the loud moans of the only people I had left dying. Soon there would be nowhere else to go. The world population skyrocketed down. I knew there was nothing else in the world for me, nor everybody else. I was going to die next, but what is the point in living in this nightmare of a world?

The short story "Harrison Bergeron" inspired me to make this peice. I hope people will get a thrill from the story, or to think about what they would do if something like this were to happen.