Oscar and Alphonse | Teen Ink

Oscar and Alphonse

By JadedAngel PLATINUM, Leavittsburg, Ohio
JadedAngel PLATINUM, Leavittsburg, Ohio

I'm Pretty, but I'm not Beautiful
I Sin, but I'm not the Devil
I'm Good, but I'm no Angel
-Marilyn Monroe

She knew it was time to send them back , the caterpillars softly wiggled in her hand spelling out “goodbye”. Bryn loved nature and the outdoors but especially the woods. She’d always felt at home there and often begged her teacher to do their lessons outside. The teacher Mrs.Post often agreed, due to the fact that Bryn payed far more attention when they were outside. During breaks in between her lessons Bryn would often walk through the woods and admire the wildlife. It made her smile seeing how peaceful and dependent that creatures were.
Bryn loved caterpillars especially and always has, that’s why today it was hard to let them go as her teacher harangued her to return. Winter would come soon and all of the magnificent beauty would be hidden, she couldn’t bare it. As her teacher continued yelling she placed them down on the soft warm late fall grass and turned swiftly to return to her lesson. As she got closer to the clearing, she wondered what adventures she could find if she didn’t go back. She sat down by a large tree to ponder this quiet thought.  She then dismissed the thought as she heard the teacher grow near and headed towards the voice, but once Mrs.Post was in her sights she turned and ran the opposite direction.
She went back to the spot she put down the lovely purple fluffy caterpillars, but they were long gone. Bryn wandered through the dense woods for hours as the sun began to set in the sky. She had seen no caterpillars and she about to give up hope when she saw a peculiar animal unlike anything she had seen before. It was long like a wolf with legs like a lion, and it face was somehow fox like, yet the tail swayed like that of a house cats. For looking like a major complication it was a rather stunning creature it looked powerful but yet sweet. This was confusing for Bryn most animals either looked sinister or sweet not in the middle. It amazed her and she immediately became captivated.
Bryn followed it watching its graceful movements, she was caught in the snare of the creatures appearance. The creatures head turned towards her and she instantly hunched to hide herself in the thick bushes, not realizing they were rose bushes she cut her left arm deeply. When she popped back up the creature was gone, it was dark now and she was alone. Bryn was never afraid of the dark but there was something different about it tonight. She began walking around looking for a way back home but she couldn’t remember which way it was.
This made Bryn feel sick to her stomach, she just kept walking hoping the bwoods ended somewhere. Nocturnal  creatures began to come out, owls with their golden eyes and bob cats with their green ones. She loved the colors at night.  Bryn not paying attention tripped over a branch and slammed to the ground. When she forced herself back up her surroundings were different, she'd never seen anything like this before. There were little lantern in the trees and some kind of strange flowers flying around them.
Bryn intrigued by this walks closer to get a better look. That’s when she realized they were fairies, they looked exactly like lilies. Bryn rubbed her eyes she couldn’t believe it. She continued walking and stumbled upon a gravel path, well she thought it was gravel. Once Bryn stepped on it, the path moved. Bryn jumped back shocked by what just occurred, she then took a close look and realized it wasn’t a path it was some kind of long, thin, bumpy snake. Everything she was seeing kept getting weirder as she walked along she heard strange whispers and couldn’t pinpoint where they were coming from. Bryn was starting to get scared by all the unbelievable things she was seeing.
Bryn  kept walking though, she didn’t know what else to do. She came to what seemed to be a field of mushrooms but it was insanely smoky. She walked in anyway, but once inside she saw a huge purple caterpillar. “Oscar?” Bryn asked questionably. The caterpillar then faced her and said “Bryn what are you doing here?” Bryn just about fell over when Oscar spoke, it was becoming too much. A creature came through into the mushrooms, Bryn’s huge green eyes widened. It was the same creature she had seen earlier. It looked to Oscar and in a voice that dripped like honey said “What is she doing here? How did she get here? Do you recognize who she is? How could this happen? The Queen will have our heads!” Oscar then defensively spoke “Alphonse calm down we’ll figure it out.” It was too much Bryn blacked out
When she opened her eyes she was in an unfamiliar room, it had bright blue walls and an incredible pink ceiling.  When she rolled to her side she realized she was on a bed, but she was still highly confused on where she was. The room was empty and seemed nice, Bryn was finally starting to like this place and its wacky madness.  It was beautiful, she watched as the huge dark door opened and in came Rose! Bryn sighed heavily and asked “Rose, where am I? When did you guys find me?” Rose grinned ear to ear she’d always been an evil sister. Rose then spoke softly saying “They didn’t find you. You are here in my kingdom and you will conform to how I run things or you will be killed. Hung to be specific, I run a tight ship, you dress nicely, act appropriate and obey my every whim.”
Bryn’s eyes turned to the soft green grass, she didn’t want to live as one of her sisters followers she wanted to be free. Its all she’s ever wanted Rose had always been the favorite and here she was again running everything. Bryn looked up and Rose was right in front of her face. She squirmed then strongly said ”I will not follow you. I want to be free and I shall be such. In fact sister darling what do you say about playing a game of sorts? ” Rose loved games especially competitions, so she nodded yes quickly. Bryn  smiled and said “That’s what I thought. The object of the game is to the vote between the people of the town, we each get to give a speech before they vote. The winner becomes ruler/ in charge of this place! That way both are opinions are clear. We can start anytime you get the town together.”
Rose’s eyes gleamed with excitement she was seventeen, Bryn was thirteen she was sure she could outsmart her. She softly laughed “The main balcony in one hour, I’ll have Alphonse and Oscar show you the way since they seem to have captivated you” Rose then left her maroon tight dress swaying as she left. Once she had exited Bryn  sighed, she had to come up with a way to win public view in only one hour. She pondered for what seemed like forever before finally getting a spectacular idea. She would free them, no ruler. Democracy instead of Monarchy, the people would eat it up.
Once exactly an hour had passed Alphonse and Oscar showed up thrilled to see Bryn. Alphonse quickly said “I’m sorry we got you into this I never should’ve crossed the portal, now you in a competition against evil itself.” Oscar  butted in “Listen she’s going to be fine Alphonse let her be. I am sure she has a plan to take down the queen.” Bryn then explained her plan of the way to the balcony. The two loved it and couldn't wait to see it in action.
Rose chose to go first, she strutted onto the balcony and the crowd cheered glad to see their queen. Rose then delivered her speech explaining how things would remain the same, life would continue as long as her word was followed. Once she finished she introduced Bryn to the town. Bryn was nervous but pushed the words out. She explained democracy how everyone get a say, how no one person had all the power. When both were finished Alphonse was chose to count the votes. Bryn was petrified at the thought of losing, she didn’t want to be here anymore. She wanted to go home. It took Alphonse twenty minutes to get the number and then  came out on the balcony and in an booming voice said “The winner is Bryn. Say hello to our new Ruler.” The crowd roared with excitement and Bryn laughed hard. She had never thought she’d win.
Rose ran out that day and was never seen again. Bryn stayed in this magical place for about four year. She taught the inhabitant everything about democracy and how to keep it from being corrupt. She taught them to share and be loyal to the society as a whole rather the one person. The villagers ate it up, they loved every second of it, they all had so much more freedom and much less arguing. It became a type of nirvana for all the creatures including Bryn. A long time had passed and Bryn’s homesickness just kept getting worse, she missed her family more with each day. Finally she announced to them all that she was going to return home, the entire place, every single creature roared. They were all worried of what would happen now.
Bryn simply explained to keep doing things the way they are. Everything would remain peaceful, she agreed to stay for one last night but that was it. The entire town came together and threw a festival in her honor. The fairies lit up the night the trees provided shelter. All night the danced and sung and made merry. Each creature told Bryn bye and how they would miss her, Bryn felt horrible for leaving but she knew she must. After the long night was over she laid down on the soft grass, and laid on a pillow of flowers and drifted off to sleep.
When she opened her eyes, she was staring at a plain white ceiling. Bryn was so confused, she sat up quickly and looked around. She was inside her room, not the tree or her room in the castle no her actual room. She didn’t know how she got here but she knew all of that wasn’t a dream. A few minute later her mother came in and said “Bryn darling are you up?” She peaked in the door then smiled and softly said “I’m so glad you're alright. Mrs.Post found you face in the dirt earlier this afternoon. I don’t want you playing in those woods anymore” Bryn asked “Where’s Rose?” Her mother laughed then spoke “Since when do you care?......She’s in her room darling, don’t worry about her”
Bryn grimaced as her mother got up and left the room. She was home and that meant everything that goes with it, school, Rose and being under the boss. She wanted to go back, to find that magical place again, but what if it was just a dream. Then she suddenly thought the scar on her arm from the day she trailed Alphonse. She quickly ripped the sleeve on her long sleeve shirt up and there it was the scar down the length of her arm.  Bryn knew for sure now that the land was no dream.