Watching | Teen Ink

Watching

December 12, 2014
By Anonymous

I’ve always been very observant of people. I pay attention to little details no one else. I’m neither a stalker nor a spy, as you would say, just a watcher. I like to see people’s small habits that even they probably don’t even know they do. However, I was able to put my skills to the test when I was recruited to a classified program, where my job is that I’m assigned an individual why my programs labels as an “alien.” He or she may have been doing suspicious activities that have alarmed my bosses, thus, making them an alien. My boss, Cindy, says there are twenty aliens living among us in the country. These aliens are humans, with special powers. We don’t know what their intentions are, but our job is to find out who is an alien and to catch them and bring them to our headquarters where the Pros, the highly trained workers, will take them for investigation.
I’ve been assigned Jake Warren, who just so happens to be in five of my classes in school. On the first day of duty, I go to school and I immediately study him to see if he matches the signs of an alien, which I had an intensive training on. Right away, I see that he resembles numerous signs, including triangular shaped ears, excessive blinking, and biting the insides of his cheek. I’m off to a good start. It’s a good thing my physical appearance allows me to seem innocent and easily blend in with the crowd. I’m like a shadow; people know I’m here, but they don’t really pay attention to me.
It’s been almost two months since I’ve been watching Jake. I haven’t made much progress. I’ve learned some things about him, such as he is reserved, he never smiles with his teeth, and he rolls his head a lot. One day, our teacher assigned us as partners for a project. I thought to myself, “What a great opportunity to learn more about him!” We’ve never spoken before, so this was my chance. At the end of class, I told him to meet at our local café to talk about our project.
It has already been fourteen minutes past the time we were supposed to meet. I stare at my watch again and frown. From what I’ve noticed, Jake is always early, even to class. I looked back up again and was startled to see Jake sitting across from me, staring at me. I never noticed how greet, almost too animated like, his eyes were. He blinked again, and his green eyes seemed a hue lighter. It was another sign.
“Hi Kit. How are you doing?” Jake asked. I can’t stop staring at his eyes. The more I look at them, the more cat like they seem.
I gulped, but remained calm as my instincts were telling me that something was wrong. I needed to get him to the headquarters.
“Good. I forgot something in my car. Will you help me get it?” I asked politely.
He shrugged, and I grabbed my keys, which had my ID badge for the program, and walked outside, towards my car. Right as I was about to unlock my car, Jake cleared his throat, so I looked up. My heart dropped as I didn’t see Jake, but saw my keys floating in mid air. I looked at my hands and saw my keys were no longer in my hands.
“Looking for this?” He chuckled, dangling my keys. Right then I saw that Jake made himself invisible. I immediately reached for my phone to call my boss, but an invisible hand covered my mouth and the next thing I knew, I was in the passenger’s seat.
“You’re not going anywhere with me.” Jake smirked as he saw my ID, which confirmed that he knew who I was. He then pulled out of the parking lot, automatically locking the car. “Nice try, but unfortunately for you, you’re coming with me.” I tried to scream, but I couldn’t. This was not at all what I was expecting to happen. I was supposed to capture him, not the other way around! Right when I was about to panic, I realized that my car could be tracked down by my boss.