In the end | Teen Ink

In the end

By bboicee GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
bboicee GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida

"Be what you are. No one who really loves you will stop."-Luke Garroway, TMI

As we aboard the platform I couldn’t quite grasp how in the world I ventured in such an odd position. I manage all my life to get good grades, take the difficult classes, but somehow I wound up walking along this mysterious hallway pondering my fate. How could not only my own fate but the world’s be in my fragile hands? I’ve come to realize that I’ve many experiments have been performed on the human race and who knows what these people have prodded at and stuck their needles in. Beside me stand my friends, Jess and Grant, by the looks worn upon their faces I can tell that they’re just as frightened as I am. We had just found out that our world has been secretly ruled by extraterrestrial beings. They found us in the secret library at Occultus and captured us to be brought to this institution of darkness.
I keep thinking to myself of how I had ever gotten myself into such a position with the two people who I love most in this world. I look and Jess and Grant and I can’t quite tell how they’re being so strong and not falling into pieces like I am.
We’re escorted by guards in all black uniforms with hard helmets to the leader of this secret organization within our government. The eerie and shadowing hallway doesn’t help with the overwhelming paranoia sinking in the pit of my stomach. We pass several rooms where in the door framed with a small window I am just able to glance at a girl. I could see the bags that lay heavily under her eyes, numerous cuts, bruises, and gashes that run up and down her body, her skin pale as a sheet, her body the size of an infant as well as the tears swarming her bloodshot eyes begging to be let out of that tortuous room. There were chains binding her wrists and ankles to the wall and her clothes look ragged and dirty. I turn my head away as my mind races with all the possibilities of what could have happened to that poor girl. I grab Grant’s hand for reassurance as one of the guards opens the door leading us to a room to only find blank white walls occupied with a lady sitting a grand mahogany table and three matching chairs with crimson velvet covers placed before her.
A grin spreads cheek to cheek as we enter, “Come in, come in. Sit down, would you dearies?”
Her hair crept jet black with the exception of a faint blonde strip, her fierce eyes looked almost white because of how blue they were, and couldn’t have more than forty. She wore a burgundy suit with a navy tie and her finger nails were incredibly long. As she began to curiously scan our individual faces she quickly waves her guards off. 
“Well, well, well who do we have here? I see that you have discovered my plans,” she grits through her whitened teeth.
“I’m sure as hell you know who were since you seemed to have had the indecency to drag us all to this asylum. I saw that tortured girl; you can’t hide this from anyone any longer. The files are already exposed. The public knows,” I reply with my utmost confidence.
“Oh, but my manners have somehow escaped me, I am Cecilia I---”
“What the hell is even going on here? These experiments that you’re running are illegal. You can’t “perfect” the human race by riding their flaws. We’re supposed to trust you, you run our country, our home,” Grants interrupts with agitation.
Taking a deep breath while closing her eyes she soon glares at us as if we were unintelligent and too foolish to understand. She says calmly, “Children you simply don’t understand the greatness we are trying to bring to your world.”
“Your world? What do you mean “your world”? There’s only the Milky Way and we’re the only inhabiting beings within this galaxy,” exclaims Jess.
“My point exactly. We aren’t from here, as I look before you is simply an allusion that we have presented in your little brains. We have duped you into believing that Earth is the only planet with life forms on it. You can’t possibly think the possibilities just ended you pesky humans. Space is inevitable, you fools,” she soon became frustrated with our contrast in beliefs but continued. “Earth is the tenth planet with life forms that we have inhabited and as once again we plan or pardon me, we will, assimilate you all into our ways of living. That reoccurring excruciating pain you feel in your left leg, Terra, is due to bone marrow biopsies performed during your sleep and your memory loss or early signs of “Alzheimer’s”, Grant is really us simply stealing your memories to better ourselves. We aren’t trying to perfect your race, we’re trying to steal everything that you’re made up of and adapt it to our kind.”
Shock is written across all three of our faces. I am the first to speak after the shocking silence engulfed the room, “So what exactly do you want from us?”
“Not exactly us. You, Terra.”
“You won’t lay one of those talons on her,” Grant yells as he pulls the gun out of his boot and directs it towards Cecilia. Guards pour into the room, busting down the door down, immediately pointing their guns in all directions towards Jess, Grant, and I. A laugh soon fills the room as Cecilia rises out of her chair and towards Grant.
“You really think that silly toy will harm me? Go ahead and shoot me. Nothing will happen,” she declares as she notices Grant’s confidence deplete. He, however, keeps his gun intact and still and she begins to circle around him, his eyes never leaving her. “Now we can do this nonviolently if you desire. I promise no one will be hurt. Not that it matters anyhow because clearly I will receive what I want. You’re outnumbered little boy.”
“Grant, lower the stupid gun.” He drops it to the floor, recognizing that the probability of us winning is slight. There are three of us and ten of them.
“Oh magnificent. Now, I will make you deal. I am a woman of her word and I also do not make many bargains so listen up.” I roll eyes in disbelief as she continues, “I want her memories,” as she points at me. “Your life has experienced every emotion possible; it’s not like anything I have ever seen before. Joy, bliss, excitement, lust, love, loss, depression, anxiety, curiosity, innocence, grief, frustration but oh I’m sure you know of course right, Terra?” I can’t help but strain myself from the impulse of wanting to smack that damn smirk off her face.
“What will you do with them?” I interrogate.
“I will give them to my people so that they can feed off them. It will prepare them of the challenges that we will face. They’re just memories, Terra. Give me them and your beloved planet will remain unharmed. All experimentation will cease.”
Simultaneously Jess and Grant yell, “No! No way Terra, you can’t do this.”
“Will it hurt?”
“Not in the slightest, deary. But them,” she glances at Jess and Grant, “they will be hurt.”
“You can’t be actually considering this, Terra,” Grant says with pleading eyes. “You can’t. We’ll find another way.”
“There is no other way. I’m sorry. Maybe they’ll come back and or just help me remember,” I choke out as tears roll down my cheeks.
“The decision is made! How grand. Okay to begin—" She is cut off by the astonishment of Grant rushing towards me kissing me full on the mouth. I absorb his smell as I embrace him and rub my fingers through his dark hair. The guards rip us apart and I begin to stop trying to fight them and accept my fate. Cecilia presses her fingers against my temple but then slowly but surely the world begins to fall away from my perception. Soon in the end of it all, out of everything I have lost, my mind is what I miss the most.