Catalyst | Teen Ink

Catalyst

May 27, 2015
By Deborah Pereja BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Deborah Pereja BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The brunette laughed along with her friend.

“You’re insane! Did you actually do that?”

“Of course! This is me we’re talking about, Ana.” Robyn flipped her hair for dramatic effect. “Two more blocks and we’ll be at your house.”
Anabiel sighed, “Thank god. I’m so tired. Once I get home, I'm going straight to bed.”
“Wow, I didn't think I was that boring that you wanted to go home."
"I didn't mean it like that." She frowned.
"Well, duh. I was just teasing. Now, get out of my car." Leaning over, she opened the door.
Unbuckling her seat belt, Anabiel got out of the car. "Let's do something tomorrow, yeah?"
Robyn thought for a moment, "I can't, I got a thing."

"You always have a thing."
"Yeah, because they're very important things."
Anabiel rolled her eyes, walking to the front door. "See ya, whenever then?" She yelled over her shoulder.
Robyn’s laugh was the last thing she heard, before coming inside. Turning on the light, she gasped.
Her living room was ram-sacked. The couch cushions were pulled out; her small library toppled over. The pictures on the small table were smashed. Everything was a complete mess.
Anabiel checked the rest of the house, seeing if anything important was stolen. To her surprise, nothing was. Taking out her cellphone, she called Robyn.
“Come on, come on." She nervously bit her lip. Anabiel walked around her bedroom, anxiously waiting for Robyn to pick up. The phone rang several times before she was sent to voicemail.
“Hi! This is Robyn. I'm busy, leave a message and I’ll call back whenever. BEEP."
"Robyn, pick up the damn phone. My house got robbed; well I’m not sure since nothing got stolen. Pl—"
A hard object hit the back of Anabiel’s head, causing her to fall and drop the phone. “I am going to have fun killing you."
The back of Anabiel’s head throbbed from the pain. She looked up at her attacker, frightened. “W-Who are you?"
"I'm Drew, sweetcheeks and I'm your worst nightmare." She smirked devilishly.
Anabiel’s eyes darted to the gun in Drew’s hand. She didn’t want to die. “Please, I-I’ll give you a-anything you want."
"You have nothing I want. The only thing I desire most is seeing you die a slow and painful death." Her cold brown eyes stared ominously at Anabiel’s plain blue ones.
The frightened brunette used her hands to push herself back, away from the girl. “I-I don’t even know you! I’ve never seen you in my life. Just please, leave me alone." A tear slid down her face, Anabiel felt helpless.
“I’m never leaving you alone. Why would I do such a thing, to such a pretty face?"
The comment caused Anabiel to whimper. "Go away!" She backed up more, trying to get away from her. The palm of her hand landed on a stray piece of glass, causing her to hiss. Ignoring the pain, she kept backing up. Hoping, that it would buy her some time.
"Awwww, are you scared?" Drew pouted, "Don't worry. It'll just hurt a lot." She slowly walked towards Anabiel, making the girl's heart race faster and faster with every step.
Anabiel shut her eyes tightly, knowing she was going to die. The sound of glass shattering caused her to open them. Looking up, she saw Drew turning to face Robyn. A sigh of relief escaped her lips, knowing Robyn was here. If there was one thing she knew about her best friend, it was that Robyn knew how to kick ass.
"Get the hell away from her." Robyn growled, her body shook with anger.
”Why? We were just having some fun." Drew feigned innocence.
Her behavior caused Robyn's anger to rise. The ginger threw a punch to the trespasser, only to miss.
"Gonna have to be faster than that, sweetheart." She gave a sly smile, before swiftly kicking Robyn's side.
Robyn grunted in pain, doing the same to her. The two started throwing punches at one another, moving around the room as if they were having a boxing match.
While the two were fighting, Anabiel slowly got up. She inspected her wound, visibly cringing when she saw there was a piece of glass in her palm. Trying to ignore the injury, she looked around for her phone. Her eyes frantically searched the room for the sleek black device. Unfortunately, she spotted it near the two fighting. If she got to it, she would be able to call the police and this would all be over. When Anabiel saw Robyn's body fly, yes fly, across the room she screamed her name.
"I-I'm fine." Robyn groaned.
"Really?" Drew corked her head. "Doesn't seem like it to me."
Anabiel glared her eyes at Drew, not that she would notice. She was about to go over and help Robyn, when something from the corner of her eye caught her attention. It was Drew's gun. Anabiel had two options in front of her, get her phone and call the police or grab the gun and shoot the b****. Logically, she knew she had to get the phone, knowing that the police could handle this. Looking over at her best friend, she saw how Robyn was protecting her. Anabiel went against her subconscious and went for the gun.
”Hey, lady!" Anabiel yelled, aiming the weapon at Drew.
"Oh, please." She rolled her eyes, seeing Anabiel with her gun. "What are you going to do, shoot me?"
"Maybe." She narrowed her eyes.
"You're not even holding it correctly."
"Shut up." Robyn grabbed Drew’s shoulder, piercing her blade into her back.
Drew gave out roar of pain, her eyes flickering black. "I'm not done with you." She looked over at Anabiel, before disappearing in a blink of an eye.
Robyn threw the blade to the ground, droplets of blood sprinkling the floor. She heavily breathed, hands on her hips. "That was horrible."
"S-She disappeared." The gun fell from Anabiel's grip. "Her e-eyes, they turned b-black! We have to call the police!" Anabiel made her way to her cell phone, only to have Robyn stop her.
”No! We can't do that. We have to go, right now." She placed her hands on Anabiel's shoulders. "You have to trust me."
"Robyn, I have known you for pretty much my whole life. But, we can't just leave. The police have to be informed an-"
"Anabiel, what you just saw. Do you really think the police are going to be able to help?"
She looked at Robyn’s face, knowing the answer. She sighed, knowing what she saw wouldn't make any sense to the authorities.
"No, but we can't just take this into our own hands. Think about it-- Wait." Cutting herself off, she stopped for a moment to think.
"What? Anabiel." She waved her hand over the girl's face, trying to get her attention. "Hellooooooo? Don't zone out on me now, come on this is an emergency."
"You."
"Yes, me. I'm me and you're you." She nodded slowly. "Or did you forget that?"
"No, no." She pushed herself out of Robyn's grip. “Why aren't you fazed? Shocked? We both almost died, and I just told you that, that crazy girl's eyes turned black! She disappeared out of thin air! And you, you're acting as if this is normal. Like you've seen this before, unexplainable things." Anabiel paced around the room, trying to find to the proper words to finish her thoughts. "It's like you're," she stopped and gazed at Robyn, "you're used to seeing people die." She walked up to her, and furrowed her eyebrows. "It's like, I don't even know you."
Melancholy filled Robyn’s face when those words left Anabiel's mouth, but as soon as it appeared, it was gone. "Look, I know that you're frightened right now, but please we need to go."
Anabiel backed away from her, about to say something else, but she went against it. "I'll go get packed." Leaving the room, she left Robyn to her thoughts.
As soon as she thought Anabiel was out of earshot, Robyn punched the wall, giving a frustrated yell. "Dammit!" She disheveled her long, red hair. Her hands ran down her face, while she gave an exasperated sigh.
"This wasn't suppose to happen."
-------------
Robyn sighed looking over at Anabiel's sleeping figure. There was a tremendous amount of guilt in Robyn's stomach. The more she tried to ignore the feeling, the worse she felt. But who wouldn't? If you were put in Robyn's position, you'd feel exactly the same way. Shaking her head, Robyn tried to put her thoughts aside.
"Just focus on driving, Everett." She mumbled. "Get to the safe house, and just lay low for the next few days." She kept repeating the plan to herself for the next few hours.
-------------
Anabiel dropped her duffle bag on the couch, looking around the cabin. "So.... what is this place?" She went into the kitchen, feeling hungry all of a sudden.
"This is a safe house, I come here after I do things." Robyn followed her.
"Your important things?" Anabiel asked, sticking her head in the fridge only to find nothing.
"Yes, my important things." Robyn leaned against the countertop. "Sorry, no food. I can go make a run, if you want."
Closing the fridge, she turned to face Robyn. "Yes, please. I'm starving."
"Alright." Robyn smiled, grabbing her keys from the table. "I'll be back, ASAP."
"Wait! You're gonna leave me here?" Anabiel's eyes widened, looking at her.
"Yes?" She raised an eyebrow. "After what happened, I thought you'd want to be alone. Get some rest."
"Not because of what I said earlier?"
Robyn sighed, putting the keys in her pocket. She walked over to the couch, moving the duffle to the floor. Sitting down, she waited for Anabiel. When Anabiel didn't realize what was happening, she gestured her to come over.
Muttering apologies, Anabiel quickly went to the couch and sat. Her hands were fiddling with the hem of her sweater in vexation.
"Look, I know there are some things I haven't told you about me, but I just want you to know that you can always trust me. I will always be there for you Ana, even if you don't want me to."
"I know that, Boy Wonder."
Robyn smiled at the nickname. Anabiel had so many for her because of her name.
Sighing, Robyn continued. "You know how you love all that sci-fi, fantasy stuff?"
"Yeah..." Anabiel nodded her head, not sure where this conversation was going.
"Well, I, um, that stuff is real." She spit out.
"Riiiiiiight." A look of confusion filled Anabiel's face. "You're being very general. Can you please specify.”
"Twilight, basically."
The brunette's eyes quickly blinked, even more confused. Her eyebrows crinkled together, before she spoke. "So somewhere out there," She waved her hands around. "There is a love triangle involving a werewolf, vampire, and Kristen Stewart?"
"What? No! I'm saying that vampires, werewolves, and a bunch of other crap is real!"
Anabiel's eyes lightened up in exuberance. "Seriously!?"
"Yeah.... Why aren't you, I don't know, telling me that I'm crazy? Or insane for saying such things?" Robyn was perplexed, she had gone over this conversation in her head about a billion times, and none of them had this outcome.
”Why would I? Robyn! I'm a geek, I have dreamed about this type of stuff being real, well not the Twilight stuff. This is amazing! How could you not be amazed?" She spoke with a Cheshire grin.
"Well, for one thing. It's not that amazing, more like a burden. There's a reason why I hunt them."
"You hunt them?! Wait, is that what you meant when you say you have a thing? Is this your thing?"
Robyn chuckled, "Yeah, it is. I don't do it for fun, if that's what you're thinking. These things, or monsters as I like to call them, they hurt people. It's my job to stop them."
"D-Do you kill them?"
"Yes, if I don't.... they kill more."
"Is that why at my apartment, you looked so used to it?"
Grimacing Robyn nodded. "I thought you were going to die. You don't know how scared I felt, when I saw that demon in front of you."
"That was a demon?"
"Yes, the place stunk of sulfur."
"So, that's what that smell was." Anabiel nodded to herself in understanding. "Thank you." She surprised Robyn with a hug.
"For what?" She hugged her best friend back.
"For saving my life."
Robyn smiled to herself, "You'd do the same for me. Alright," Robyn released herself from Anabiel's grip. "Enough of this chick flick moment, I'm going to go get us some food."
Once Robyn had left, Anabiel explored the cabin. She had found out there were two bedrooms, one bath, and a pretty much anything else you'd find in a cabin. So to sum up, there was nothing to do. Her body laid out on the couch, she stared at the ceiling.
I should go outside, go for a walk, and explore the great outdoors. Ha! I hate nature, with all its bugs and stuff. Just gross. But it's boring in here so...
Done debating with herself, Anabiel got off the couch and decided on going outside. She had been walking for about 15 minutes, when she tripped on a tree root and fell face first.
"Owww..." She pushed herself up, not realizing the small rock under her palm. The rock dug into her bandaged palm, causing her to hiss. She quickly sat up, cradling her already injured palm. Blood was seeping through the cloth. "Crap, crap, crap. I opened my cut."
"Awwww, want me to call mommy for you sweetie?"
Anabiel shrieked, realizing whom the voice belonged to. "D-Drew."
"Yep! That's me, sweetie." She grinned, "Did you miss me?"
"How d-did you find me?"
"I have my ways, honey." The demon smirked.
"I-I'm not afraid of you." Anabiel slowly got up. "I know what you are."
"Sure, you know what I am. Yet, you don't know my weaknesses. You only know what I am," Drew reminded her.
"That may be true, but I know Robyn will find me. Just you wait."
"You better hope so."
Raising her foot, the demon kicked Anabiel right on temple, knocking her unconscious.
-------------
Meanwhile, Robyn was driving back from the store. She had about a week's worth of grocery bags in the trunk. Parking the car in front of the cabin, she hummed to herself. Robyn was happy that she and Anabiel had sorted things out. Well, almost everything. Robyn still didn't tell Anabiel about her being...
"Nope. No, this is not the time to think about this." Robyn told herself.
She walked up to the cabin, about to unlock the door, finding it already unlocked.
Oh god, no.
"Anabiel!" Robyn ran inside the cabin. She searched every room, looking for the brunette. When she realized that she wasn't inside, she ran into the forest, hoping to find her.
-------------
Drew dragged the girl to a cleared area of the forest, dropping her to the ground with no care. Slightly raising the girl's shirt, the demon took out her knife, beginning to carve some sigils onto her stomach.
"You must understand, I can't have you alive."
"ANABIEL!" Robyn yelled, seeing what Drew was doing to her. "What the hell are you doing, Drew?!" She pushed the demon off.
She growled, raising her hand and pushing Robyn away.
"Dammit, Drew." She got up. "What the hell?! This isn't part of the plan!"
"I was never good with plans," Drew laughed.
Pulling the gun from the back of her waistband, Robyn aimed it at her. "Put the knife down."
"And why should? I'm bound to be killed," she reminded her. "Do you want me dead?"
"If you don't put the damn knife down, you're going to be." Robyn clicked the safety off, and held her finger over the trigger. "Drew, please."
Her nose twitched before setting the knife down, grunting.
Robyn clicked the safety on, returning her gun to the back of her waistband. "What were you doing? You weren't supposed to carve into her! You were told to scare her enough, to see if she really was," she flailed her arms around. "The one."
"Oh, alright. And get me killed on the way," she sarcastically commented.
"Yeah, if you do something stupid. Like this!" Robyn gestured to Anabiel's carved up body. "She would never kill anyone. Anabiel isn't like that, she's not a killer."
"We both know what she is and carving the sigils will keep her under control."
"Under control? Drew, she hasn't even done anything yet! She's just been reacting like any other person would in her situation."
While Drew and Robyn argued, the two didn't realize Anabiel slowly waking up.
"W-What?" She mumbled. Her eyelids slowly fluttered open, revealing the sky. She attempted to sit up, only to gasp in pain. There were carvings on her stomach, blood all over her clothes.
"Anabiel." Robyn gently pushed her down. "Don't get up, you'll just feel worse."
Drew looked over to them before grabbing her knife and putting it in its sheath.
Anabiel spotted Drew, ignoring Robyn, she sat up. "Y-You! You did this to me! H-How could you!?"
"Ana, just calm down." Robyn tried to put a hand on her shoulder, only for Anabiel jerk it off.
"I'm a demon. What did you expect?" She asked.
Robyn glared daggers at her. "You're not helping." She growled.
Anabiel's eyes slowly started to change. A mix of gold and black started to swirl within them. "Robyn, I-I feel strange."
She took a step back, not really liking how the situation was turning out.
Robyn quickly went in front of Anabiel, "My god.... It’s happening." She got up, stumbling a bit.
"What's happening?" Anabiel looked at Robyn frightened. "What's going on with me?"
The demon swallowed nervously, taking a few more steps back.
"Robyn. What do we do?" she asked.
"When I have an idea, I'll get back to you." Robyn's green eyes widened, she stared at Anabiel. She was beginning to glow.
"Robyn." Anabiel whimpered. "Help me."
"I-I don't know what to do." She looked over at Drew in a panic.
"Don't look at me. I don't know what to do."
The demon tried to disappear out of the place but realized she couldn't.
"Are you trying to disappear?! Nice to know you care."
Anabiel's glowing increased, and it started to look like she was about to explode with power.
Robyn patted Drew's shoulder, eventually grabbing a fistful of her shirt. "R-Run!"
The demon pulled Robyn with her, beginning to run as fast as she could.
"What happens next?" The demon questioned.
"The hell if I kn--"
An explosion of light, burst behind the two, causing them to both fall. Drew groaned, feeling a bit of blood trickle down her nose.
"She's dangerous," the demon stated.
"Now, she's dangerous. She wasn't any harm to others before." Getting up, Robyn jogged back to Anabiel. She gasped seeing her limp on the floor. "Anabiel..." Robyn whispered, kneeling down and holding Anabiel's head to her chest.
Drew only looked, but felt no sympathy or even a hint of sadness. Though, she noticed how the sigils began to heal themselves.
"Robyn. Look at her stomach," she instructed.
"Holy s***..." Robyn's eyes grew.
Anabiel's eyes snapped open; her body began to lift off the ground. She looked at the two girls, before speaking in a heavenly tone.
"I am the Catalyst."
Again, Drew swallowed nervously, realizing she was either going to die or be spared.
Anabiel's head turned towards Drew, a greyish light emitted from her hand. The energy struck Drew, causing her to fly backwards.
"Drew!" Robyn ran to her, checking to see how badly hurt she was. "Are you alright?"
"Of course. I mean, I did just fly a few feet away."
Robyn narrowed her eyes at her, "We screwed up, didn't?"
The demon nodded. "Yeah, I think we did."