Pitch black labyrinth | Teen Ink

Pitch black labyrinth

October 22, 2014
By Kalman BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
Kalman BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As the shadow clouds my eyes, this could be the end. Struggling to maintain consciousness, my breaths are short and my hands are trembling. The sun-glazed sand has left my body severely burnt. As my eyes grow darker my mind slips, falling in an abyss, a film of darkness. Using all the strength in my body I try to shake this feeling, but there is no stopping it, I continue to fall. I wave my arms; kick my legs but still cannot shake this feeling. Contemplating giving up, the sensation has stopped. Moving around is no use, I am stuck in mid air it seems. Suddenly the sensation returns, a quick drop, only to be stopped. My body falls onto a hard surface; the pain is sharp, but dulls out quickly. Placing my hands on the smooth, mirror- like surface I get back to my feet, and brush myself off.
“Where am I?” I say to myself
This place is dark and hazy; the absence of light is chilling. It is times like these when I fear what can happen next. I am not afraid of the dark but complete darkness is the same as uncertainty. Darkness, true darkness, can instill thoughts into the head without the vessel knowing, things that only exist in nightmares can become a permanent part of someone if one is not careful.   I stand up. It seems that I am in a room of some sorts, one of complete silence and no visibility. It is hard for me to justify just standing here. There is not much to see, but who knows maybe I can find something that can give me a clue to where I am at this point. Although the room feels empty, I take the necessary precautions by putting my arms out in front of me. Incase an obstacle is to block my path hopefully it is big enough that my arms will be of use. I start to walk. Despite the pitch dark I still try to spot any signs of life looking up, down, and every side possible. Though it seems like a waste as I am not having any luck. Besides echoes with every step I take, the room has still maintained quiet. Speaking of the echoes, they are heading in the direction I am walking in, each one expanding until it is too distant to hear.  Perhaps if I continue to walk in this direction, I will find something at the end, if there is an end.


The author's comments:

Just a passage from a story I am working on