Not My Time Yet | Teen Ink

Not My Time Yet

April 27, 2015
By FridaL SILVER, Tirana, Other
FridaL SILVER, Tirana, Other
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I found myself in the swarmed hallways of a busy hospital, people kept rushing past me, as if I didn’t exist. I tried talking to one of the nurses but silence was her response. I walked and walked until I found my room, I checked the wounds on my body, a large scar across my forehead, and gashes on my body. I looked around and saw my brother sitting on a chair near my bed. His face was droopy, covered in bruises and gashes, and one of his arms was on a cast, but appart from that he seemed fine. I tried speaking to him, but he wouldn’t react, I doubted he could even hear me so I gave up. Then I saw my body lying on the bed, still. Tubes of various sizes were placed in and out of my body, and frankly they were the only things keeping me alive.
I went outside my room in hope to find a doctor, luckily enough, one came into the room as I was about to exit. She approached my brother and explained my condition to him.
“Your sister’s body is highly damaged, internally and externally. We did what we could during  the surgery and hopefully she will get better, but the damage to her brain has left her in a comatose state for now...”
My brother demanded, “So she will be ok when she wakes up right?”
The doctor added, “IF she wakes up.”
If I was in a coma, then how was I “awake”, how could I be moving now. I walked around the hallways of the hospital, trying to find someone who would maybe, just maybe, could hear me, or see me. As I was about to exit my room, I saw a hazy, white, cold figure quickly pass by. I ran to keep up with it, but it had gotten away before I could get to it. As I was wandering through the hospital halls, I found the creatures in one of the rooms, hovering over the body of a young girl.
“HEY! What are you doing? Stop!” I yelled as I got inside the room. It seemed to hear me, because as soon as those words had left my mouth, the creature turned around a vanished. Still confused by what had happened, I went to the girl and made sure she was alright. I saw her heart beats and thankfully they were steady. After that, I left the room in search of the hazy creature. After over 20 minutes of searching the hospital hopelessly I returned to my room. My brother was awake this time, he was simply looking at me, well the me on the bed, no words, no holding my hand, just looking at my weak body on the bed.
“It shouldn’t have been you,” he said with his voice trembling, “this is all my fault, I should have been paying attention to the road, we should have stopped when you told me to, because otherwise I wouldn’t have fallen asleep, and you wouldn’t have ended up like this. I am so sorry, but please hang on, please. You know dad and I will kill each other without you there.” He smiled lightly as he said that last sentence.
“That was touching,” commented a cold voice from behind me. I turned around to see an slim woman, in around her twenties, with long brown hair.
“Almost made me cry, but  I need to get my work done, so if you don’t mind, I need to take you to the other side.”
“Sorry, what? Take me to the other side? Other side where? I can’t leave! You can’t take me! What about my brother?” I protested.
The woman looked at me and explained,“Look I understand that this is very confusing for you, it is for everyone, but listen, it’s your time, you have to go, and I, as a soul reaper, need to take you to the other side, wherever that takes you. You can’t change your fate, this is what was meant to happen, and you have to go with it.”
“No, how about you listen to me, I am not ready to go. I can’t leave my brother alone, it’s been hard enough that our mom died a few months ago, if I leave, he will be broken, and who are you to tell me I can’t change my fate. There’s always a choice and I choose to stay here and live thank you,” I stated.
            “If you do not agree to come with me, I will just be forced to call Death here,” she sighed.
I snapped, “Go ahead, I’m not changing my mind.”
The reaper just stared emptily into my eyes. I then felt a cold wind rush inside and the whole place seemed to become more depressive than it already was. He was nothing like the cliche Death that they show in movies, or books, holding a scythe with a long black cape;he was slim, and weary, in a black and white suit and tie, with his thin gray hair slimmed back.
“Can you give us a moment?” he suddenly asked the reaper, though something to his tone made it seem like a command.
“Yes sir, of course,” the reaper blurted and disappeared.
Oh wonderful, perfect actually, I was facing Death, literally; what did I just get myself into?