The Ring | Teen Ink

The Ring

By TylerR BRONZE, Indio, California
TylerR BRONZE, Indio, California

Life was boring for Garrett Dunwell, until the day everything in his world changed. Garrett had lived in Denver, Colorado for nearly a year, his mom working at the convenience store a few blocks away from their apartment. Garrett was cleaning the counter in the kitchen of the apartment when he noticed a strange, glowing ring on the table.
A few weeks after the start of his freshman year of highschool, Garrett came home and was cleaning off the marble counter he noticed a strange glowing ring.Garrett pick up and examined the ornate ring with a slight blue glow to it, he decided to try it on. When he took it off, he was laying on the sofa. Garrett got up and looked at the clock, which read “8:46 A.M.” Garrett blinked and read the clock again, still reading the same thing, “Did I fall asleep?” Garrett asked the empty house, “I wonder when mom will be home.” He turned on his phone, and when he glanced at the date his mouth dropped, there wasn’t a date, “Thats weird,” Garrett said, “there’s nothing, where there should be a date.”. Garrett restarted his phone and it said the same thing. He walked over to the window and drew the curtains and what he saw he couldn’t believe.  
What used to be businesses, houses, apartment complexes, was now trees, shrubs, and tall grass. He blinked and rubbed his eyes, assuming it was just a hallucination. but nothing changed when he opened his eyes. He went and swung open the apartment door. Almost falling off, Garrett clutched the door frame, he watched rubble fall a few feet to the ground. He jumps down, and without him knowing the ring drops from his pocket and onto the rocks behind him. He walks forward and looks around, not finding anything to his interest. Garrett decided to scout his surroundings, not too far away from where he started he noticed the puddles rippling and the small gravel bouncing, he looked up and there, not two feet away was a tyrannosaurus rex! “What…. how ….” Garrett was speechless he backed up slowly and went back to the apartment, he climbed up a few feet into the doorway, and looked for the ring.
“Where is it?” Garrett said in an irritated whisper, after tearing up the part of the apartment that was teleported with him, he jumped down as quietly as he could, and looked around, nearly stepping on the ring he picked it up and slid it on. “Nothing…. how… how do I get it to work?” Garrett asked himself aloud. He thought of his mom, his regular life, his school, his friends, and the ring flashed a blinding green. He woke up again back on the couch he looked around as he lay, “Everything back to normal?” he said to the empty house.
“Garret? I’m home!” his mom said loudly as she entered the front door.
“Mom!” Garrett said as he got up and hugged her. “How was your day? Good?” he asked. His mom nodded, and Garrett hugged her once again, and looked at the ring glowing a greenish color. Garrett pulled away knowing his mom must be tired, he took off the ring and put it on a string-like necklace he made.
Garrett sighed happy to be home, he looked out the window happy to see cars pass by, the business signs and “OPEN” signs lit up. He went and opened the front door carefully this time, and looked down, happy to see their “WELCOME” mat on solid, concrete ground. “Life’s not so boring after all” Garrett said to the ceiling after he laid back down on the sofa. Once more, he examined the ring, then dozed off into a dream of dinosaurs.