The Ischýs Stone | Teen Ink

The Ischýs Stone

By allisonburton BRONZE, Springville, Utah
allisonburton BRONZE, Springville, Utah

I slowly peeled open my eyes to see only blackness.  It took me a second to remember where I was, sitting up and looking around the small dorm room I suddenly remembered why I had woken up.  The strange noise.  I sat silently listening for what seemed like years until it happened again.  It was an odd clicking noise coming from the hall.  Slowly getting up, making sure not to wake my roommate, I walked on the balls of my feet to the door.  As I first pulled it open I couldn't see anything, just the empty dark hallway.  But I jumped as a sudden flash of red light went off down the hall where the commons area was.  It seemed strange to me but my curiosity got the best of me and I quickly grabbed slippers and started to creep down the hall, the stones cold under my feet.
A split second before I peaked my head around the corner strong hands grabbed me from behind pulling me back into the dark hallway.  As I quickly spun on my heel to face my attacker I was face to face with Grayson - causing me to silently sigh in relief.  Even though we had only been at this school for a few months, it felt as if I’d known him my whole life.  As I went to explain to him what was going on he quickly whispered, “I know, Emma. It woke me up too, get behind me.” Quickly following his orders I scurried behind his back.  As he peered around the corner his muscles tensed, I could tell something was very wrong as he turned to look at me.  He didn't have to say anything, I knew by the total and utter fear in his eyes.  He was here.  The one that had been cast out because his magic was far too dark and powerful for this school.  A part of me had always thought it was just gossip but it became all too clear to me in that moment that he was real.  Kakóénas, the Evil One.
“What’s going on? What’s he doing here?”, I whispered to Grayson.
“He’s stealing the Ischýs stone.” he answered back. That would explain it then; the clicking noise, why he’s here.  The Ischýs stone means the power stone.  Without it set in the middle of the school the whole realm will slowly fall apart. So of course it is protected by a series of enchanted locks, which Kakóénas had somehow figured out how to get passed. I couldn't let this happen.  Without thinking I went to jump into the commons area but again Grayson pulled me back.
“What are you doing?! We have to stop him!” I whisper-yelled at him.
“His powers are far greater than ours, there is no way we could stop him.  We have to go wake the elders.”
But there was one problem, the only stairway connected to the elders room were in the commons area.  So we just sat there waiting for  what seemed like hours, but was really only a couple minutes, once we were certain he was gone we sprinted up the stairs.  Grayson taking them two at a time like it was nothing while I went as fast as I could behind him panting. With my petite un-athletic figure I get out of breath over little things. 
Deciding to wake up the oldest of the three elders we ran up to his door and knocked just loud enough to wake him but making sure to not wake up everyone else in the dorm.  Slowly the door opened revealing a not so happy looking Seymour the Superior sitting up in his bed. We quickly walked into his room and told him everything that we had seen.  But instead of hopping up immediately to go after him like we thought he would, he slowly walked and woke up the other two elders: Hortensia the Honest and Irving the Irrational, filling them in on what had happened.  Once we had all returned to Seymour’s room we sat there silently.  Grayson and I exchanged concerned glances wondering what was supposed to happen next.  I finally couldn't stand the silence anymore.
“So what are you guys going to do about it?” I blurted out.
Irving responded, “We aren't going to do anything.  We can’t, a sorcerer with powers like his will sense us coming a mile away.”
“Then what’s going to...” I began stating before the thought crossed my mind, Oh no.  They can’t be serious?  There's no way they are being serious!
“You guys have to go after him.”  Before I had time to argue Irving cut in again, “We can’t alert any of the other students about this, it would result in complete chaos. You guys have to go after him and get the stone.  There’s no telling how far he has gotten already, you’ll have to leave immediately!”
I was absolutely dumbfounded.  Grayson and me fighting a sorcerer when we had only been practicing magic for a matter of months ourselves.  But I could tell by the look in their eyes that this was the only option. 
We hurried  back down to our dorms to grab clothes and shoes. The elders gave us an enchanted map that would help show where Kakóénas was.  But of course we couldn't bring our dragons so we just had to set off on foot.  The sun hadn't peaked the rolling hills yet and the grass was damp with dew.  I shivered as the brisk spring air brushed over my skin and I hugged my coat tight against me.  Checking the map it appeared that Kakóénas was headed for a group of caves that would take us about a day to reach.  
We walked until our feet were aching and the sun had gone down.  At this point it would only be about an hour until we were at the caves.  Deciding it would be best to rest and be ready for whatever may come tomorrow we found a small clearing in the dense forest and set up camp.  Thankfully Hortensia gave us an enchanted tent to spend the night in and a bag full of food.   Being exhausted from the long journey we scarfed down food and went to bed immediately.  Unable to fall asleep I just laid there silently thinking about what would await us tomorrow.  All I had to do was get my hand on the stone and the spell the elders put on me would bring me back to the school.  But I also had to be holding Grayson’s hand or there’s a chance I would be the only one to return. 
“Can’t sleep either, huh?” Grayson asked causing me to jump.
“No, I can’t stop thinking about tomorrow. You?”
“Same here.  Emma?” he asked in a weird tone causing me to look at him as he continued to stare at the roof of the tent. “Promise me that no matter what happens, if I am not next to you and you have the opportunity to grab the stone you will.”
“No! There's no way I’m leaving you, what if….”
“Emma, you have to!” Grayson said, cutting me off. “If it’s the only way to save everyone you have to take the opportunity.  Promise?” I sat there in silence.  Not knowing what to say.  Of course he was right, like always.  But I didn't like the idea of leaving without him.  I’m an only child so he was like the brother I never had.  I didn't like the thought of leaving him. 
Reluctantly, I responded, “Ok, I promise.”
“Good. Now get some rest, you’re going to need all the energy you can get for tomorrow.”
Rolling onto my other side I stared at the tent wall trying to fall asleep, until finally my eyelids grew heavy and I drifted off. 
I woke up to the sound of the tent opening, springing to my feet ready to fight I looked at the door.  All my senses on high alert, wand in hand, ready to fight.  But the tent flap opened to reveal a groggy looking Grayson, his hair flat on one side and drool still on his cheek.  There was no time to laugh about that now.  Silently we looked at each other nodding as if saying that we need to pack up and head out.  Quickly eating some more food and rolling up the tent we began to walk.  I guess neither of us felt like talking because we stayed silent until the mouth of the caves were visible. 
“Emma, remember what you promised me?”
“Yes, don’t worry, I remember.” I answered back.
“Good!” He grabbed me and gave me a tight hug, catching me off guard. “Just in case,” he whispered. 
Letting go we continued to walk silently to the cave, never taking our eyes off the opening.  There was no sign of anyone or anything.  The only sound I could hear was both mine and Grayson’s breathing and the occasional snap of a twig under our feet, which would cause us to both jump.  As cliché as it sounds, it was quiet..too quiet.  But still we continued on until we were at the mouth of the cave.  I strained looking into the cave to see if anyone was in there.  I was about ready to give up when suddenly something caught my eye - the beautiful azure colored  Ischýs stone.  Throwing caution to the wind I sprinted for the stone with Grayson on my heels.  Once I was in arm's length of the stone I reached my hand back for Grayson to grab.  But when he didn't immediately grab it I quickly turned around to see where he was.  I gasped.  I knew this was all too easy! How could I have been so stupid? At the opening of the cave stood Grayson struggling away from Kakóénas with no luck.  I felt frozen, seconds dragged on for hours.
“Emma! You promised!” Grayson yelled. 
He was right, I had. So with tears in my eyes as I squooze them shut, I clasped onto the stone.  It felt as if a huge gust of wind had hit me and then I heard Seymour telling me that I had done it.  But I was still too scared to open my eyes, opening them would make it real and I wasn't ready for that.  Reluctantly I slowly opened them to see Hortensia with a grim look on her face.  All she had to do was nod and I knew I was right.  With tears in my eyes and fire in my heart I sprinted to the dragon stable, ignoring everyone calling after me.  There was no way I was just going to leave him.  I saved the school.  Now I had to go save Grayson.