Half-Blood | Teen Ink

Half-Blood

February 27, 2015
By blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If Life is art, Then what is Death?"


  Life was never the same after that dark and dusty day in London, England. It had been raining pretty heavily, and the roads were slippery and muddy from peoples shoes sliding across the pavement. I walked alone on the sidewalk, passing by a Mcdonalds and a chinese restaurant on my return home. I didn’t expect to walk straight into a crowd of people who were searching for me, searching for anyone like me. But my hood fell down as I bumped into one of them, revealing the small horns on my head.

         “Theres one of those creatures!” One of them shouted, pushing through the crowd. I backed up, my grey eyes wide open. They were holding chains and metal bats. At the time I didn’t think of what was going on but I knew. This was one of the many hate groups that terrorise the half-bloods like myself. The half-bloods are people who look like humans but have some animal properties as well. It depends what your parents were, mine were both half deer so they had horns, and so forth. I had never seen anyone going this far with their hate.
  
          One of them grabbed my arm and shoved me into the alley where they then wrapped the chains tight around my neck, locking them to a pole. I was so scared, and I could tell that they could see the fear in my eyes. I shut them as tears ran down my face. I struggled against the chains but only caused my neck to get cut up. I didn’t even realise until I opened my eyes that one of them had a whip. They hit it across my face while yelling things like “Monster! Freak!” But I shut it out. When they finally stopped hitting me they left. I was bruised and bloody, and stinging all over. I tried to open the lock but I couldn’t guess the combination. I sat against the wall, sobbing. The rain started up again and soaked me to the core, making me shiver. I hated this. I hated this place and these people and just everything. The rain and my tears mixed with my blood as I shook.
             
             When I heard footsteps coming down the alley I thought it was the hate group returning to finish me off. I huddled in the corner near the pole, feeling the chains pull and hurt my neck. When I heard a girl yell something down the alley, I opened my eyes. The lady ran to me, her hood covering her face as she whispered “It’s going to be alright. Calm down.”. She stroked my hair softly and calmingly as she waited for her comrade to run down the alley. She took off her hood, revealing black-cat ears to show she was a half-blood as well. Her black hair curled over her forehead, showing her bright light blue eyes. She wore a lavender spiked collar, which was the signature clothing piece of the Rouges, a group dedicated to protecting the half-bloods in many cities around the world. When I saw the collar she smiled, and looked down the alley again. When no one came, she sighed and stood up, brushing off her black skinny jeans, before placing her ear the the lock. Her hearing must be amazing, because on her first try she unlocked it. She unwrapped the chains from around my neck, and looked at all the shallow cuts and rub marks left. She murmured something like “That’s going to be a nasty scar,” Before picking me up. I was so young at the time, only 14, and all I could think as she took me to the hospital was that she was my guardian angel.

             When I woke up in the hospital bed it was already 3 Am. I was still sleepy from the drugs I had been given for the pain but I managed to keep my eyes open. I looked around the dark room lit up by moonlight as my grey eyes adjusted to the dimness. I saw a chair pulled up near my bed as if someone had sat there waiting for me to get up, but it was empty. I was alone in the room, but that was probably only because visiting hours were over. I looked over at the bedside table and saw my cell phone, its little samurai cat phone charm covered in mud. Underneath the phone was a note, which I picked up and read.

              “Dear young boy I saved,
You may or may not have noticed the cell phone on the table. It was in your jacket pocket when I took you to the hospital. They almost threw it away when I noticed it but I managed to get it before they could. It has a few missed calls from your mom and some texts from your brother. The screens cracked but i’m sure you would be able to still use it. I’m sorry we didn’t get to talk long, but your heath was of concern at the time. The hate group that attacked you is being looked into by the Police. I recommend that you and your family move away from London, if you have the money to. London’s hate crimes are up in the roof ever since the half-blood discovery in 2035, so please stay safe. There’s a town I believe would be good for you and your family… it’s called Mayberry. It’s an all half-blood town on the coast, hidden near a mountainside. It’s only reachable by train. I would also recommend that you tell the mayor there that you’re a half-blood, because since the accident you may not look like one. Hopefully this helps you.
                                                                                                             Stay Safe,
                                                                                                                Moon
.”
           I stared at the note. My thoughts roared at how she said that I don’t look like one. I almost instantly moved my hands to touch the horns on my head, but only felt little nubs in my hair, covered by bandage. My hands began shaking uncontrollably, and I felt tears rim my eyes. “No, no no no no no no no NO” I covered my face as I mumbled the words wiping away the tears. I lay my head back on my pillow, my messy blond hair covering my eyes as I cried myself to sleep. I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t care if it took all the money my mom and brother had, but we were moving to Mayberry. We were moving far away and no one could stop us.