You Are Not Human | Teen Ink

You Are Not Human

By woolenweevil GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
woolenweevil GOLD, Centerville, Iowa

“You are not human. You were created from a genetic experiment. A genetic experiment that went totally wrong. I’m sorry, but you’ve been slated for destruction.” Those are the words that I heard exactly 1 year ago. Now I was on the run.  And I was alone. I had no Mother, no father, and my brothers and sisters were mutants like me, but they were successful. We didn’t look much different from humans, but we were different. We had the body form of a human, but our eyes were keener, we had unrelenting speed, and our strength was unmatched by any thing in this world. Now with this information, you would think we would be heavy, but it’s quite the opposite, we are light as paper. And now for the part that has me on the blacklist. We are supposed to be mentally incapable of making our own choices. I was the exception, and they didn’t want something more powerful than them, so they decided to destroy me. The others were too dumb to make their own decisions, so they would listen to whatever was told to them.

Exactly 1 year ago, I had lost everything. I had no money to fend for myself. I couldn’t get a job for the sake of I was always on the run. So it was whatever I could scrounge up for food in dumpsters, which wasn’t much, and water I boiled over my makeshift fires. I heard the whooping and hollering of my chasers, they were miles away. They were causing a lot of ruckus. But it also helped me stay way ahead of them. Tonight I would be able to rest easy knowing they wouldn’t get me. I decided to make a makeshift bow with some arrows. I needed some kind of weapon and I was good with melee, close range and the common stick or even sword would break with the strength that we held. No, a bow would have to do. I saw some deer grazing in a field near my campsite, I decided to test my new bow. I pulled back the strings and knocked an arrow and aimed. I released the string from my fingers and saw the arrows whiz to its mark. Straight and true to the heart. I pulled out my little knife and went to the kill. I gutted it and skinned it, then I took the meat and hung it above my fire to cook. Within about 30 minutes my meal was done.  This was a proper meal, something I hadn’t had in a long time.  The meat was a little tough, but I didn’t care it tasted so well. I decided to get a few hours of rest after disposing of my leftovers. I didn’t want unwanted visitors in the night.

The next morning, I woke to find that the whooping and hollering of my chasers was a lot closer, like less than a mile. They must have not slept last night and continued on through the night. I quickly doused my fire, grabbed my bow and arrows, and packed my bedding, leaving no evidence of me being there minus the fire. I ran and ran as hard as I could, diving through trees and dodging bushes, making little sound as possible. After about an hour of straight running, I came across a major highway. This was a bad place to be because they would have cars patrolling the area where I was. I decided to take my chances and ran down the side of the highway. Another hour passed by and a police man pulled up beside me.

“where you headed in such hurry, young lady?” he asked,
I thought of an answer quickly, “I’m just out for a morning run”
“Oh ok, stay safe we’ve had reports of a couple escapees from a local lab.” He replied and waved me goodbye. I looked back and listened for a minute. The whooping and hollering was miles away again. I know they could still smell me, because I could smell them and I was upwind. I turned to run again, but found a black car in my path, a group of burly looking men stepped out. Oh great, I thought, they found me. I looked at my possible escape routes, it was the forest next to me, run to the other side of the highway and go through that forest, or trick them and take their car. I decided to run into the forest and circle back, leaving a small trail for them to follow leading away from the highway, then I would make my way back to the car and take-off. I bolted and they followed. I broke branches, made footprints, and altogether made a path of destruction. I lost them in the dense wilderness and made my slowly around, largely circling around to the highway. When I reached the highway, I found the car exactly where they left it. I hopped in and seen the keys were still in. I turned the key and pulled it in to drive and drove away.

After a few hours of straight driving, the car dinged at me, I looked at the dash to see that the car was out of gas. Crap! I thought. I pulled over, hopped out, and started running. I remembered what they said. Never trust anyone, trust your instincts. I saw a sign ahead indicating the police station, the hospital, and a few gas stations. None of them would be help. If I went to any of them and told them who I was, they’d take me back for sure. No I couldn’t go back. I was alone forever.

After running for a few miles, I was winded. I wanted to make a camp and rest, but I didn’t want to draw attention to myself.  I found an old abandoned house off on a side road. It was good as any I guess. I broke the door open and went in. The place still had furniture and little food, probably used as a hunting shack. I grabbed a bag of chips and lied down on the couch. The couch was rough and dusty, but it was better then sleeping on the ground.

I woke up the next day to find I was in the trunk of a car. The place had been a trap. I was doomed and I knew it. We drove for several hours, finally coming to a stop. The trunk flew opened and they picked me up. I tried to move, but my body stayed limp. Had they drugged me? They took me in a building, the lab, and strapped me to a table.  Dr. Robin came in and sat down beside me. He started by explaining why I was a failed subject. Then something caught my attention. He explained why I was unable to move, it was the main reason I was slated for destruction. My genetics would only go for so long before my body would slowly shutdown. The news hit me like a boulder. They were trying to save me from that horrible end. Then he explained that he was going to end my suffering. At that moment, he pulled out a large syringe. Strangely, I didn’t even want to resist, I wanted this. I no longer wanted to be on the run. I just wanted to be at peace. He injected the needle and clicked it empty. I slowly faded away with a smile on my face.